Beaver Creek the weekend before Thanksgiving

1,889 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Keeper of The Spirits
Keeper of The Spirits
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The wife and I had planned to go to the GA game, but decided that we had enough sports related trips this year with the Astros and the Aggies. Decided to do a little getaway to the Ritz Carlton Bachelor Gulch. We plan on hitting the spa and enjoying the scenery.

Any other suggestions?
NColoradoAG
You should probably go skiing.

EDIT: I see opening season is 11/27. Wouldn't be surprised if that changes.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Vail opens the weekend before. Skiing is on the list.
Kool
AG
There is a really nice Nordic Center there; particularly if there is snow but not great skiing conditions there, you might want to rent snowshoes and check it out. You get a beautiful view of the mountain ranges from the edges of that center.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Austintm
That's a great hotel.

Dining off the premises: Grouse Mountain Grill at the Pines Lodge. Very good food.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Thanks for the off prem dining recommendations. Corporate rate at the hotel was $150 a night so we figure worst case we'd do the spa and enjoy the nature and natural products.
Austintm
Keeper of The Spirits said:

Thanks for the off prem dining recommendations. Corporate rate at the hotel was $150 a night so we figure worst case we'd do the spa and enjoy the nature and natural products.
That rate is just stupid good for that hotel.

The Lost
Austintm said:

Keeper of The Spirits said:

That rate is just stupid good for that hotel.

Yup, pretty much only possible during transition season. It'll be a steal if the skiing opens up and is decent.
Bluecat_Aggie94
AG
I'm there that week every other year. BC has a ton of things going on that week. The two I make sure we hit are the chocolate chip cookie contest. They have booths set up around the ice rink and give out free cookies for you to vote on your favorite, and more importantly they share the recipes.

Second is the fireworks and Christmas tree lightning which is on Friday night after Thanksgiving. They have a figure skating show at the outdoor ice rink, Santa, fireworks, and the tree lightning.

I've been in years when there isn't a bit of snow, and I've been years when the entire mountain is open. Looks like its going to be a good snow year.

As far as off the mountain, we like to spend a day in Glenwood Springs, we drive to Leadville for lunch at the Saloon, and we usually go to Vail village. There are a lot more dining options in Vail but BC is nicer, and smaller.
Fairview
AG
This year is going to be interesting and I suspect a good year to go at that time. As others mentioned Vail is opening earlier than normal this year but usually when they open it sucks with like one man made run. This year is the first of their enhanced snowmaking they got approval from the forest service from last year. Also, it's snowed a bunch here in October. It depends what happens with weather the next couple weeks but it has potential to be a pretty good early season. I have friends that supervise ski school who went skiing last Friday in Keystone and said it felt like January conditions which is crazy.
aggiedata
AG
I liked Vin48 for a glass of wine and apps. Mountain mushrooms for killer.
jammer262
Not sure if Beano's Cabin will be open yet, I've never had a bad meal there.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Grouse Mountain Grill was great, they had a 3 for 39 special that was basically any appetizer, entree an dessert,

We had tuna crudity, pumpkin agnolotti, duck confit, trout with gnocchi which were all great. Then select bottles of wine were 50% off. Great transition season deal. We were the youngest people there by 30 years but that didn't bother us.

Also a great barrel aged sazerac
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.