Where would you go if you were given travel money

1,968 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by blue70
Tex Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
$4500 anywhere you wanted to go
What options? Why? I have two kids, 2nd and 4th grade, could take or leave behind...been to Disney, so not that
FancyKetchup14
AG
$4500 and I could go wherever?

I'd either go to New Zealand and hike and drink wine, or go to Chile and start up north and work my way to Patagonia and hike, then drink wine near Santiago. Maybe even tie in Easter island.

Why? I've been to Chile and it's the most beautiful place I've ever stepped foot. Plus chilenos are really kind, and a blast.
Never been to NZ but it's on my short list.

You could do a badass trip anywhere in SE Asia but I'd go to the Philippines or Indonesia with that budget.

Why? SE Asia food and culture is so fun. Indonesians are really kind, and the diving over there is superb.

You could blow out at the Galpagos Islands for a week.

Why? Well I've never been but I think it would be a blast.

Take a big tour of Italy or France and come back 20 pounds heavier.

Why? Should be self explanatory. The Italian countryside is stunning. The people are awesome. The food is incredible.

All scenarios I'd ditch kids.
Matsui
gif
If you have $4500 and only go to Galveston, leave kids behind.
Vernada
AG
$4500 doesn't get a family of 4 very far.
HollywoodBQ
AG
He did say "I" rather than "we" so maybe it's only split 3 ways.

To put things in perspective regarding the NZ suggestion, it usually costs me about $12,000 to fly my family of four between Australia and the USA during school holidays.

So, for that $4500, I'd be looking at a trip to Manhattan, Puerto Rico, or Alaska.
TXCityAggie
AG
I'd go to Southeast Asia and leave the kids. So much to see and do and that amount of money would go far there....even after the flights are purchased.
Texaggie7nine
On that budget

Without kids

Spain, especially the southern part. Seville, Cadiz, Granada, Cordoba, Madrid. Air Bnbs and good food and drinks are all really cheap in Spain.

With kids

Destin, FL
7nine
FrontPorchAg
Italian Alps is a good option. My wife and I got tickets to Venice for $650 a person. Audi A3 rental was $15/day and Airbnb's ran about $100 a night. Did a week in the Dolomites for less than $3,500.
All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others
FrontPorchAg
Also even with a family of four check out the Canadian Alpine Clubs Huts:
https://www.alpineclubofcanada.ca/web/ACCMember/Huts/Home.aspx
You can rent some of them for as little as $40/day and have an entire sections of mountain ranges to your self.

Want to really go next level? Check out the Great Cairn Hut: https://www.alpineclubofcanada.ca/web/ACCMember/Huts/Ben_Ferris_Great_Cairn_Hut.aspx

Basically, a stone cabin in some of the most beautiful part of the Canadian Rockies. You can backpack in or catch a helicopter taxi for a $300.

Point being you can do some pretty amazing trips for way less than $4,500
All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others
CanyonAg77
AG
TXCityAggie said:

I'd go to Southeast Asia and leave the kids.
Wouldn't you miss them when you got home?
wealeat09
AG
Budgeted properly, two people could spend two weeks in Europe on $4500 and have an incredible time.

A buddy and I did 11 nights for right around $2000 each. Staying in 3 star hotels in city centers. Paying for at least one tour or admission fee daily. And we cut costs by mostly eating street food, which is incredible in Europe anyway.
P.C. Principal
Tex Aggie said:

$4500 anywhere you wanted to go
What options? Why? I have two kids, 2nd and 4th grade, could take or leave behind...been to Disney, so not that
Not gonna lie, if you said you'd use that money to go to Disney as an adult and without the kids, I'd be judging you very hard right now.
Tex Aggie
AG
Thanks for all the suggestions. Looking into them
smucket
AG
Something different could be a narrow boat charter in England. Never done it, but it would be within the budget you suggest.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/cruises/river-cruises/UK-Classic-canal-routes/

https://britainexpress.com/great_british_sites/waterways.htm

This is the website where I got the idea
https://cruisingthecut.co.uk/
blue70
I would go on one of those Antarctica cruises, or one of the National Geographic private expeditions by plane.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.