Best place to stay in London for solo trip (32 year old male)

1,798 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by wealeat09
wealeat09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I kind of said it all in the thread title. I think I have all my sight seeing plan sorted out, but I'm just wondering what area I should stay.

It's easy enough to get around the city, so I'm primarily looking for a good neighborhood where I can get dinner and drinks each night and be close to my hotel. I tentatively have a hotel booked near Paddington Station (in Marylebone technically), but I can always cancel.

Thoughts?
JMac03
AG
I think that is a decent area. A lot of my clients stay in the Lancaster area, which is just a few blocks south of what you have booked. When I went, I stayed in the Knightsbridge area, which is just on the otherside of the Hyde Park.

Your location does look easier to get to from the airport than where I stayed. Granted it was my first time ever riding trains and overseas (although I was with my brother and he was my guide for the first part of the trip). I seem to remember having to change trains but it does not appear you would have to (but not 100%, just did a quick look on Google Maps)
wealeat09
AG
Yep, for Heathrow it's great. I already booked by Heathrow Express ticket for 7.50, which seems cheap compared to an hour on the tube at minimum. 10-15 minute walk from there to the hotel.

I like arriving in the central station in European cities and walking to my hotel, so that's kind of why I selected this one.

My flight out of London is headed to Lisbon and I'm flying out of Gatwick, which will take about an hour on the tube.

From everything I've read, Marylebone is an up and coming neighborhood and sort of fits my needs well.

Still up for a better suggestion if anyone has one.
FancyKetchup14
AG
Nottinghill area was a good time. My hostel was great, though. Go check out Camden Market in Camden Town.

How long are you in Lisbon for? Such a badass city
wealeat09
AG
Only for like 24 hours. Quick trip for a concert in London, but TAP had an excellent deal with a stopover in Lisbon so I jumped on it.

I've never been, so I'd love some recs on must-sees in my short time there.
wealeat09
AG
Only for like 24 hours. Quick trip for a concert in London, but TAP had an excellent deal with a stopover in Lisbon so I jumped on it.

I've never been, so I'd love some recs on must-sees in my short time there.
Old RV Ag
AG
Marylebone is a fantastic area. I would recommend the Blanford Hotel on Chiltern Street. We use it as an overflow when our flat in Portman Mansions has too many to hold. Rooms are small but modern, clean and location is fantastic. Inexpensive and neighborhood hotel. It's right next to Baker Street Station which is a main underground hub, close to Regents Park, close to Baker Street and Marylebone High Street for restaurants, shopping, etc. Pubs nearby and down the south end of the High Street. Check out the Wallace Collection down the road (walking distance) in the neighborhood which is one of the best but uncrowded museums. Also, walking distance to Oxford Street or one stop from Baket Street Station to Bond Street on the Jubilee line.
Mr. McGibblets
AG
I loved Covent Gardens. Had everything within walking distance.
Always_Right
AG
I've stayed in both Westminster and the Hyde Park areas of London. Westminster was great for access to the "touristy'" things in London and access to the tube. Hyde Park gave you more of a local feel and it was great to wake up each morning and walk through the park.
ChipFTAC01
AG
Marley one is a great centrally located neighborhood. I've never stayed there but we love to go and wander around the pubs and the shots there. Reminds me of maybe Greenwich village in NY
wealeat09
AG
Sounds like I'm in a great spot, then! Thanks for the feedback.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.