Destination wedding in Thailand, planning trip around it

2,837 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by FancyKetchup14
P.C. Principal
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Going to a wedding in Koh Samui in early August and I'm super stoked about it. First time to Asia.

So, I'm seeking the travel board's wisdom in planning my trip! Estimated time over there will be two-ish weeks. I want to see so much but realistically I know I need to limit myself to places so I'm not constantly on the go.

Bangkok is an obvious must. It will be my jumping off point to Koh Samui as well.

I also would love to see Vietnam and Cambodia. Though I can probably only do one of those.

I've always wanted to go to Hong Kong. That may be a good port of entry since there's a nonstop from DFW. I'm aware that the protests could cause problems, but based on my research, HK is safe for tourists, just keep clear of the protests.

Singapore would be cool too. But considering the length of the trip, I may just spend a day or 2 there at the end of the trip and fly out of there.

Sadly Japan is probably out. I'll be overseas for pretty much the entire Olympics so I know it'll be stupid expensive there.

I was thinking fly into HK, then to Vietnam, then BKK, then Koh Samui, then Singapore, and back home. However realistically I probably need to eliminate one of those places to make it a good trip.

Thoughts? Advice? Recommendations from those familiar with SE Asia?
FancyKetchup14
AG
You need two days max in Singapore. And truth-be-told, it's not somewhere I'd vacation back to. Sure, it's nice and all, but there are just way better places to visit in SE Asia. If you just really want to go to Singapore, I'd try to end there and fly out from there.

You could also use some of those two weeks in Thailand. Head up north to Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, or Pai (Pai especially if you like mushrooms, hippie towns, and backpackers). I'd spend maybe one night in Bangkok, do Khao San Road, eat some $.60 street stall Pad Thai, and GTFO. I love Thailand, just not BK so much.

I wasn't the biggest fan of Cambodia but it has a lot to offer. Angkor Wat is one of the most stunning things I've ever witnessed. How that's not a "wonder of the world" is a travesty. There are some beautiful lakes and rivers up near the Laotion border. And if you want more beach time the Koh Rong islands are really quiet.

Why I didn't like it....it's probably the second hottest place I've ever visited. It's like Houston in August, but worse. I also felt like the locals weren't as friendly as other SE Asia countries I've visited. I thought their food sucked and got really sick from it. I've visited a lot of countries and have gotten sick abroad maybe 3x, and no time did I call the dinosaurs as I did in Cambodia. I know some people who loved Cambodia and it's one of their top places over there, it just wasn't my favorite.

(You will need to get a VISA on arrival in Cambodia. It costs $35 and you can either bring cash or hope they have ATMs that are working)

I for one cannot recommend Vietnam enough, but you'd need to get out of Thailand immediately after the wedding and go over there. You underestimate how big it is. Highlights, Ho Chi Minh and south to the rice bowl and Mekong Delta. Da Nang and Hoi An in the middle, Hoi An is incredibly touristic, but it's beautiful and the food is insane. Up north near Hanoi you can do so much. Hiking in Sa Pa, motorbiking the Ha Giang loop - one of the top 3 coolest things I've ever done - and visiting Ha Long Bay. It's an incredibly cheap country with some amazing food and really great locals.

(You also might need to get a VISA on arrival for 'Nam. It's going to cost around $25 and there is likely a 'processing fee' of ~$20).

Check out Malaysia. I really liked it there. KL is a cool city, and Malacca, and Penang are great destinations. Indonesia is also spectacular. So many awesome islands. Personally recommend Bali, Java (just Yogyakarta, however), Gili's, Lombok, Nusa Penida, Komodo. Have heard Borneo is incredible as is Sumatra. There's a cool Catamaran/Boat you can do that sails through Indonesian islands for a week, I'll try and find the information.

Unemployed
AG
Quote:

(You also might need to get a VISA on arrival for 'Nam. It's going to cost around $25 and there is likely a 'processing fee' of ~$20).

You can do this online now for $25.
FancyKetchup14
AG
RealTalk said:

Quote:

Correct. I got a piece of paper I had to print off and take with me. I still obtained the actual visa at the airport, however. Should've been more specific.
Unemployed
AG
FancyKetchup14 said:

RealTalk said:

Quote:

Correct. I got a piece of paper I had to print off and take with me. I still obtained the actual visa at the airport, however. Should've been more specific.
Yes - one option is to get an approval letter and then obtain the actual visa at the airport.

But now, you don't have to do that anymore. You can get an e-Visa online for $25 and you're set. When you go through immigration, just show them the e-Visa doc and passport and you're good to go.

https://evisa.xuatnhapcanh.gov.vn/en_US/trang-chu-ttdt
HollywoodBQ
AG
P.C. Principal said:

I've always wanted to go to Hong Kong. That may be a good port of entry since there's a nonstop from DFW. I'm aware that the protests could cause problems, but based on my research, HK is safe for tourists, just keep clear of the protests.

Singapore would be cool too. But considering the length of the trip, I may just spend a day or 2 there at the end of the trip and fly out of there.

Sadly Japan is probably out. I'll be overseas for pretty much the entire Olympics so I know it'll be stupid expensive there.
In the past 4 months, for work, I've done Singapore, Hong Kong twice and Japan. I'll be headed back to Japan soon for work again.

In Hong Kong, as long as you act sensibly and keep your wits about you, you're in no danger whatsoever. The protests are well organised and well communicated in advance. You literally have to want to get yourself in the middle of a protest. I did that and have some interesting video that I keep meaning to post.

There's a much more to do in Hong Kong than there is in Singapore but I'd say 2-3 days, you can put a pretty good dent in it.

In Singapore, I'd say that you should plan to spend two days there but, there really isn't much more to do beyond two days worth of activities. I've been going there frequently for the past 10 years.

What I do recommend is, touring the gardens with the Super Trees and most importantly, you MUST go to the top of Marina Bay Sands. Ideally if you can spend one night there, you can access the pool. Totally worth it. If you don't stay there, you can access the bar next to the pool as a night club type thing.

If you want an equally good view, there's a bar on the top floor of the Swissotel. Just be prepared to pay $25 for a drink.

Also, while at Changi Airport, be sure to check out the Koi fish and the butterflies.

You'll want to spend as long as you can in Japan and not at ridiculous prices so, I'd make that a separate trip. Easy nonstop from DFW.

wessimo
AG
I've been to nearly all the places mentioned in this thread and in my opinion Angkor Wat has to be at the top of your list, It is absolutely amazing.

http://theintrepidfamily.com/amazing-angkor/

Luang Prabang Laos is also high on the list. If you have time you can fly to Chiang Rai Thailand and take the two day longboat trip on the Mekong to LP.

Next would be a combo trip of Hanoi / Ha Long Bay.

I like Singapore but it kinda feels like Vegas and going there is not nearly as eye-opening as the places above.

HK is a major gamble. We got inadvertently tear gassed there in July and were lucky not to get caught up in the shut down of the metro and airport.

Bangkok is not worth a long stop imo. The Grand Palace and some of the temples are interesting but the traffic is horrible and scam artists are everywhere.

Have fun!
wessimo
AG
HollywoodBQ said:

In Hong Kong, as long as you act sensibly and keep your wits about you, you're in no danger whatsoever. The protests are well organised and well communicated in advance. You literally have to want to get yourself in the middle of a protest. I did that and have some interesting video that I keep meaning to post.

I shared this opinion but the truth is that the protests aren't always well communicated and protestors can suddenly decide to break off and march toward any number of targets.

We stayed in Sheung Wan and were returning to our hotel after a day out. When we got off the MTR we were suddenly swarmed by a column of protestors. We got separated for a while and as we tried to find a route back to the hotel we got a nice dose of tear gas. I wasn't scared for our safety and it was quite a unique experience for the kids.

As I mentioned above, we were lucky not to miss our flight out because the protesters targeted the airport a few days later and it had to be shut down.

ClickClackAg31
AG
My wife and I actually spent 10 days on Koh Samui for our honeymoon. We weren't about traveling around for that trip, just wanted to sit our *** on the beach and relax. That being said, we ran into a ton of people who were doing a 3 or 4 stop trip in the area and they ALL were going to Koh Samui, Chang Mai, Angkor Wat, and Bangkok. Most of them were on a 10-14 day trip so each place is completely doable in 2-3 days (from what we gathered). Not sure how you're getting to Samui, we flew through Bangkok so maybe you can just fly in early, spend a couple days in Bangkok and then fly down for the wedding.

Couple things I'd hit.

• Everyone raved about Angkor Wat and seems like those on here are already saying the same.
  • Since you're in Koh Samui, you have to do the Ang Thong National Park. Its an archipelago of about 40+ small islands and is absolutely beautiful. One of our favorite things we've seen. You can just do an excursion and they'll take you through all of the islands, snorkel, and be able to climb up the viewpoints at a couple spots.
  • You can also do Koh Tao which is super close by and another fun island to check out. There are jetski tours available to see the whole area as well. Full/Half moon parties happen on Koh Tao I believe if you're into that kind of thing.
  • Chang Mai, i.e. the jungles of Thailand. Everyone we spoke with was going here as well. Apparently if you wanna see elephants and do it the right way, Chang Mai is where you go. Sounds like everywhere else is just abusing the elephants. Chang Mai is known for being an elephant sanctuary.

Like I said, we spent our entire time on Koh Samui, but we absolutely loved it. We've been to a lot of places including the South Pacific and what you get for the price, the quality and genuine people there, and just the beauty of the area is unmatched. We'll be back for sure. Our favorite spot no doubt.
HollywoodBQ
AG
wessimo said:

HollywoodBQ said:

I shared this opinion but the truth is that the protests aren't always well communicated and protestors can suddenly decide to break off and march toward any number of targets.

We stayed in Sheung Wan and were returning to our hotel after a day out. When we got off the MTR we were suddenly swarmed by a column of protestors. We got separated for a while and as we tried to find a route back to the hotel we got a nice dose of tear gas. I wasn't scared for our safety and it was quite a unique experience for the kids.

As I mentioned above, we were lucky not to miss our flight out because the protesters targeted the airport a few days later and it had to be shut down.
Two things -

One is, I was there for work so I did have local contacts who speak Cantonese and were tied in to the latest news which was not necessarily easy to obtain for English speakers in a hotel. But, the hotel staff would have communicated this to me if I didn't already have the latest information on "The Situation".

Second is, I stayed in Causeway Bay which was the epicenter for several of the protests while I was there. I did have to make my movements timely and deliberate to cope with the early closing of businesses and early closings of train stations but, these were well communicated in advance - even in English.

The night that I walked through the protest and took pictures, I could have easily walked over a few blocks and gone around it but frankly, the police didn't have guns drawn (like they did the day before) and the protesters were just yelling at that point. Honestly, I found it fascinating.

Also in my favour is the fact that I'm traveling solo and I'm a big guy whose physical appearance looks like the Minnesota Vikings logo so, nobody is going to deliberately mess with me because it's pretty obvious that I'm an American. Especially when I was wearing my Space Force hat with the American flag on the side.

I'm not saying I was overconfident or was trying to cause trouble, I'm just saying that I wasn't the target of the protests and I did my best to let anyone paying attention know that I'm just an observer, please let me go about my business.

P.C. Principal
ClickClackAg31 said:

My wife and I actually spent 10 days on Koh Samui for our honeymoon. We weren't about traveling around for that trip, just wanted to sit our *** on the beach and relax. That being said, we ran into a ton of people who were doing a 3 or 4 stop trip in the area and they ALL were going to Koh Samui, Chang Mai, Angkor Wat, and Bangkok. Most of them were on a 10-14 day trip so each place is completely doable in 2-3 days (from what we gathered). Not sure how you're getting to Samui, we flew through Bangkok so maybe you can just fly in early, spend a couple days in Bangkok and then fly down for the wedding.

Couple things I'd hit.

• Everyone raved about Angkor Wat and seems like those on here are already saying the same.
  • Since you're in Koh Samui, you have to do the Ang Thong National Park. Its an archipelago of about 40+ small islands and is absolutely beautiful. One of our favorite things we've seen. You can just do an excursion and they'll take you through all of the islands, snorkel, and be able to climb up the viewpoints at a couple spots.
  • You can also do Koh Tao which is super close by and another fun island to check out. There are jetski tours available to see the whole area as well. Full/Half moon parties happen on Koh Tao I believe if you're into that kind of thing.
  • Chang Mai, i.e. the jungles of Thailand. Everyone we spoke with was going here as well. Apparently if you wanna see elephants and do it the right way, Chang Mai is where you go. Sounds like everywhere else is just abusing the elephants. Chang Mai is known for being an elephant sanctuary.

Like I said, we spent our entire time on Koh Samui, but we absolutely loved it. We've been to a lot of places including the South Pacific and what you get for the price, the quality and genuine people there, and just the beauty of the area is unmatched. We'll be back for sure. Our favorite spot no doubt.
Awesome info, thanks! Man, there's so much to see and do down there. I want to do a similar trip as those people and hit BKK, Chang Mai, etc. Looks like there's plenty to do in Koh Samui for several days.
P.C. Principal
Thanks BQ! I've always had an interest in HK. Beautiful city with a unique and interesting history, fusion between Chinese and British culture, just sounds really cool. Any things in HK you'd consider must-sees?
Birdwatcher
AG
I visited Hong Kong last January. Be sure to take the tram up to see the Big Buddah
TXCityAggie
AG
I would go from Samui to BKK, spend a few days there (my favorite city in SE Asia) then fly over to Siem Reap for three nights. That gives you a day for Angkor Wat and a day to enjoy Siem Reap. From there I would go to Vietnam and spend the rest of the time there or go back to Thailand and head up north since you will have already experienced a beach. Singapore is ok, but very stale compared to the rest of the region.
P.C. Principal
Can someone help me out with the good amount of time to spend in a given place? Like, do I need more than 2 days in Bangkok?

For 2 weeks, here's what I'm thinking now... could change at any point:

HK
Chiang Mai (OR sub that for Siem Reap/Angkor)
Bangkok
Koh Samui
Singapore (maybe... might eliminate this one and stick with 4)

This all really depends on how long is "enough" in each stop. Siem Reap would be mainly to see Angkor Wat, but I'm sure there's a ton of other stuff to see in the region too.
TXCityAggie
AG
With two weeks I would pick three places...just my opinion. Flying between these places will cut into your time...getting to the airport early, flight time, settling into your new hotel, etc.

Bangkok needs three full days (at a minimum) if you really want to make it worth it.

Something like Bangkok, Koh Samui, and Chiang Mai or Siem Reap would be a great two week trip. You would get the beach, a big SE Asia city, and then a smaller town filled with temples....good mix.
P.C. Principal
TXCityAggie said:

With two weeks I would pick three places...just my opinion. Flying between these places will cut into your time...getting to the airport early, flight time, settling into your new hotel, etc.

Bangkok needs three full days (at a minimum) if you really want to make it worth it.

Something like Bangkok, Koh Samui, and Chiang Mai or Siem Reap would be a great two week trip. You would get the beach, a big SE Asia city, and then a smaller town filled with temples....good mix.
Thanks. I'm thinking 4 stops is ideal and that looks like a good itinerary. I still have a bit of time to decide. there is such an incredible amount to see in that region of the world. Major first world problem... stressing out about where to go on my SE Asia vacation.
P.C. Principal
FancyKetchup14 said:

You could also use some of those two weeks in Thailand. Head up north to Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, or Pai (Pai especially if you like mushrooms, hippie towns, and backpackers). I'd spend maybe one night in Bangkok, do Khao San Road, eat some $.60 street stall Pad Thai, and GTFO. I love Thailand, just not BK so much.

What did you think of Pai? Is it a must-do if I'm in Northern Thailand? People are recommending I go and it definitely looks cool. But it's like a 4 hour bus ride from Chiang Mai. How many days are enough there?
FancyKetchup14
AG
P.C. Principal said:

FancyKetchup14 said:

What did you think of Pai? Is it a must-do if I'm in Northern Thailand? People are recommending I go and it definitely looks cool. But it's like a 4 hour bus ride from Chiang Mai. How many days are enough there?
It depends on what kind of person you are. Personally, I'd choose 2 full days in Pai over 2 full days in Chiang Mai. There's certainly more to do in and around Chiang Mai, I just like the atmosphere in Pai way more. August is peak rainy season there, so the landscape around Pai will be really green. There are lots of hiking trails nearby and there's even a river you can float down kind of as we do in Texas.

Locals call it the "Pai-Hole" because a bunch of patchouli wearing hippies visit there and then seemingly never leave. There are tons of backpackers. It's really quiet but there's a solid nightlife scene. Like the rest of Thailand, it's fairly inexpensive. The food is great (try Khao Soi - it's specific to the region).

I rented a motorbike in CM and drove to Pai. I didn't do the bus option but clearly heaps of people do, and it's certainly safer than what I did.

I love Pai. But I'm very much the backpacker type and into that kind of crowd.

P.C. Principal
FancyKetchup14 said:

P.C. Principal said:

FancyKetchup14 said:

It depends on what kind of person you are. Personally, I'd choose 2 full days in Pai over 2 full days in Chiang Mai. There's certainly more to do in and around Chiang Mai, I just like the atmosphere in Pai way more. August is peak rainy season there, so the landscape around Pai will be really green. There are lots of hiking trails nearby and there's even a river you can float down kind of as we do in Texas.

Locals call it the "Pai-Hole" because a bunch of patchouli wearing hippies visit there and then seemingly never leave. There are tons of backpackers. It's really quiet but there's a solid nightlife scene. Like the rest of Thailand, it's fairly inexpensive. The food is great (try Khao Soi - it's specific to the region).

I rented a motorbike in CM and drove to Pai. I didn't do the bus option but clearly heaps of people do, and it's certainly safer than what I did.

Sounds like I would love Pai. I booked my flights. I'm getting to Chiang Mai (first stop of the trip) on a Sunday afternoon. Maybe 2 nights there, then 2 nights in Pai? Aiming to get to Bangkok by that Friday. I think that's doable?
bluefire579
AG
Tacking on to this thread since we're planning a similar trip (hope you don't mind op). What's the easiest way to get around the region? Trains? Car? Flying?

How about Laos? Are there any must see sights there?
TXCityAggie
AG
Flying is by far the easiest way to get around. Trains and busses are extremely time consuming. Flights in the region are generally very cheap.

Luang Prabang is a must see in Laos. It's probably my favorite town in SE Asia. Absolutely beautiful setting.
P.C. Principal
bluefire579 said:

Tacking on to this thread since we're planning a similar trip (hope you don't mind op). What's the easiest way to get around the region? Trains? Car? Flying?

How about Laos? Are there any must see sights there?
How dare you try to hijack my thread. Kidding, the more the merrier.

I'm going to fly. So much faster than everything and flights from Chiang Mia to BKK are like 20 bucks. I have to take a bus to Pai though, because no airport.

My buddy from A&M lived in Laos out of college. He loved it and highly recommended it. It's a little more off the beaten path though.
gggmann
AG
Domestic flights are cheap and easy since there isn't any immigration to deal with. You can fly into either Don Mueang or Swampy (Suvarnabhumi). Another option is to take an overnight train. I've done that many times going between Bangkok and Isaan. 2nd class cars are a great value.

This site has all of the details on train travel in LOS (Land of Smiles) as well as other countries: https://www.seat61.com/Thailand.htm

I've taken buses numerous times as well. They are ok for short trips (~2 hrs). I try to avoid long trips, but if you need to take bus make sure it is a VIP bus - they are pretty nice.
bluefire579
AG
Thanks, all good to know. We're still in the early planning stages, so need to figure out specifics of what we want to see and do, but knowing flights are cheap and easy in the region should definitely help with things
P.C. Principal
bluefire579 said:

Thanks, all good to know. We're still in the early planning stages, so need to figure out specifics of what we want to see and do, but knowing flights are cheap and easy in the region should definitely help with things
Where are you flying from? I got a cheap flight notification for flights from Houston or Dallas to Bangkok over the weekend. But could be gone now, idk.
bluefire579
AG
P.C. Principal said:

bluefire579 said:

Where are you flying from? I got a cheap flight notification for flights from Houston or Dallas to Bangkok over the weekend. But could be gone now, idk.
Houston
TXCityAggie
AG
There were round trip flights from Houston to Bangkok for $535 when I looked yesterday. This was for June/July. I believe it was on Eva.
bluefire579
AG
We're shooting for December for our trip. I am seeing close to that price, around 600-700 round trip, so going to play it by ear for the moment.
TXCityAggie
AG
bluefire579 said:

We're shooting for December for our trip. I am seeing close to that price, around 600-700 round trip, so going to play it by ear for the moment.
Keep an eye on Singapore Airlines. You may be able to snag a great deal on Premium Economy tickets out of Houston if things keep going as they are now.
bluefire579
AG
Thanks for the tip, will do.
FancyKetchup14
AG
P.C. Principal said:

FancyKetchup14 said:

P.C. Principal said:

FancyKetchup14 said:

Sounds like I would love Pai. I booked my flights. I'm getting to Chiang Mai (first stop of the trip) on a Sunday afternoon. Maybe 2 nights there, then 2 nights in Pai? Aiming to get to Bangkok by that Friday. I think that's doable?

Very doable.

Places in Pai I recommend checking out:

- Om Garden - not really Thai food, but a solid lunch place. Out of this world. If they have the banoffee, get it.
- Na's Kitchen - great Thai food. Curries are fantastic.
- FAT CAT - great sandwiches and awesome little restaurant with their own garden in the back.
- Why Not? - It's just a bar. But you should go.
- Don't Cry - the late-night bar that you go to after the other bars close. It's an experience/adventure. Plus afterward, you can get pad thai from PaTui, the street stall woman across the street.
- Pai Canyon - Cool little outlook outside of Pai on the way to Chiang Mai
- (And if you're into the more...psychedelic side of things. Head to Paradise Bar and order a "happy shake")

And an FYI: The food on the walking street is hit and miss. The Thai food is obviously fantastic, but if there is a guy still making quesadillas don't get them. My buddy got one and I tried them and thought they were terrible.

In Chiang Mai:

- Northgate Jazz Coop. AWESOME little bar/music venue. You have to go. Best live music in Chiang Mai.
- Freebird cafe (non-profit helping Burmese migrants. Great food. The Shan salads are awesome)
- All the little temples in and around Chiang Mai are worth checking out. Although none in particular stand out to me.
- Elephants - if this is something you want to do I implore you to do it through an ethical organization. I can personally recommend this place: Elephant Nature Park.

Enjoy Pai/Chaing Mai. They're the best parts of Thailand.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.