Road to Hana (Back Side)

2,890 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by DropDemNuggetz
CDub06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I only have a day to spend on the Road to Hana and I'd like to use it in the most effective way.

For those of you that have done it: Is driving the backside of Hana as perilous as people make it seem? I'm thinking making the full loop would be a time saver rather than having to back track (maybe an hour quicker?? I'm not sure how accurate Google Maps is in that area.)

I'm also toying with the idea of doing it backward to beat most of the other tourists to Oheo Gulch. Though, driving on the cliffside of the road does seem a little disconcerting.

I've done the Google streetview, but unfortunately those images are from 2011 and I'm not sure if the conditions are better or worse since then...

(And please spare me the rental car agreement arguments that people on TripAdvisor have been waging for the last 15+ years)
TXTransplant
It's been 2+ years, but I hired a driver who took us the back way. I don't remember the roads/driving being particularly treacherous. There are some places that are effectively one lane, and the road is very twisty-turney, but it didn't feel dangerous. Especially compared to our drives along the Amalfi Coast the year before.

There were a lot fewer people on the road/at the scenic spots when we first started. But as the day went on, each stop became more crowded. Overall, though, it was a fun experience.
BSD
AG
I did the back side this summer (are we not doing phrasing anymore?)

Its not bad. The only issue are some blind curves and not much room. But if you go slow around the curves you'll be fine.

We stayed in Hana for a few nights and did Oheo Gulch one morning. You aren't allowed to legally go into the pools anymore. That was a bummer. But we did the hike up to the waterfall early in the day and only saw one other group on the trail.
Random Ag
AG
I did it 10 years ago in a rented Jeep alone and it was completely fine
Post removed:
by user
JJWAGGIE
AG
Did it last time we were in Maui... no big deal although the car rental companies typically don't allow it. Will do again this summer as it does save some time compared to turning around and fighting the traffic back.
Matsui
AG
Did it last year. Do it. Far less traffic. Wide open spaces. Do it.
Matsui
AG
We were in a suburban
Texaggie7nine
DL the Shaka Guide road to hana app on your phone and do the backwards trip.
Start at sun up if you can.

Only real tricky part is the 1 lane bridges. Just watch out for big busses. You may have to back up a time or two but it's nothing dangerous or super difficult.
7nine
fire09
AG
Did it in a car no problem. Signage is bad but it's hard to get lost.
ramblin_ag02
AG
Did it a few years ago and found it nerve racking, but I'm a country boy who drives open highways most the time. Definitely worth it, but don't expect it to save you time. IIRC correctly, you can drive all around the island in the same amount of time it takes to use the Road to Hana
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
AgRyan04
One of my favorite drives we've done....we went in Jan '18 in a small rental and it wasn't bad at all.

I imagine it would be a little sloppy if there was some rain.
CDub06
AG
Thanks for the feedback. Follow up question: Would you recommend doing the full loop clockwise or counter-clockwise?

Counter-Clockwise will get you to the Gulch before the crowds, but it will also have you facing more on-coming traffic on the traditional Road to Hana. Does having to yield to that many cars on those narrow bridges become an issue?
Texaggie7nine
I talked my mom into doing it backwards when I was there 2 years ago. She has done it backwards ever since because of how much less she has to sit behind buses and cars. And she likes having half of the day with little tourists at each stop.

We never had much of an issue yielding at bridges for oncoming traffic.
7nine
Matsui
AG
You won't yield much. It isn't a big concern at all.
Bitter Old Man
AG
Did it in a Rental Ford Mustang LX. Dont remember anything treacherous, but its been a couple years.
Bitter Old Man
AG
Also, if you are worried about it, rent a jeep for the day. I did a Jeep on just the regular part, and it was a great experience.
Texaggie7nine
FYI, if you haven't rented yet, take a look at Turo.

We rented a older model Mercedes convertible for way cheaper than rental companies had convertibles for. The owner met us at the Airport and dropped it off for us.
7nine
HeightsAg
I'd do it clockwise, just be on the road by 8am and you should be fine with the crowds. If you do it backwards, you will be driving cliffside and with the sun in your eye and that's not ideal.
Matsui
AG
We started by 7 am. Was perfect.
JJWAGGIE
AG
We started early as well... no traffic. Hot banana bread for breakfast at Aunt Sandys.
Phat32
AG
Any recommendations on specific things to see?

We are splitting it into two days (one trip to Hana, night in Hana, then continuing the loop to Kahului on the south side the next day).
AgRyan04
If you're going to be leaving from Hana and going clockwise....We hiked the Pipiwai Trail, which was awesome and then as you drive west, I would go up Haleakala - even if you're not there for sunrise, there are some awesome hikes.
encinoag
AG
yukmonkey said:

Any recommendations on specific things to see?

We are splitting it into two days (one trip to Hana, night in Hana, then continuing the loop to Kahului on the south side the next day).
Get an early start on day 1 Take your time and stop as often as you want. Jump in a waterfall pool. Stop at the winery on day 2 in the upcountry. wine is nothing special but fun and scenic. Maybe stop at Surfing Goat Dairy also and Ocean Vodka Distillery
CDub06
AG
Didn't get to take this trip. Everything shut down a month before. I have it tentatively scheduled for 2022 now.
glagma
AG
CDub06,

We were on Maui three years ago (April 2018) for our daughter's wedding, and we drove the road to Hana for the third time. The road to Hana is significantly better than it was in 1976 when my wife and I went there on our honeymoon. I would highly recommend going down the southeast side of Maui on the road to Hana, but as several people have said, you should leave by 8:00 AM and don't plan anything else for the day as you will often want to stop on the way there. Put another way, it is a full day trip if you really want to see everything.

We have never driven the backside to Hana or the south end of the island, and the road was closed three years ago so we couldn't do it anyway. However, we took a helicopter ride on Maui in 2018, and we flew over the south side of the island from the west end to Hana on the southeast side. The terrain generally looks like West Texas until you hit what I will call the rain line or the tree line. You literally go from no trees to lush trees everywhere as the southwest side of the island gets little rain and the southeast side where Hana is gets over 400 inches a year. And yes, the car rental agreements say you may void the rental agreement and be liable for damage if something happens when you travel on roads where they say not to go.

Personally, I would drive down the southeast side of the island on the road to Hana like everyone else, but just leave early. There are places to eat and to get snacks/refreshments along the way now unlike 45 years ago. You can also stop in Paia at the Hana Picnic Lunch Company and they will pack lunches to go for you. And Aunty Sandy's Banana Bread is definitely worth the stop in Ke-Anae, but you really have to get off the road to get to it.

The road to Hana is incredibly scenic as well as curvy. The bridges are narrow in some places, but not like the one lane bridges with little or no pavement 45 years ago. Some day I would really like to spend a couple of nights in Hana to explore and enjoy the area.

Oheo Gulch or Seven Pools is great, but as one person said, you can no longer swim in the pools. There are however pools and places in which you can swim on the way down. Charles Lindbergh's home and grave are past the Seven Pools area, but we have never been past that point.

Here are a couple of alternative suggestions on things to do:

1. Drive all the way around the north side of the island. From Maalaea drive up the northwest side of the island through Lahaina, Kaanapali, and Kapalua and then on over to the Nakalele Blowhole. Shortly after this point on the northeast side of the island, the official road ends and you are not supposed to take rental cars from that point on down to Kahului. But if you are willing to take the risk, keep driving down the northeast side of the island as it spectacular. In some places, the road is truly one lane and you are up on cliffs that are 800 to 1,000 feet above the ocean or the valley below. I had no idea how beautiful the northeast side of Maui is because hardly anyone goes there. And definitely go clockwise around the north side so you can hug the inside of the road if you have to pass anyone on the northeast side of the island.

2. Take a whole island helicopter tour of Maui (not the one that includes Molokai). We used Blue Hawaiian Helicopters (yes it can be pricey) and the trip we took flew around the north side of the island and then came back down the west side of the island and landed about halfway up Haleakala for a wine and snack break and viewing of the west side of the island. Then we took off again and flew up on top of Haleakala (no landing) and then down the south side of the island over to Hana and then up the east side of the island. My wife and I would tell you that this is one of the 2 or 3 most spectacular things we have ever done in our lifetimes. This is also true of our helicopter ride on Kauai years ago.

I hope that helps some of you who are planning to go to Maui.
Phat32
AG
The northwest part of the island by Nakelele Blowhole is spectacular. I usually do it on the bike, and that's one of the best bike loops you can ever do.

glagma
AG
yukmonkey said:

The northwest part of the island by Nakelele Blowhole is spectacular. I usually do it on the bike, and that's one of the best bike loops you can ever do.

yukmonkey, for clarification purposes I am only calling the northwest side of Maui the part that runs from Lahaina up through Kapalua. Nakalele Blowhole is on what I call the most northern part of the island. From the blowhole going south or southeast on Hwy 340 on the eastern side of the northern part of the island, I am calling it the northeast part of the island. I realize that Maui runs from northwest to southeast or some may say from west to east. Or put another way, the area which I am saying is spectacular is the Hwy 340 road from Nakalele Blowhole going south or southeast down to Kahului. You never hear about it because there are no hotels or condos in that area, and the road is not on the approved car rental road map.
Phat32
AG
Same section I'm discussing. The bike loop I am referring to is the entire west side of the "figure 8" that is Maui. Starts in Kaanapali, goes over and through Kahului, down through Lahaina and back around. Spectacular.

Back to the original point of the thread, are there any other stops that are must sees on Road to Hana?
TexasAggie73
AG
What's fun is driving back from Hana in the rain when the locals are coming home. I was ready for some strong drinks when we got back.
DropDemNuggetz
AG
I did this drive just last week. It is extremely bumpy and narrow for about the first 45 minutes, however from there the road is all paved and easy. I wouldn't define it anymore dangerous than the drive to Hana (regarding narrowness of roads and needing to drive slowly). Assuming you're renting a car that can handle the off road aspect I absolutely recommend continuing the drive through the back side of the island as it's a completely different set of scenery (FYI - it's pretty much entirely deserted but nonetheless it's pretty).
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.