15 year anniversary trip

1,909 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Goodest Poster
aggiefan2002
How long do you want to ignore this user?
My wife and I have an upcoming 15 year anniversary coming up, and I'd like to surprise her with an awesome trip.

Parameters:

5-6 nights
Travel each way no more than ~10 hours from IAH
Total budget $6-8k all in

We are medium adventurous, love delicious food, don't drink a ton, enjoy seeing beautiful sites, and really enjoy a mix of an activity a two a day mixed with some r&r (we have young kids so the 14 hour all day tourist thing is not priority right now).

We've been to Cancun, Costa Rica, and France internationally as well as many places across the US.

So where should we go, Texags?!
evan_aggie
AG
"Coming up" meaning you will travel on this trip in the fall? The next month or two?
aggiefan2002
I'm sorry, forgot that part. Can be anytime between October and February. Prefer off peak time for pricing obviously.
Vernada
AG
Vancouver?
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Since you're out if IAH, any of the direct flights to Western Europe will work nicely. Munich comes to mind. Lots to do/see and the alps are close by.
wessimo
AG
www.escapehouston.com

Lately there have been some <$500 fares to Europe.
HollywoodBQ
AG
Cabo San Lucas
Aggiewes
AG
Took a 30th anniversary trip to Oregon in July. It was OUTSTANDING. Low key with hiking, sites (Mt Hood, Crater Lake, etc) and the Oregon coast. Highly recommend!

Have fun!
breezecustomtravel
AG
I like the Oregon or Pacific Northwest idea; although the weather might not be too ideal at the time you are wanting to go but since it would be low season for that area you would probably find some deals.

I saw some decent deals for Scotland and I think that would an amazing trip....Beautiful landscape and scenery and there are some relaxing places to stay as well.

Lauren K '07
www.breezecustomtravel.com
@breezecustomtravel
mneisch
AG
Just came in to say I'm looking to plan my 10 year anniversary trip with about the same parameters (further window though, Septermber-ish of next year). Any and all advice is welcome.

I've been eyeing South America (Argentina?), New England, Mediterranean, and Alaska. We are probably looking for something along the lines of 7-10 nights.
Texaggie7nine
Young kids going with?

Maybe Pigeon Forge. See the Smokies, Dollywood ect.
7nine
RAB83
AG
Given those parameters, take her to Provence. Stay in St. Remy or Avignon. That's what we did this summer for our 35th (and visited Malta).

However, if it gives you any inspiration, here's what I did for my 15th anniversary...

First, I sort of messed up. I realized I had scheduled a presentation in Southern California the day of our anniversary and this was not something I could get out of. A colleague said, "Just bring her out to Cali."

Duh.

I booked rooms on the Queen Mary, which is permanently docked in Long Beach. I planned several days doing things like visiting the Getty, taking a boat to Catalina, etc.

I arranged for my mother-in-law to get the kids and take care of them. My wife was working at our church and there was a big luncheon with all of the staff. Her boss interrupted the luncheon to say she had an announcement, which I scripted. She told my wife she had two hours to get home pack, and be on a flight to L.A., that the kids were taken care of, the itinerary for the next few days was discussed in front of everyone, complete with pictures, and finally, she was given an present that she was to open and wear on the flight. It was a string of black pearls she wanted.

It was a great time. When I got home, the pastor took me aside and said, "You realize that every guy in this church hates your guts right now, don't you?"
K_P
AG
RAB83 said:

When I got home, the pastor took me aside and said, "You realize that every guy in this church hates your guts right now, don't you?"

Thats awesome! Need to do something like that
VAXMaster
AG
In general for a 5 night trip I would skip Europe - too much of the trip is spent in transit and recovering from jetlag. Depending on time of year, Bar Harbor/ Acadia NP; NYC; and Boston have all been enjoyable couples getaway type trips for us.
Goodest Poster
AG
OP,

If you haven't made a choice yet, I will make a recommendation.

Waldorf Astoria at Pedregal in Cabo.

Just got back...was blown away. Resort was amazing, not very busy (never waited for lounge/cabana at pools), and service is fantastic. They have the top rated restaurant Farallon on site. In my honest opinion there is def better food to be had in the city, but the views and the experience are worth an anniversary dinner in itself.

As an anniversary trip, your personal concierge will do little stuff to make the trip nice. Ours brought charcuterie (sp?)boards, along with Guac and beer daily. Gave us some nice little gifts and made sure we ate where we wanted, when we wanted. Airfare is cheap (we flew SW) since its a short flight.

There are plenty of excursion type things to do, golf courses, culture, etc. We couldn't endorse it more.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.