NY hotel recommendations?

1,701 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Sliced Clown Bread
BmtAg96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looking to surprise our girls ages 14 and 11 with a trip to NY this Christmas. Any hotel recommendations? We've been once before and liked the midtown area. Don't want to be in Times Square. Last time we stayed at the Lotte NY Palace.
DallasAggie89
AG
My wife and I are going in December and are staying at the Renaissance on 35th Street. We stayed there last year and it is fairly new and very nice and clean.

You are within quick walking distance of Times Square but far enough away to keep your sanity.
RafterAg223
AG
Renaissance Midtown is a nice clean property as the previous poster wrote. If you are wanting something comparable as far as overall experience and service to Lotte Palace.... The Peninsula, Park Hyatt, and Four Seasons would be your best bet. They will also run some serious $$$ that time of year.
BmtAg96
AG
Is the renaissance the one located south of Times Square?
RafterAg223
AG
No, it's near 34th and 7th ave several blocks South of Times Square and close to Penn Station. There is an older Renaissance right in the middle of Times Square.
HeightsAg
The St Regis, Chatwal, and Four Season are all really nice.
Always_Right
AG
If you can swing it and your kids are big Home Alone fans then try out The Plaza hotel. We stay at the JW Marriott Essex House across from Central Park every year for Christmas, very close to all the attractions.
breezecustomtravel
AG
Our favorites are Hilton Midtown, JW Marriott Essex House, and Renaissance Midtown....All are pretty centrally located without being right in Times Square and with easy access to subway.

There are some great deals going on right now for the Holidays!
Lauren K '07
www.breezecustomtravel.com
@breezecustomtravel
aTm2004
AG
How much do you want to drop? When we go to NYC, we typically stay at the Belvedere. It's a block or so from Times Square, Hells Kitchen, and a subway stop. It's not a Marriott or anything, but it's not a crap hotel either.
malenurse
AG
Wife and I did NYC for Christmas last year. Stayed at the Park Central.

Searching for my post. Lots of good info.

https://texags.com/forums/54/topics/2976983/replies/53001726
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But, it's still on the list.
BmtAg96
AG
Don't want to spend an obscene amount of money but want something walkable to Rockefeller center and theater district. We liked the Palace but would like to try something different. Also a place that decorates nice for Christmas would be cool.

Where is the best place to shop deals. I've been looking at Expedia at flight hotel bundles.
HollywoodBQ
AG
We were there over Thanksgiving 2018 and stayed at Moxy NYC. You can book 4 people to a room with the choice of double beds, or 4 x single bunk beds.

There's a nice bar on the 2nd Floor and if you want to feel old, you can go up to the rooftop bar called "Magic Hour" where Cuba Gooding Jr. got busted for allegedly groping some chick.

The location was great. The room was good enough for a base of operations. I would definitely stay there again.

The only drawback was that we had to park our car a couple blocks away - which we didn't need in the city anyway (we had driven to NYC from Virginia). Luckily, after 5 days, it was still there.
aTm2004
AG
Have you thought about an AirBnB? There are quite a few in Manhattan that would probably cost a bit less than a hotel for the entire place.
aTm2004
AG
Quote:

The only drawback was that we had to park our car a couple blocks away - which we didn't need in the city anyway (we had driven to NYC from Virginia). Luckily, after 5 days, it was still there.
Could you not have rented a one-way to DC and then take the train?
HollywoodBQ
AG
aTm2004 said:

Quote:

Could you not have rented a one-way to DC and then take the train?
Mine was a unique situation for sure. We started and finished in Virginia because we were visiting my cadet at Virginia Military Institute where they get a 10 day "furlough" at Thanksgiving. The "car" we drove was actually my 1999 Ford Expedition. Also, we stopped by Pittsburgh on the way to NYC to visit my wife's family. Enroute from Pittsburgh to NYC, we stopped off at the United Flight 93 Memorial which was very interesting. I wasn't thrilled about paying almost $400 to park my truck for 5 days that we weren't going to use it but, with 4 people plus luggage, it was really the best way to go.
malenurse
AG
BmtAg96 said:

Don't want to spend an obscene amount of money but want something walkable to Rockefeller center and theater district. We liked the Palace but would like to try something different. Also a place that decorates nice for Christmas would be cool.

Where is the best place to shop deals. I've been looking at Expedia at flight hotel bundles.
You're in luck because the entire city dresses up for Christmas. I would definitely look at SW into L:a Guardia for the best price flights. Unfortunately, there just aren't a lot of reasonable priced hotels. It IS Manhattan after all
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But, it's still on the list.
dead zip 01
AG
During Christmas we have found it's good to stay just north of grand central along Park Ave or Lexington. It's close to the tree but not nearly as crazy as being anywhere west of Madison.

We stayed at the Barclay Intercontinental last year and it was great. The Lexington and Roger Smith hotels are other great options in the area.
BmtAg96
AG
Any thoughts on Omni Berckshire Place?
RafterAg223
AG
BmtAg96 said:

Any thoughts on Omni Berckshire Place?
Omni Berkshire place is also a great option.
shihitemuslim
AG
Try Arlo Soho. They will think that place is cool. Its in Tribeca
Sliced Clown Bread
AG
Stay in the vicinity of 23rd between 6th and 7th. Great subway access to everwhere. You can walk up to times square, Bryant park, and Rockefeller center. Plenty of hotels for a reasonable price.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.