Always mention the teacher discount!

1,752 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by newhowdyag2004
newhowdyag2004
How long do you want to ignore this user?
My wife and I want to stay at the Marriott Marquis in Houston for the Tool concert in October. With the baby we haven't traveled much, so I said lets go crazy and stay there Sat/Sun night (will use Venture miles to pay).

The price would normally be $980, but I mentioned my wife is a teacher and now it's $311 total! I'm floored at the $600 dollar savings (that's why I came here gushing)!

What would be your favorite place to eat on a Sunday near the Toyota Center?
JMac03
AG
Are teachers considered state employees? If so Marriott will usually honor it in any state and you can find this rate when booking. Note it's not always available and it's not always the cheapest. I used to use it often before I was a travel agent. Hilton has it too but will only work in Texas, they won't honor a TX state employee in California. Just make sure when booking it's the state rate and not the federal one.
CanyonAg77
AG
Congrats, but I find the whole discount thing disgusting. Just give me the lowest possible rate without having to be a member of some group.
62strat
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

Congrats, but I find the whole discount thing disgusting. Just give me the lowest possible rate without having to be a member of some group.
Oh so we should all just get the military discount huh?

'Teacher' rate is probably gov rate, which marriott has on all their properties (also have military). I just booked a hotel in vegas and saved 25% because my bro in law is coming who is military. Why not?

To OP, 70% off seems like something else is going on.. are you sure you're comparing apples to apples?

CanyonAg77
AG
62strat said:

CanyonAg77 said:

Don't invent things I didn't say.
62strat
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

62strat said:

CanyonAg77 said:

Don't invent things I didn't say.
You 'find the whole discount thing disgusting'... sounds like you want the same rate as certain members of society, without being the member... teachers, military, seniors, etc.

Not sure how else to read it.
newhowdyag2004
I did first say it's our Wedding anniversary and that the quoted original price would be a challenge. I then mentioned/asked if they have a teacher discount to where the lady said she would take a look. While she did that she asked if my wife likes being a teacher and she was thinking of being one. So maybe she gave us a little bigger discount (employee)?

We have the confirmation email for the reservation, so whether it was purely the teacher discount or she added more, hooray for us!

I did learn a valuable lesson, always call to book. You may get lucky.
CanyonAg77
AG
How about, instead of getting offended because you're one of the lucky groups, how about getting offended there is a Byzantine system of hotel rates, negotiated by various groups, to advantage their members over other groups. (AAA, AARP, USAA, etc.)?

Teachers are great. Are they greater than farmers? Trash collectors? Plumbers?

You're trying to twist my disapproval of a business practice into disapproval of the military.
newhowdyag2004
I'll say this. I have a small, small business, and I do various discounts for certain groups. That's the wonderful thing of owning a business, you can choose how you operate including discounts. What's wrong with that??
Mustang1
AG
Xochi & Biggios are good options in the hotel. Pappadeaux & Pappasitos are between the hotel & Toyota Center.
newhowdyag2004
Thanks. With the money we are saving, we can just charge the room and use our miles to pay.

This weekend with the concert hotel stay will be awesome!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.