Cusco?

1,428 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by nomadic_ag
Red Stick Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My wife is from Colombia and we are trying to decide where we want to go for our Christmas / New Year vacation. She said that a friend of hers told her that Cusco was a cool place to visit.

Neither one of us have ever been there.

Anybody got any thoughts, suggestions?

Thanks!
“It is not the critic who counts. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, because there is no effort without error; who knows great enthusiasms, great devotions; who at best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and at the worst, if he fails, his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”
ForeverAg
AG
Cusco as in Peru?
Red Stick Ag
AG
Yep
“It is not the critic who counts. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, because there is no effort without error; who knows great enthusiasms, great devotions; who at best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and at the worst, if he fails, his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”
FancyKetchup14
AG
I really like Cusco, but it's not for everyone. Your wife is from Colombia, there will be people trying to sell you sh*t every 50' kinda like Cartagena.

Avoid the square other than photo opportunities. The church is gorgeous. Barrio San Blas has some of the best food you'll find in Peru.

There's an Inca site just outside (within walking distance) called Saqsawayman that's worth checking out.

If you can swing Machu Picchu I highly recommend it. One of my favorite places on earth (it'll be rainy season while you're there though).

If that's not your thing you should go to Ollantaytambo for a day trip and check out some Inca ruins there.
Petrino1
Rio is the best place to spend New Years on earth.
nomadic_ag
AG
I second the post on Rio for NYE.

Cusco is beautiful, but as said above, it is inundated with tourism. There's a McDonald's there, which really caught me by surprise. I just got back from Ecuador and loved it. Quito and Guayaquil were great and I heard great things about Banos.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.