Portugal

1,614 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by fire09
Squirrel Master
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Tentatively planning a 7-9 day trip to Portugal or Portugal/Spain that would be around New Years. Just starting the research, so not sure what we'd try to do yet. Anyone with some good Portugal advice? The 'and Spain' option is there if a full week isn't necessary for Portugal.
Ag with kids
AG
Squirrel Master said:

Tentatively planning a 7-9 day trip to Portugal or Portugal/Spain that would be around New Years. Just starting the research, so not sure what we'd try to do yet. Anyone with some good Portugal advice? The 'and Spain' option is there if a full week isn't necessary for Portugal.
The Azores are part of Portugal. Gotta take a flight there, though...

I enjoyed going there.
Travelag08
Porto was my favorite part of my Portugal trip! Spend time on the river and drinking port wine. A day trip to Braga is lovely.

Lisbon was cool too, but I spent 2 days too many there. Sintra and Belem are must sees there.
HHAG
AG
Spent a wonderful week split between Lisboa and Faro. Great food, wine and beaches. Highly recommended.
Apache
AG
Look into spending at day at Tomar. This was the home of the Knights Templar (They changed names)
Their church is a UNESCO world heritage site. There is also an aquaduct that provided water to the Church that is very cool.
90 bull
AG
We loved Sintra and Porto. Easy train between Lisbon and both. Mixed on Lisbon. Didn't go to the south, but heard nothing but good things about it.
For a week, adding Spain is too much. We spent 2 weeks in Spain, and it wasn't enough.
Punked Shank
AG
Want to go back to Portugal.

I enjoyed Ericeira and Peniche alot. Lisbon is cool for a day or two. There is too much else to see as everyone else has noted above. Good trip destination choice btw!

If you dont know Portugese, its basically just slurred spanish
WoMD
coastsrs said:

Want to go back to Portugal.

I enjoyed Ericeira and Peniche alot. Lisbon is cool for a day or two. There is too much else to see as everyone else has noted above. Good trip destination choice btw!

If you dont know Portugese, its basically just slurred spanish

But I've heard speaking Spanish will not make any friends fast.
JMac03
AG
Sometimes I can save people money on international flights (I've booked several Texags folks). If you have dates and want me to check it out - just shoot me an email (link in profile). Sometimes it's just $100, sometimes it's $400-$500 a ticket. Holidays tends to be a little less or even none.
Squirrel Master
AG
Thanks for the responses so far. Sounds like there will be plenty to do. Glad to hear such good things about Porto.

Jmac, if we end up doing this, I'll let you know.
eiggA2002
AG
Stay in Portugal the whole time. Spain is a totally different trip in my opinion and you'll spend a decent amount of time traveling between the two. As mentioned earlier, Porto is fantastic and a great jumping point to head to the Douro. You can make a stop between Porto and Lisbon at one of the many towns/cities along the way if you like. Lisbon is wonderful as well. Day trip to Sintra or the coast if you have time or just enjoy Lisbon.

For reference we flew into Porto, did 2 nights in Porto, 3 nights in the Douro, and 5 nights in Lisbon (flew out of Lisbon).

The weather in Porto that time of year will be a bit chilly and rainy, but Lisbon will be a bit warmer. We were there in December and I was in pants and a t-shirt during the day and a jacket or sweater at night.

Portugal exceeded our expectations by a mile. Definitely a must see country.

RAB83
AG
Apache, you just added Tomar to my list.

FWIW, here's my two cents about Portugal, which is one of the friendliest countries in Europe. The starting point is Lisbon. There's a rich history, which you should look up before you go. There's a great introductory museum on the Praa do Comrcio, by the Tagus River. I recommend starting there. Download the Rick Steve's app and his Lisbon walks.

Here are a few Lisbon highlights...

So Jorge Castle

Tower of Belem

Monument of Discoveries

Jernimos Monastery

Lisbon Tile Museum (overlooked and missed by most Americans)

Just outside of Lisbon is Sintra. It's a quick train ride. Here's the Castle of the Moors.

Pena Palace (stunning)

We didn't have time to visit both and had to choose between Porto and the Duoro Valley to the north versus the Algarve to the South. We went north, which was the wrong choice. We have a running debate in our house about the ugliest city in Europe. It's between Porto and Athens. Rick Steves describes Porto as "gritty." That's probably how he describes Detroit. The best thing about Porto is the Livraria Lello, which inspired JK Rowling's Diagon Alley. The Duoro Valley was beautiful.

Livraria Lello

Duoro Valley

fire09
AG
Porto was amazing. Don't miss it
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.