England/London

1,578 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Fall92
canadianAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So I posted a few weeks back about coming to London.

I've now been here for 3 weeks and will leave next weekend. The first week was all vacation and sightseeing and then work since but still with weekends open for doing stuff.

This coming weekend is my last weekend to do something and I'm getting a little burnt out on the city/castles,palaces,museums etc.... Any suggestions for something outside more in the country side or more to do with nature?
Aggie@state.gov
AG
Premier League
ATM9000
AG
Love the city of London... but if you had that amount of weekends why didn't you take a quick trip to Dublin, Amsterdam or Paris?
wildcat08
AG
Take the train to Oxford, rent a car, drive around the Cotswolds.
Wolfman03
AG
We were in England a few weeks ago and went to Bristol for four days. We really enjoyed our time in this small city! It isn't nature, but it is very laid back with some great restaurants and bars. The wharf area and Clifton were great spots to explore. It is the perfect weekend away from London spot and Bath is nearby for a day trip.

If you want nature, then the Cotswolds would be nice and close to London.

If you want even more unique nature, beautiful scenery, hikes, and cool little towns - then hop a train to the Lake District (4-5 hours). Windermere would be your best train station and then Uber/taxi around - or train to Kendal/Oxenholme and rent a car. Ambleside, Windermere, and Bowness-on-Windermere are all good options to stay.

If you end up in Bristol, then check out Hat Bistro (family run Greek restaurant), Giuseppe's Italian, and The Ivy Clifton Brasserie.
Ag with kids
AG
Go to Wootton. Drink at the Chequers Pub.

That's what I would do, but then I grew up in that town.
HHAG
AG
Go hiking in Snowdonia Nationa[lPark.
Mr. McGibblets
AG
Catch a match at Wimbley! Make sure you read the rules bc if you show up in the wrong section and in the wrong colors you will get your ass kicked.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Research everywhere you are going to eat. The food in England in general sucks. There are some good meals to be had but don't expect to just walk in somewhere and have a meal you will want to finish. The pubs usually have good Fish and Chips. The Indian Food in London, Dishoom was one of my favorite meal ever. If you are interested in first edition books there are some great bookstores on Cecil Court near Leicester square that also happens to be Diagon Alley from the Harry Potter books.
Fall92
AG
Last month a friend and I went to two vineyards in Kent, about an hour's train ride southeast of London. Hit Biddenden and Chapel Down. The white wines and ciders were good. So were the charcuterie plates from local farms. The reds sucked. There are several other vineyards in the area as well. Anyhow, it was fun to hit the English countryside and drink some decent whites. Also hit several local pubs. There's also a Michelin-starred restaurant/hotel in a 16th century cottage in the area: http://www.thewesthouserestaurant.co.uk/

Edit- shoot forgot about the sparklings. We're pretty good as well
"I did nothing. I did absolutely nothing, and it was everything that I thought it could be."
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.