Atlanta - Best Areas to Stay

4 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by DTP02
TheFonz
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Heading to Atlanta later this month for the GA game. We'd prefer to avoid staying downtown but don't know enough about the surrounding areas. Any recommendations on best suburbs to stay?
BSD
AG
We are staying at the Grand Hyatt in Buckhead for $126 a night. Good area, good price.
Kool
AG
What are you looking for? Night life? Quiet? Access to restaurants? Avoiding traffic? Not getting shot?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
TheFonz
AG
Quiet and not getting shot would do.
Millner5220
AG
Tagging in here OP cause it looks like Kool has some suggestions. Wife and I are flying into Atlanta and driving over to Athens Saturday.

We would love recommendations for areas around downtown to stay. Looking to be at a place that we could park Friday AM at the hotel and walk for lunch dinner bars etc for Friday. Neither of us have ever been to Atlanta.

Thanks
AggieT12
AG
Also going for the Georgia game and making weekend trip out of it. Staying in downtown Atlanta at Holiday Inn Express ($90/nt) because we're hitting the typical touristy places that we can walk to. Coca Cola, Aquarium, College Football Hall of Fame, and Falcons/Bucs game on Sunday to see Mike Evans so all walking distance. Not a lot of options for nightlife or places to eat but short Uber or metro ride to midtown.
Kool
AG
Stay in Buckhead if you want to get a bit of the Atlanta flavor and probably not get shot. If gays and homeless people are your thing, stay in Midtown. Don't be afraid of MARTA during the day, it is a really good way to get downtown and see the Mercedes Benz stadium, our Aquarium, World of Coca Cola, CNN Center, and Centennial Park (it is my understanding that Eric Rudolph is still in The Big House).

If you want to stay out of town and just be more convenient to Athens for game day, stay in Gwinnett. Personally, I find Gwinnett uglier than homemade sin, but that's just me.

If you have a bit of extra time and the weather is good and you want to see some outdoor stuff, go over to Stone Mountain or up to Tallulah Falls.

If you have plenty of extra cash, stay at the Ritz Hotel on Lake Oconee. Oh, yes, it's a very nice.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
BSD
AG
Kool said:

If you have plenty of extra cash, stay at the Ritz Hotel on Lake Oconee. Oh, yes, it's a very nice.

I've stayed there many times. I love it there. Even better, it was never on my dime!!!
Kool
AG
Plenty of different dining choices. If you want to do something that is more relevant to Atlanta, look into any of the Buckhead Life Restaurants. Safe bets
Buckhead Life Restaurants
Other local options, for a flavor of Atlanta, are Two Urban Licks
Two Urban Licks (wipe that smile off your face)
and South City Kitchen
South City Kitchen
And, of course, if loose stools and heartburn are your thing, there is ALWAYS
The Varsity

I am really not a huge foodie, I am sure there are other threads on this.
gindaloon
AG
If you stay in Buckhead:

Steaks - Chops, Hal's, and Bone's. First two have a little more "life." Bone's is good but more old school vibe.

Sushi - Umi (book now) or Tomo.

Italian/Pasta - Storico Fresco for lunch or dinner. St. Cecilia for dinner.

Breakfast - Buttermilk Cafe and of course Waffle House
Big Bucks
AG
If you like vegetables, Miller Union is a great place to eat. Went there in September.
The Pilot
AG
When you go to Coca Cola, make sure you try Beverly in the tasting room.
schwabbin
AG
Oconee is legit.
Ag_N_Houston
AG
We're staying in Braselton. It's about halfway between Atlanta and Athens.
Kool
AG
Ag_N_Houston said:

We're staying in Braselton. It's about halfway between Atlanta and Athens.
Chateau Elan?
Ag_N_Houston
AG
No. We're staying at the Holiday Inn. It was 100 cheaper per night.
DTP02
AG
We are staying near centennial Olympic Park. Family trip with teenage boys. Any restaurant suggestions in that area for Fri night dinner or a Sun lunch?

Bonus question: for an afternoon game, what time is traffic out of Atlanta going to start backing up getting into Athens?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.