Traveling to Canada - 17 years post arrest

3,848 Views | 41 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Federale01
htxag09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I feel like it can vary greatly....

I went for work and one of my coworkers lied about his criminal history. They ran it, he had a DWI, and was sent back and denied from ever trying to enter Canada again. I bet it was pretty fun for him to explain to his boss that our main field service tech could never make a trip to work on one of our biggest customer's equipment....

I had a good friend drive up from Seattle for the Women's World Cup. He was with two other people and both got denied, one for a DWI and one for a PI. This is what he told me, I wasn't there or don't know them.

I have an in law that got arrested for a DWI a few years ago. He recently went on a cruise to Alaska our of Seattle, with a stop in Canada, and got in no problem. I don't know if his charge got downgraded, dismissed, etc., though.
flown-the-coop
AG
Been back and forth a number of times, but on first trip we were traveling to work on a client (was at Deloitte at the time). Client and firm wanted to avoid the costly work permits due to NAFTA so we were told to be on "vacation". I gave my line and got admitted. But my female coworker tensed up, fessed up and we both got to spend a few hours with border control, getting an emergency work permit, paying a fine and explaining to client and boss at Deloitte why we got caught.

I framed the work permit for my coworker. Only other place I ever got questioned was in Mexico, again due to work permit / NAFTA items.

Its definitely hit or miss, but having been to a number of countries of 1st, 2nd and 3rd world varieties, Canada still makes me tense.
HECUBUS
AG
Just went to Toronto in August, no issues getting in. Beware of long lines at the airport getting out. You need at least three hours instead of two. You can make it with two, but you will be cutting it close.
RGV AG
AG
Most of their border guards are dicks. Been harrassed every I have ever entered there. They try to verbally trick you into slipping up or having an inconsistency so as to "catch" you.

Amazing that they will let in and or issue visas to a bunch or folks from other countries that they have no way of verifying info from. The last go round I had with a Canadia border agent was because I had two passports. He grilled me about this and didn't want to believe the truth.
OnlyForNow
AG
We're flying into and out of God's country (America). Just s driving tour through CA. Niagra to NS then back across the border in Maine.
HECUBUS
AG
That's quite a trip. We've done most of that in five different trips. Sounds like fun.
BenFiasco14
AG
I had read threads with horror stories like this prior to my most recent trip into Canada and was terrified. Flew into Toronto from Austin, nervously walked up to the border agent, said hello, he said hello, looked at my passport, stamped it, and said have a nice a day. That was it.
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
Federale01
AG
flown-the-coop said:

Been back and forth a number of times, but on first trip we were traveling to work on a client (was at Deloitte at the time). Client and firm wanted to avoid the costly work permits due to NAFTA so we were told to be on "vacation". I gave my line and got admitted. But my female coworker tensed up, fessed up and we both got to spend a few hours with border control, getting an emergency work permit, paying a fine and explaining to client and boss at Deloitte why we got caught.

I framed the work permit for my coworker. Only other place I ever got questioned was in Mexico, again due to work permit / NAFTA items.

Its definitely hit or miss, but having been to a number of countries of 1st, 2nd and 3rd world varieties, Canada still makes me tense.
Thanks for explaining why they are dicks, lol. They probably see this a lot.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.