Acadia National Park

1,195 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Jay@AgsReward.com
BSD
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looking for suggs and recs for Acadia. I'll be with my wife and 11 year old son in early June. Is Bar Harbor a good place to stay? Are there fishing guides? Good restaurants?

Any help is appreciated! We
Fairview
AG
My in-laws went to Acadia every summer for over 30 years before moving up there. I went along a few times and we'd always stay in waterfront condos or a house in Bass Harbor or Southwest Harbor. That's on the other side of Acadia as Bar Harbor and much smaller and laid back. None of it is that far away on Mt Desert Island. It just depends if you want to be in city or out a little bit.

You'll figure out all the usuals at Acadia - Bubbles, eating popovers at restaurant etc. I don't have any rec's on fishing guides - we usually stuck with everything lobster.
Pro Sandy
AG
It's been a few years, but here is my report from 2011.

https://texags.com/forums/54/topics/1843495
txags92
AG
Honestly, in the research I did, there are not many saltwater charter guides out there. Seems like most of the saltwater fishing is on larger party boats and the guided smaller charters are mostly aimed towards freshwater. We ended up chartering a half day with a guide out of Bass Harbor. We went with Bass Harbor Island Cruises and chartered their boat the "Fifinella" with Sarge as our guide. 1/2 day was $600. He took us south out into the Cranberry Islands south of Mount Desert Island. We had 3 adults and 3 teen boys and there was room for all of us on the boat, but really only room for 4 to easily fish at any given time. We were mostly jigging using cut mackerel. We caught quite a few cod, a couple of Acadian Redfish, and a few other random things that I have forgotten. There was a moratorium on keeping cod this year, but it sounds like the numbers are coming back and they are hopeful that there will be some recreation catch allowed to be kept next year. It was a good trip, lots of beautiful scenery, but if you are looking for world class gamefishing, the nearshore waters are probably not going to be much fun for you. If you just want a peaceful day on the water to let some kids catch some fish, it is a good time.

As for places to stay, there are tons of VRBO/AirBnBs up there. Unless you just really want to be in town at a hotel, for a small family (or even a large one), there lots of great deals that will get you a house or a cottage in the woods and many will be right on the water.
Apache
AG
We stayed in Ellsworth & drove in each day to say a little $. Drive wasn't bad at all.... Acadia is actually spread out so you'll have to drive anyway.

Regarding the fishing, we went out with Acadian Boat Tours. It's a big boat, holds about 30-40 people.
Caught quite a few fish, saw some eagles, seals & a huge sunfish. It was a nice way to spend a half day, but definitely a different experience than a small guided trip for just your family.
Jay@AgsReward.com
Sponsor
AG
If you like to eat well, make sure you spend a bit of time in Portland.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.