4 Days Thailand - suggestions

2,087 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by JM04
samwise1723
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'll be spending 4 full days in Thailand this fall - flying In and out of Bangkok.

looking for some suggestions of things to do in the country, or more importantly places to stay. Not huge on partying, love the outdoors (both mountains and beaches), get bored with temple visits after the first couple usually, like to explore, not really budget limited. First time SE Asia (though lots of time spent Korea, Japan, Taiwan).

Thanks.
gggmann
AG
I have a house in Thailand and go there twice every year, so I like to think I'm reasonably familiar w/ it. Since you're only there for 4 days I'd recommend sticking to the BKK area with maybe once excursion out to hit a beach. My suggestions in no particular order:

• Stay in a hotel within walking distance to the BTS (skytrain). The Sukhumvit area is the most popular area for Farangs (westerners).
  • Take the BTS to Taksin station and walk to the RIver and catch the Chao Phraya River taxi up stream to see the 3 main temples: Wat Arun, Wat Pho, and The Grand Palace. I know you said you don't really like temples, but these are compulsory viewing IMO. You can do all 3 in a half-day. The River taxi makes several stops, so feel free to jump on/off and explore areas along the way.
  • Visit the Jim Thompson House to get a little bit of history on his life and to see a preserved teak house and garden.
  • Lumphini Park is a large green space in the middle of the City which is a good escape from the Urban madness.
  • Go to one of the many roof top bars one evening. Sunset is the best time, but the most crowded as well. I prefer either Octave at the Marriott Hotel or Vertigo/Moon Bar at Banyan Tree. Avoid the Sky Bar at Lebua Tower as it's way too crowded due to popularity from the 2nd Hangover film.
  • Visit one or more of the nightlife areas to get a taste of the Go-Go Bar scene. PatPong is the most famous and tamest. It includes a tourist ripoff nightmaket. Soi Cowboy is the most visually interesting. Nana Plaza is the seediest and has the largest concentration of Katoeys (ladyboys - I know it's not a PC term, but that's what they are called in Thailand). There are several 'safe' bars in each area where you can sit and people watch if you don't want to venture into an actual Go-Go. Also, there are Ladyboy shows (similar to a Las Vegas Show) which some folks find entertaining and funny.
  • If you want to drink and dance like a Thai, then go to RCA which is a large collection of Thai style discos.
  • If you are in BKK during the weekend then take the BTS north to the Chatuchak Weekend Market - it's huge, I mean really huge. They have everything imaginable for sale there.
  • You can go MBK mall which has a lot of knockoff goods for sale in the upper floors. It's within walking distance to the Jim Thompson House.
  • As far as beaches the are a couple of options both of which are a couple hours from BKK. Pattaya is to the Southeast. It's full of prostitutes and geriatric British and Aussie men as well as Russian and Chinese tourists. The beaches are dirty and the biggest attraction is the Go-Go bars, so unless you want to spend every night looking at naked girls dancing and/or soliciting I wouldn't go there. The other choice is Hua Hin to the Southwest. There are better beaches further south, but you'd need to take a domestic flight (****et, Krabi, Koh Samui).
  • Avoid Khao San Road area of Bangkok unless you want to be surrounded by dirty and broke backpackers. Also, avoid going to the Floating Markets - they are just tourist traps.
  • Foodwise - the street food is really good and better than what you'll get in most restaurants.

One more piece of advice: Depending on the timing of your arrival the queue a Immigration can be really long. They just implemented fingerprinting, and it's really slowed things down. If you fly business class you'll get to use Fast Track service. If coach, then you'll be stuck in the line. I highly recommend using this fast track service: https://www.limousine.in.th/fast-track-immigration-work.html
TXCityAggie
AG
I agree with staying in Bangkok. With only four days you don't really have time to go anywhere else. There is plenty of things to see and do in BKK to keep you entertained.

If you really want to go to a beach then Pattaya is a couple of hours away (I always take a taxi from Bangkok when I go). The beach isn't great compared to other places in the country, but you can reach Koh Larn island in about 30 minutes by ferry. The beach there is nice.
Hou-Ag
AG
I'll add to great recs above.

- If you take river taxi at BTS station Taksin, then you might as well visit the newest mega mall called Icon Siam which sits on river as well. Boat is free to mall and back.

-The King Power building (looks like a jigsaw with pieces of building missing) has an impressive observation deck/glass skywalk for around $30. Good for daytime. Tons of sky bars as mentioned above to go to at night.

-if using a taxi, try to find one that will use their meter instead of flat rate.

-I 2nd the Sukhumvit area. Tons of restaurants, bars, foot massage places($15 incl tip), etc
samwise1723
AG
Thanks for the recs everybody. I have something to get it started now!
Dr.Rumack
Chatuchak market is a must see.
JM04
AG
We are looking at Christmas 2020 for a 2 week trip. How busy is it at this time. All of the hotels are at least double. I'm more concerned about finding 2 weeks to leave rather than the extra cost but I also don't want it to be like Disney during spring break.

Looking at Chang mai, Koh lanta/Krabi & Bangkok
TXCityAggie
AG
That is definetly the high tourist season. I spent two weeks in Thailand in December 2017. It was noticeably more crowded than other times of the year but not insane. New Year's Eve in Bangkok was a blast. Prices are higher but still cheap compared to other parts of the world.
Hou-Ag
AG
The domestic airlines going from Bangkok to Chiang Mai/Krabi etc are usually pretty cheap fares. May need to book a little earlier than normal if going around the holidays. I've used Nok Air and Air Asia in the past out of 2nd Bangkok airport called Don Mueng.
atag
AG
We are going in march and my husband really wants to golf there so we are probably gonna hit up black Mountain in hua hin. It's a good 3 hour drive from Bangkok. What is the best way to travel? Can you rent a car internationally? Is there train travel? I can't find as much info as I could for Europe.
proudest member of the fightin texas aggie class of 2005.
gggmann
AG
atag said:

We are going in march and my husband really wants to golf there so we are probably gonna hit up black Mountain in hua hin. It's a good 3 hour drive from Bangkok. What is the best way to travel? Can you rent a car internationally? Is there train travel? I can't find as much info as I could for Europe.

Yes, you can rent a car, but you will need an international driver's permit. That being said I wouldn't recommend driving in Thailand until you spent some time in country because they drive a little crazy.

The rail network is pretty good. I've taken the overnight train many times to Isaan. For a 3 hr trip to Hua Hin the bus is another option. I've taken the bus several times to Pattaya, but not Hua Hin.
Hou-Ag
AG
Banyan Golf Club in Hua Hin is fantastic as well. 19th hole bar has gorgeous views at sunset. I would definitely stay away from driving in Thailand.
Austintm
I hear you only need one night in Bangkok. It makes a hard man humble.
kwammer
atag said:

We arranged transportation(essentially a van) from BKK to Hua Hin and back. It was reasonable and comfortable.
atag
AG
How did you do that? Is there a company you can reach out to for that? Appreciate any info given
proudest member of the fightin texas aggie class of 2005.
gggmann
AG
atag said:

How did you do that? Is there a company you can reach out to for that? Appreciate any info given

Just google Hua Hin private taxi or BKK to Hua Hin taxi. There are dozens of companies. Just guesstimating it will probably run you $50-$75 each way.
JM04
AG
What Airline do you recommend using? My experience in the past is steer away from domestic carriers and use a foreign operator - I will be travelling w/ my wife and 2 kids.
TXCityAggie
AG
Are you talking about airlines for flights within Thailand?
JM04
AG
Flight to Thailand
Hou-Ag
AG
If going west, Eva Air usually has good prices. They connect thru Taipei which is way better than China Air and Beijing. Inflight entertainment system and more leg room etc are better on Eva.
JM04
AG
thanks.
I Play With Guns
S
Flying business class on EVA is a total dream
gggmann
AG
JM04 said:

What Airline do you recommend using? My experience in the past is steer away from domestic carriers and use a foreign operator - I will be travelling w/ my wife and 2 kids.
It depends on your starting point. I fly from PHX, so it's a minimum of 3 flights for me to BKK. There are no direct flights from the States to Thailand since Thai Airways stopped their LAX>BKK flight a few years ago.

I've flown to BKK in coach class on the following carriers: Asiana, Korean, Thai, United, Cathay Pacific, ANA , and EVA. I rate Asiana and Korean above the others. United isn't bad as long as you have Economy Plus, but they stopped their flights into BKK a few years ago, so your last leg will be on a partner airline. Although not a show stopper, I don't care for the seats on Cathay Pacific or ANA. I've only flown business class on Asiana and Thai. Asiana was very nice. Avoid the Mainland Chinese airlines. I lived in China for a couple of years, and based on my experiences I will not fly on those airlines or make a connection in mainland China.

Just as important as the airline is the route. I've flown through Tokyo (NRT & HND), Osaka, Incheon, Hong Kong, Singapore, and Taiwan. My preference is Incheon or Tokyo NRT as it breaks up the flights more, and I can catch a shower during the layover (free at Incheon or via United Club lounge at NRT).
TXCityAggie
AG
I fly Singapore Airlines when I go to SE Asia and love it. The layover in Singapore's airport is a vacation itself.
JM04
AG
Thanks for the info. I will be flying out of Houston, most of what I see is EVA air right now. Since we are going over Christmas 2020. I am trying to look at cost and budget based on 2019 costs. Most of the resorts and places are already filling up.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.