Tips for Thailand?

2,029 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by CastleRock
Wolfpac 08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So the wife and I are heading to Thailand next week for 12 days. We're trying to finish up our last minute checklist. Bangkok -> Chiang Mai -> Phu ket

What do we need to know?
What are the necessities we should bring?
Anything to be wary of?
SwissAgg
AG
Wolfpac 08 said:

So the wife and I are heading to Thailand next week for 12 days. We're trying to finish up our last minute checklist. Bangkok -> Chiang Mai -> Phu ket

What do we need to know?
What are the necessities we should bring?
Anything to be wary of?
I would recommend a trip to Ayutthaya. It is the old capitol. There are pretty cool ruins to see.

It is about 1 hour from Bangkok.

Chiang Rai also is pretty cool. It is about one hour from Chiang Mai.

Scam: One thing I have heard is about a scooter rental scam. You pay a deposit on a scooter on

one that is already scratched up a bit. Then they blame you for the damages. At that point,

they can either charge your credit card or you have to pay cash.
FancyKetchup14
AG
"40 Baht 2 Stop!"

The tuk-tuks in Bangkok have deals with suit shops all over the city. They bring you by while these shops try and pressure you into buying a suit or some sh*t, and the driver gets a liter of gas from the shop.

Just add 20 Baht and say "no stop" and save yourself the headache.

Unless you really want a cheap suit.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
If you do the dinner cruise make sure you get a good boat. Ours played Kenny G the whole ride and put us to sleep. Other boats on the river were partying their asses off.
Papaya salad from street vendors, as well as chicken on a stick.
Hou-Ag
AG
Chiang Mai: Flight of the Gibbons (jungle treetop zip line), Elephant Sanctuary, Wat Doi Suthep temple (great views), weekend night market

Bangkok:
-good money exchanges on lower level of airport by airport link train.
-bring clean crisp 100 dollar bills. Banks and some exchanges won't take bended, dirty, written-on, etc bills
-try to get taxis to use meter instead of set price
-Sukhumvit is great area for bars/restaurants etc
-Skip Khao San Road (super touristy, no trains near by)
-New Icon Siam mall on river is cool
-King Power building (glass skywalk/great views of city)
-Plenty of sky bars/restaurants

*bars ****et- try to pay for each drink if you can. Seen many disputes at end of night. You don't want the Muay Thai boxing bouncers called on you.

**Renting scooters, wave runners etc can get sketchy. Nothing will ruin trip faster than getting in scooter accident

***I'm assuming you are taking a domestic flight from BKK to ****et. Watch the weight of your check-in bags as they will charge you extra for going over.

Wolfpac 08
AG
Thanks for all of the great tips!

Anyone gotten a tattoo in Thailand? Any suggestions there? I'd like to do a traditional Sak Yant tattoo, and have done a lot of research, but wanted to see if any of you guys had any experience.
wessimo
AG
We were in Bangkok & Chiang Mai in July; here's our blog post about Chiang Mai:

http://theintrepidfamily.com/chillin-in-chiang-mai/

We didn't run into any problems in Bangkok but you do have to be really careful with the tuk tuks because they will try to take you to a "gem shop" or overcharge you. Download the Grab app (works like Uber).
DannyDuberstein
AG
When someone asks you what the capital is, cover your junk.
HeightsAg
No need to use money exchanges - those are always bad deals. Get a no fees credit card and use it when you can and for cash, just take money out of the ATM.
Tormentos
AG
Skip ****et...and pick something less touristy. You are going to be surrounded by Russians.

Bangkok itinerary for 1 day...
Stay at muse hotel
Get some shirts/suits tailored at Pennisula Tailor
Hit up rooftop bar at Muse around 530pm
Go get some thai street food for dinner
Havana social club for drinks/cigars around 9pm
Apoteka for live blues around 11pm
Wall down soi 11 and head to Soi cowboy susy wong's to round the night out...whatever you do dont take the balloon...
javajaws
AG
You can get a personal tour guide in Bangkok for around $100 for the day - highly suggest doing so if you can. I can recommend yourthaiguide.com.
javajaws
AG
HeightsAg said:

No need to use money exchanges - those are always bad deals. Get a no fees credit card and use it when you can and for cash, just take money out of the ATM.
Probably too late for OP, but get a Schwab account for travel. They'll reimburse ATM fees, don't charge a monthly fee or withdrawal fee, and don't charge for currency conversion. Best deal out there.
Post removed:
by user
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.