How to get rid of time share

8,681 Views | 69 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by bufrilla
CAPORAL
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Do any of you have experience or recommendations for getting rid of a time share?
Texaggie7nine

I know a few people who are in the same boat. It's a tough one to be in. I think they have their's listed on a few of the resale listing sites, refusing to take such a loss as the resale companies will offer.
7nine
62strat
AG
CAPORAL said:

Do any of you have experience or recommendations for getting rid of a time share?
Stop paying the dues, and it will go away.
Whoop Delecto
AG
KALALL
AG
Fake your death.
CanyonAg77
AG
I can't get away from all the ads on radio promoting the "Time Share Exit Team", get you out or your money back. Anyone ever tried them?
schmendeler
AG
Are timeshares the herpes of real estate?
MAROON
AG
What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
Ag with kids
AG
If you do it right, they can be pretty valuable.

My GF has several she inherited from her mom. They're all in RCI.

For Christmas this year I booked 10 days for us, 7 days for my dad, and 7 days for a friend of mine in St Martin.

Cost me a total of $700 for all of them.

It's going to be great when we retire in a few years.
62strat
AG
Ag with kids said:

For Christmas this year I booked 10 days for us, 7 days for my dad, and 7 days for a friend of mine in St Martin.

$700 I assume in just exchange fees.. then you have the yearly Hoa.
Ag with kids
AG
62strat said:

Ag with kids said:

Yep....

So, now it's $2300 (We used 2 timeshares for this $800/yr for each) for two week long 1 bedroom condos and one 10 day 1 bedroom condo in St Martin...over Christmas (which is high season). Can you get a deal like that? (Hint: I know how much our condos in SXM rent for per night)

HOWEVER, we're also doing a trip for a week over spring break. Probably Cozumel. $200.

Then, we might do a week in Cabarete, DR again sometime this summer. $200. (TRAVEL NOTE: If you haven't been to Cabarete, you should hit it up. It was the one time in the DR that we felt comfortable out of the resort)

And right now, we're not even getting close to spending all our points. I just know that the value when we don't have to go to work anymore is worth the investment right now.

One of the timeshares can get us about 4 months in VCozumel for about $3200 (this is just an example).

Yes...we have the $800 maintenance fee...so, $4000 for 4 months in Cozumel. Retirement will be fun. (And the funny thing is, we already live on an island).

Y'all have fun paying $4000 for a week at a resort.

Al Bula
AG
Holy hell yes. A timeshare evangelist finally showed up to teach us all the truth about what a great investment it is!
schmendeler
AG
The key thing being glossed over is that they didn't buy them. They were inherited. Someone else ate the terrible investment.
wessimo
AG
Maybe Awk wants to take over OP's timeshare? Another successful Texags hookup in the making?
CAPORAL
AG
Sounds like a match, but I want to bequeath it now, not when I die.
62strat
AG
Ag with kids said:

62strat said:

Ag with kids said:

Yep....

So, now it's $2300 (We used 2 timeshares for this $800/yr for each) for two week long 1 bedroom condos and one 10 day 1 bedroom condo in St Martin...over Christmas (which is high season). Can you get a deal like that? (Hint: I know how much our condos in SXM rent for per night)

HOWEVER, we're also doing a trip for a week over spring break. Probably Cozumel. $200.

Then, we might do a week in Cabarete, DR again sometime this summer. $200. (TRAVEL NOTE: If you haven't been to Cabarete, you should hit it up. It was the one time in the DR that we felt comfortable out of the resort)

And right now, we're not even getting close to spending all our points. I just know that the value when we don't have to go to work anymore is worth the investment right now.

One of the timeshares can get us about 4 months in VCozumel for about $3200 (this is just an example).

Yes...we have the $800 maintenance fee...so, $4000 for 4 months in Cozumel. Retirement will be fun. (And the funny thing is, we already live on an island).

Y'all have fun paying $4000 for a week at a resort.

Hey hey.. you don't to have to continue to explain how good of a deal it is.. but to come in and say it only cost you $700 was a flat out lie.. and way off!. It cost you $2300.

And we might as well add on your RCI membership too, another $100-$200/yr.

And we haven't even talked about how much was paid for it to begin with.

Ag with kids
AG
Shife said:

Holy hell yes. A timeshare evangelist finally showed up to teach us all the truth about what a great investment it is!
I didn't ****ing pay for it.

I don't really have much in the way of investment. I just get to use the benefits.

I damn sure wouldn't have bought it in the first place at the stupid prices they convince people to pay.
Ag with kids
AG
schmendeler said:

The key thing being glossed over is that they didn't buy them. They were inherited. Someone else ate the terrible investment.

This is the point.

As long as I'M not the one that bought it, it's a good deal. If I'd paid the **** ton of money that I'm sure they paid for it, then there's no way I'd ever recoup the investment.
wessimo
AG
So are you offering to give it to Awk?
wessimo
AG
My parents own a timeshare and have talked of passing it on when they're gone. I'm really hoping it goes to one of my siblings.
Remember The Astrodome
AG
Got to love when people defend their timeshare purchase!

The Gang Buys a Timeshare
Al Bula
AG
Ag with kids said:

schmendeler said:

This is the point.

As long as I'M not the one that bought it, it's a good deal. If I'd paid the **** ton of money that I'm sure they paid for it, then there's no way I'd ever recoup the investment.
You are defending the undisputed worst type of investment so hard that is is like you are trying to convince yourself what a sweet deal you lucked into.

I know I am not the only one that finds it super weird you are gloating about mooching off your girlfriend's inherited timeshare(s) that you can gift to your lucky family members and friends.

Your girlfriend was probably overjoyed some schmuck agreed to pay the yearly maintenance, membership and other associated hidden fees not disclosed on this thread.
Ag with kids
AG
Shife said:

Ag with kids said:

schmendeler said:

This is the point.

You are defending the undisputed worst type of investment so hard that is is like you are trying to convince yourself what a sweet deal you lucked into.

I know I am not the only one that finds it super weird you are gloating about mooching off your girlfriend's inherited timeshare(s) that you can gift to your lucky family members and friends.

Your girlfriend was probably overjoyed some schmuck agreed to pay the yearly maintenance, membership and other associated hidden fees not disclosed on this thread.
Yeah...that's it.

I mean, the fact that right now I can take 3-4 vacations a year to the Caribbean/Europe for a **** ton less than you can doesn't factor into it at all. Sorry that some timeshare salesman touched you when you were young...

BTW, she pays all those fees from the chunk of $$$ her mom left her, so even that cost doesn't really affect us much.

Again...BUYING a timeshare is a VERY ****TY investment.

USING that timeshare without having to pay that huge upfront cost is pretty good.

If I split the $1800 in fees over 3 vacations, the cost is $800 per vacation. So, my Christmas trip will cost $800 for three 1BR condos for at least a week. Can you book three 1 BR condos in St Martin over Christmas for that price?

Right now we're actually giving trips away to friends and family because we can't spend all the points (which actually makes the cost per vacation go down). That will stop when we retire and we can travel more.

In short. DON'T BUY A TIMESHARE. HOWEVER, USING A TIMESHARE IS GREAT.
ATM9000
AG
Ag with kids said:

Shife said:

Ag with kids said:

schmendeler said:

This is the point.

Yeah...that's it.

I mean, the fact that right now I can take 3-4 vacations a year to the Caribbean/Europe for a **** ton less than you can doesn't factor into it at all. Sorry that some timeshare salesman touched you when you were young...

BTW, she pays all those fees from the chunk of $$$ her mom left her, so even that cost doesn't really affect us much.

USING that timeshare without having to pay that huge upfront cost is pretty good.

If I split the $1800 in fees over 3 vacations, the cost is $800 per vacation. So, my Christmas trip will cost $800 for three 1BR condos for at least a week. Can you book three 1 BR condos in St Martin over Christmas for that price?

Right now we're actually giving trips away to friends and family because we can't spend all the points (which actually makes the cost per vacation go down). That will stop when we retire and we can travel more.

So basically your argument is so long as you inherit a time share and avoid the upfront fee that generally makes timeshares a prohibitively bad deal, then they are great? How in the world is this even relevant when taking about a time share investment?
Ag with kids
AG
ATM9000 said:

Ag with kids said:

Shife said:

Ag with kids said:

schmendeler said:

This is the point.

Yeah...that's it.

So basically your argument is so long as you inherit a time share and avoid the upfront fee that generally makes timeshares a prohibitively bad deal, then they are great? How in the world is this even relevant when taking about a time share investment?

This thread isn't about time shares being an investment. Just because you want it to be doesn't make it so.

I was pointing out how MY situation with time shares wasn't as evil as everyone talks about.

And inheriting them happens all the time (one poster even talked about that pending in his future). So, it is definitely in the conversation about the usefulness of time shares. In fact, it sounds like the OP may have inherited one (just guessing).

Hell, you can even buy them for next to nothing ($100) since everyone wants out of them. But, if they're in RCI, they can actually not suck. If you can get it for $100, then take 3 weeks of resort vacation in Europe/Asia/Caribbean/etc every year for 3x$200+$900=$1500, that's not a bad deal.

For ****s and giggles, I looked up some "used" timeshares for sale. On here you can get one worth 89,000 RCI points for $99. That would EASILY get you 3 weeks of vacations.

When we retire in a few years, I estimate we can take at least 3-4 months of vacation a year for $2400+$1800=$4200. Hell, that's not much more than my house payment.

BUT, DON'T BUY A NEW ****ING TIMESHARE. THAT'S INSANELY STUPID. ALSO DON'T BUY ONE IF YOU CAN'T DO ENOUGH TRAVELING TO MAKE THE MONEY WORK OUT.
Ag with kids
AG
CAPORAL said:

BTW, since I looked it up, you can check out this link to see if they'll buy it from you.

Good luck.

Or, evaluate whether you could actually make it useful, if you didn't pay for it.
Bluecat_Aggie94
AG
I'm glad that dude is happy with his investment. Its a value proposition, and customer satisfaction has a value.

Personally, I value the freedom I have to go wherever I want to go, whenever I want to go there, and pay for what I get when I get it. Which is often someone's time share that would otherwise go unused. lol

ATM9000
AG
Bluecat_Aggie94 said:

I'm glad that dude is happy with his investment. Its a value proposition, and customer satisfaction has a value.

Personally, I value the freedom I have to go wherever I want to go, whenever I want to go there, and pay for what I get when I get it. Which is often someone's time share that would otherwise go unused. lol

Wait didn't we go back and forth about this years ago when you were trying to sell one?
wcb
AG
Had the opportunity to get out of mine recently. Against my better judgment, we kept it. Last summer we did a full week in the heart of Whistler for like $200 (yes plus annual fees and RCI, maybe $600 combined). Three bedroom, full kitchen, etc right in the heart of it all. Did the same at Disney when the kids were younger.

While buying one was definitely not the best investment my wife and I made back in our younger / dumber days, we actually still use it enough to hang onto it.
wessimo
AG
So did you offload your timeshare in the end? After the epic thread a while back we need to hear "the rest of the story!"
62strat
AG
Our timeshare is pretty unique. We purchased at a ski in, ski out resort in Breckenridge, which is a 90 minute drive.
We can go there any day, any time and use all the resort has to offer. For instance, drive up Saturday morning, park in garage, use locker rooms to change and get skis on, ski, (loft is 100' from licker rooms), then hot tub, then drive home. That would be $0 for us, and we have no limit to how many times or when we do it.
We can also get a room for as low as $50 if they have availability. About 1/4 of published rates.

So it has lots of benefits that many timeshares don't have. My kids are a year away from ski school, so this will come in really handy and be of great value.
CanyonAg77
AG
Congrats on living next to a resort, and having a hobby, that lets you take advantage of a time share. So what happens in 15 years or so, when the kids are grown or in college, and you're getting older? Maybe you want to go to see grandkids, or visit your kids in college, rather than ski.

Can you easily dump it then, or are you stuck?

Frankly, I've never seen the advantage of a timeshare, or resort or lake cabin. If you have Bill Gates money, do whatever. But for most of us the cost/benefit ration is simply not there.

In addition, there are still a ton of places I want to go see, as opposed to the same place for every vacation.
10andBOUNCE
AG
I was looking at a resale property there....do you know if the daily use and discounted nights would roll to me or if that ends with the original owner? Heard both answers.
Ag with kids
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

Congrats on living next to a resort, and having a hobby, that lets you take advantage of a time share. So what happens in 15 years or so, when the kids are grown or in college, and you're getting older? Maybe you want to go to see grandkids, or visit your kids in college, rather than ski.

Can you easily dump it then, or are you stuck?

Frankly, I've never seen the advantage of a timeshare, or resort or lake cabin. If you have Bill Gates money, do whatever. But for most of us the cost/benefit ration is simply not there.

In addition, there are still a ton of places I want to go see, as opposed to the same place for every vacation.
As I've pointed out, if your timeshare is in RCI, you don't have to go to the same place.

Hell, we've used the **** out of my GF's timeshares over the past 7 years and we've NEVER been to the actual timeshare location. Probably never will. We've got 2 units in Branson. I have zero urge to ever go there. Another one is in Florida somewhere. Not on the beach, though, so no urge to go there either.

We DID go to Cabarete, DR and Malaga, Spain last year though. And Sint Maarten this Christmas for 3 sets of people.

Don't know if his is in RCI or not, though.
Ag with kids
AG
10andBOUNCE said:

I was looking at a resale property there....do you know if the daily use and discounted nights would roll to me or if that ends with the original owner? Heard both answers.
If you're referring to the website I posted with the resale and purchasing of timeshares, you get all of that. I actually talked to them about it once.

But, because we have so many points right now we can't spend them all it wouldn't make sense to buy one until we retire.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.