Traveling to Canada - 17 years post arrest

3,856 Views | 41 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Federale01
OnlyForNow
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So planning on going to Canada but found out that my arrest (when I was 17) technically makes me inadmissible. There is differing information on whether or not i am considered rehabilitated through time.

Anyone have any experiences with this?
Federale01
AG
I would call the Canadian Consulate in Dallas and ask. It beats being turned around at the border.
Jock 07
AG
story time, gonna need details on arrest to better analyze the situation
HollywoodBQ
AG
I've seen a lot of dudes get rejected on the Canadian Border Security show.
Good idea you're sorting it out before you go.
OnlyForNow
AG
I was 17 and was arrested for doing a REALLY dumb and dangerous thing.
Mustang1
AG
Did you complete deferred adjudication or is the charge eligible for non-disclosure?
BQ78
AG
If you wore black (brown) face just tell them you are sorry and all will be well.
Apache
AG
Quote:

a REALLY dumb and dangerous thing.

So armed robbery, huh?
RAB83
AG
Is it for work? They are real jerks about that, unless you are attending a trade show or otherwise spending money.

As far as your arrest, was this something as a minor, or were you considered an adult?
OnlyForNow
AG
No, I was convicted and sentenced to a fine and 1 year probation, which I completed before the end of my Freshman year at A&M.
OnlyForNow
AG
DWI
OnlyForNow
AG
No. Vacation
Apache
AG
Man I was sooooooooooooo lucky to avoid that pitfall. Coulda been busted, killed or killed someone else many times in my youth. Zero judgement here.
jammer262
I'm glad you are sorting it out before. The last time I few to Calgary I saw 2 people turned back. The entry agents are some of the toughest I've been around. Be ready to talk about your whole itinerary. I would have something in writing from them as well.

My ex girlfriend has a great relationship with her ex husband. We took her kids up to Banff for a long ski weekend. She didn't have a note from him releasing the kids (even though she had full custody) and we were nearly turned back. After 10 minutes of talking she took my girlfriends phone and called him with out preamble, thank God he answered, and grilled him for several minutes before finally hanging up on him and stamping our passports. During the whole exchange there were no please or thank you s, just direct pointed orders. I've been to Canada 10+ times and they have never as much cracked a smile.
AustinCountyAg
jammer262 said:

I'm glad you are sorting it out before. The last time I few to Calgary I saw 2 people turned back. The entry agents are some of the toughest I've been around. Be ready to talk about your whole itinerary. I would have something in writing from them as well.

My ex girlfriend has a great relationship with her ex husband. We took her kids up to Banff for a long ski weekend. She didn't have a note from him releasing the kids (even though she had full custody) and we were nearly turned back. After 10 minutes of talking she took my girlfriends phone and called him with out preamble, thank God he answered, and grilled him for several minutes before finally hanging up on him and stamping our passports. During the whole exchange there were no please or thank you s, just direct pointed orders. I've been to Canada 10+ times and they have never as much cracked a smile.
I can vouch for that. Wife and I flew to Calgary in June. They grilled us for about 5 minutes. They were dicks. We were probably the least suspicious looking people on our flight as well. She in a Patagonia sweater and me dragging golf clubs with me.
AustinCountyAg
Everyone else in Canada are super friendly though
DannyDuberstein
AG
It's become a running joke at work about how much I get hassled by the CBSA when I go to our Canadian subsidiary for meetings. My usual traveling companions (both female) always breeze through while I always get the 3rd degree with work questions to make sure I"m not there to take their jerbs!

So long story short, they are sticklers and good idea to clear ahead of time. If you do get hassled, tell em you were drinking Molson and maybe they'll let you through anyway.
strohag
AG
I ran projects in Canada for a few years. If anyone on my crew had a Dwi It was next to impossible to get them into Canada. I don't remember exactly but we may have gotten one guy in but it cost a ton for a lawyer to do it all. My advice would be to vacation elsewhere or get pre-approval to come before you book anything.
Texaggie7nine
OnlyForNow said:

DWI
That's the one that matters most. I know a few people who have tried and failed all because of a DWI.
Had a relative go on a cruise from like LA to Alaska, and it stopped in a canadian city, maybe Vancouver, for a day and he found out the hard way he was stuck on the boat all day. Couldn't even go in to site see for a few hours.

Arrest for drug possession, or other stuff, no issues. DWI pretty much makes it impossible.
7nine
Petrino1
I had a DWI in 2008 which was later reduced to an obstruction of highway charge, and was eventually deferred/dismissed. I never plead guilty to the DWI.

A few years ago I tried to drive to Canada and it was the worst experience of my life dealing with the border patrol agent there. They "detained" me there for hours, grilled me over and over again, accused me of lying, went through my cell phone (texts, emails, pictures), searched me and my vehicle several times etc. They treated me like I was an Al Qaeda terrorist trying to get into the US with a bomb or something.

Towards the end of it I just wanted to tell them forget it and return to the US. After 4-5 hours they finally realized I was telling the truth and ended up granting me a special one day pass to visit Canada. I swear I will never visit that stupid country ever again lol!

Apparently they do a lifelong background check, and if you have any alcohol related charge on your record, they can deny you entry. There is a 50-50 chance they will let you in.
Petrino1
As a followup, I have a friend who actually plead guilty and was convicted of a DWI, and she has gone to Canada several times with no issues. She has flown into Montreal and Vancouver with no issues at all. I tried to drive in the North Dakota/Canada border which is apparently pretty strict. I have heard of people driving from Michigan to Canada and it supposed to be pretty relaxed. So enter at your own risk!
TXTransplant
AustinCountyAg said:

jammer262 said:

I can vouch for that. Wife and I flew to Calgary in June. They grilled us for about 5 minutes. They were dicks. We were probably the least suspicious looking people on our flight as well. She in a Patagonia sweater and me dragging golf clubs with me.

My son and I also vacationed in Alberta in June. The security guy at the Calgary airport was nice, but he didn't hesitate to ask for the letter from my son's dad giving my son permission to travel with me. It's the first time we've ever been asked for it (we've traveled to Europe several times). I knew ahead of time to bring one, so it wasn't an issue.
OnlyForNow
AG
The people I've talked to said since it has been well over 10 years, just bring your documentation that it's all cleared and you should be fine.
HollywoodBQ
AG
ea1060 said:

After 4-5 hours they finally realized I was telling the truth and ended up granting me a special one day pass to visit Canada. I swear I will never visit that stupid country ever again lol!
Wow. That is almost exactly what happened to an Australian guy I saw on a recent episode of the Canadian Border Security show. They deemed the guy was inadmissible because he had an alcohol related violence charge from when he was 18. But, because he had all these elaborate plans to visit his girlfriend and she was waiting for him, they gave the guy a one day pass to visit her in Canada before they sent him back to Australia.
ToddyHill
AG
A little over a year ago, my wife and I flew from Nashville to Detroit, picked up our rental car and headed out to Toronto. When we got to the border, we handed the agent our passports, and kept our mouths shut. Then he asked us why we were coming into Canada, and how long we'd be there. So I told him the truth...we were driving to Toronto to attend the Electric Light Orchestra concert, and then would turn around and head back to Detroit. I thought he'd at least crack a smile, but he never did. We got through, and had a great time. On our return to Detroit, we crossed the border around 4 a.m. The U.S. agent asked us why we were coming through so late...and so again, I told him the truth. He thought it was pretty cool that a couple of old farts had driven to Toronto to see an ELO concert.

About ten years ago, on a business trip, four of us flew to Bangor, then headed to New Brunswick. One of my co-workers was Israeli, and a former member of Mossad. We spent over an hour getting grilled and having our car searched from head to toe. On the return to the United States, we spent all of a minute getting through.
Whoop Delecto
AG
JHUAggie
You make it sound like Canada is hell to get in and out.

Went to Canada at Port huron, MI. Gave them our passports and was asked where we were headed and for how long. We were then on our way.

Crossed back and forth between the US and Canada at Niagara Falls. Got grilled by the US border agent coming back into the US for the first time. Where we were coming from? Where we were going? How many times did we cross during the trip? Where were we from? Do we own the vehicle?

Driving back into Canada we had no issues.

Walked into the US on the rainbow bridge and back into Canada along the same bridge and both agents were friendly. Usually they dont stamp your passport, but my 10 year old asked and the Canadian agent let each of our kids stamp their own.
Last time driving back into the US border agent asked us where we stayed in Canada and for how long. Gave is our passports and told us to have a safe trip back home.
The Pilot
AG
Had no idea Canada was known for hardass border agents. Wife (gf at the time) and I drove to Montreal and had no problems. Don't remember the agent being abnormal.
fire09
AG
Get it sealed. Not that difficult with the amount of time passed.
OnlyForNow
AG
Can't seal an adult conviction.
JMac03
AG
I haven't read all the post but here is some information from our government about their rules and how to possibly obtain waivers.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/402/~/entering-the-u.s.-and-canada-with-dui-offenses
fire09
AG
Nm.
malenurse
AG
If you carry hockey bags, they never hassle you.
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But, it's still on the list.
Aggie71013
AG
Also experienced hardass Canadian border agents. Went to Victoria from Seattle with my now wife, then girlfriend. When we got to the border agents we went up separately because the sign said go up by yourself or with your family. When the officer found out I wasn't traveling alone, he got really defensive and asked a ton of questions including why I didn't walk up with my girlfriend. Only time I've ever felt uncomfortable with a border agent.
Al Bula
AG
The real shocker is that Canada border agents can deny you for a DWI conviction but American police info systems don't always talk to each other when a person gets 3+ DWIs.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.