Recs for a long weekend trip to Mexico City

1,755 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Potcake
Potcake
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Wife and I are planning a 3-4 day trip to CDF in February. As of now thinking of vrbo or boutique hotel in Polanco, Roma, or La Condesa. Any opinions on these or other potential options? Is Uber the best option for transport to/from airport and around town?

We're just getting started planning so any recs welcome.
chico
AG
We stay in Condesa, very walkable, tree-lined streets, sidewalk cafes, small parks, several small hotels and restaurants. Polanco is more upscale/trendy full of high-end shops and glitz, not my style.
Uber is definitely the way to go. Very accessible, very cheap. Drivers are reliable and professional.
For a fun alternative, go to the Lucha Libre wrestling! Lotsa fun, be sure to sit up close, it's family friendly.
GiantAntsAttack
AG
I second Lucha Libre, we're not wresting fans but it was a highlight of our trip. Cruising the canals in Xochimilco was also a fun and inexpensive way to kill an hour or two. Uber is very cheap and easy to use there.

We stayed in an Airbnb in Roma, it worked out well.
Potcake
AG
Thanks for info. I think we've settled on FlowSuites Condesa next to Parque Mexico. Really looking forward to this. How much will I have to rely on Spanish? We have gotten by pretty well on multiple trips to Huatulco, Nuevo Laredo, and Playa.
chico
AG
Looks like a good choice of hotel
Most people there speak Spanish only, but you'll be fine as you're an experienced traveler
Have fun!

Edit- try Tizoncito, cool taco joint with group tables outside, walkable from your place. Get the specialty taco with a pineapple slice. They shave the meat from a vertical rotating spit
TXCityAggie
AG
I enjoy the walk from Condesa through Roma Norte and Zona Rosa to the Angel of Indepence. Lots of fun little restaurants and bars along the way.

The subway is a very easy way to get around. I use it almost exclusively when in CDMX. Just avoid during rush hour.

Of course visit the Zocalo. There are some good restaurants on the street from the Zocalo to Bellas Artes to stop and have lunch.

If you are there on Sunday go down to Reforma. They close the street to automobiles and it's full of people biking and walking.
chico
AG
TXCityAggie said:

Of course visit the Zocalo. There are some good restaurants on the street from the Zocalo to Bellas Artes to stop and have lunch.
Venture in the Gran Hotel on the SW corner of the Zocalo. The have an incredible stained-glass ceiling in the lobby. They have a rooftop bar, and some other places along the western side of the Zocalo also have roof-top bars. The food/drinks at these places can be a bit touristy, but the views overlooking the Zocalo are world-class; a great way to enjoy a nice afternoon/evening.
RAB87
AG
No mention of safety? Spent much of my career throughout Mexico. Don't even feel completely safe in Monterrey anymore.
Potcake
AG
We ended up getting a vrbo apartment about a block from the Bosque Chapultepec. It still seems fairly convenient to La Condesa/Roma and the above mentioned sites.

I'm assuming we just use common sense and be aware of surroundings like we would any large city?
Marauder Blue 6
AG
chico said:

Edit- try Tizoncito, cool taco joint with group tables outside, walkable from your place. Get the specialty taco with a pineapple slice. They shave the meat from a vertical rotating spit

Tacos arabes
chico
AG
They call them chilangos there....you're right about Arabes, but chilangos is the name there. I had forgotten and just looked it up

Edit- all I remember is they are pretty damn tasty after a night of drinking!
dc509
AG
Quote:

I'm assuming we just use common sense and be aware of surroundings like we would any large city?

Yes. I love Mexico City and have never felt unsafe there, but things can happen if you're not paying attention. I haven't been in quite a few years, but don't take the VW Bug cabs and stay off the metro. Uber might be the way everyone gets around now anyway. Have fun!
chico
AG
We go for long weekends every year. Only done Uber and they've always been good for us. We stick with Condesa, Roma, Polanco and the museums, restaurants, coffee shops, Chapultepec Park & upscale bars. Other neighborhoods worth exploring are San Angel on Saturdays for their huge arts market and Coyoacan, small but very picture-worthy.
supermanrv
AG
We live in Mexico City, working at the U.S. Embassy. Recommend Polanco or Roma/Condesa, museums, Zocalo, pyramids, Our Lady Guadalupe, La Ciudadela artisian market, Lucha Libre. Xochimilco boats are fun, but 3 days may not be enough time to make it. So many incredible restaurants here, but you need to book a table 3-4 months in advance for Pujol. We take uber. We are most careful going to the ATMs, just like we would be in USA. Recommend using them inside a hotel, or inside a mall, rather than on the street where it is more visible. Or better yet, bring pesos with you. My wife, toddler and I are absolutely loving living here. Send me a PM if you have any questions.
archangelus2
AG
I recommend booking an English tour guide for any museums if you want to learn much. They make make very little accommodations for English only speakers, unlike museums in Europe.
Potcake
AG
Got back last night and we will definitely go back. We didn't get to do everything we wanted but went to the Zocalo and Catedral. Walked down Avenida Mazatlan in Condesa to Avenida Reforma downtown. Both are closed to vehicles on Sundays for bikes, skateboards, pedestrians, etc. Although we were two blocks from Bosque Chapultepec, we tried to go on Monday and it was closed.

Air quality, or lack thereof, kept our eyes burning and nasal issues and we had headaches the first day from altitude. We feel stupid for all the angst we had regarding safety. We never felt unsafe at all. As previously mentioned in thread, Uber was so damn easy. I thought Bali traffic was bad, this was Bali on steroids. I would be killed in a road rage incident within minutes.
Food was excellent.
Macellaria Roma - Italian
La Docena - Roma Norte
Fishers Seafood - brunch in Roma Norte (best chilaquiles I've ever had)
Contramar - Roma Norte (tostadas de atun and shrimp aguachile were awesome)
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.