Beijing

1,042 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Josepi
MemorialTXAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Never been. 5 solo days await. Any tips/recs welcome, especially for afternoons/evenings . Tia.
HollywoodBQ
AG
Great Wall
Silk Market (knock-off merch)
Go by a real Apple store just to watch the pandemonium. Feel free to check out a fake Apple store too for compare/contrast.

I met an Aggie Band buddy who lived in Beijing and we went to a brewery down a little Hutong alley. Met a bunch of foreign travellers. That was pretty cool. Kind of reminiscent of the Leonardo DiCaprio movie "The Beach". Definitely one of those travellers could have talked us into a secret/hidden island.
fire09
AG
Imperial Palace but make sure you book in advance, limited passes available.

On the east wall of the palace there is a place called wangfujing pedestrian street, go check that out.

Jingshan park on the north wall, go in the morning.

Grandma's has pretty good traditional Peking duck.
gggmann
AG
If you go see the Great Wall I recommend going to Mutianyu instead of Badaling.

Go see The Summer Palace, Temple of Heaven, Forbidden City, Tianenmen Square, the '08 Olympics Site, Wangfujing St. Go eat Peking Duck - there are 2-3 restaurants that are famous for it.

Oak Forest Ag
AG
Not sure of your budget, but we stayed at the Ritz-Carlton in May. I highly recommend it! If you can, pick up a few NBA t-shirts for giveaways and tips. I took 5-6 Rockets shirts and was treated like a hero!

Din Tai Fung for soup dumplings.
Josepi
AG
One tip on seeing the Wall (I suggest Mutianyu as well).

Take the train to the nearest train stop to the wall. Exit the train station, and there will be a bunch of guys there who can take you to the wall. Most of them drive mini vans. It is so much better than the organized tours. They drive you to the wall, sleep in their car while you explore, and drive you back to the train station whenever you are ready to leave. It is 1/2 the price of an organized tour, and they don't make to stop at all of the crap gift shops that the organized tours do. You can also spend as much or as little amount of time at the wall that you like.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.