BA pilot strike

2,940 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by 07ag
Potcake
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We are scheduled to fly BA from Austin to Heathrow then to Split next Wednesday. Were supposed to fly BA from Split to London to NY on Sep 9th. Wife got an email indicating return flights are cancelled due to a pilot strike on the 9th, 10th, and 27th.

Wife's 50th so we had first class. We have option of cancelling entire for money back, keeping reservations and getting there and hope a deal is struck before we come back, or arrange a different way back and eat the pre-paid BA return. Anyone run into this type of situation, and I'm not talking about a distraught wife? My assurances that this is a first world problem are not helping.
HollywoodBQ
AG
Can you change the return to the 8th?
Potcake
AG
Wife said BA doesn't fly out of Split everyday. She just got email tonight so we have a few days to try and figure out. She got trip insurance but don't know how that would come in play.
07ag
AG
Assuming you paid cash, I'd take the refund and book with another carrier,, but I've no idea what that price difference would be and if it is bearable
https://ts.la/eric59704
JMac03
AG
Insurance should book you on a new carrier home in the event of a strike. In this scenario I would probably not cancel and rebook unless I could get it for the same/closeness price. BUT I would call your insurance company now. They are all created equally and some could even have strike limitations in them. Hoping it's someone good like Allianz, TravelGuard it Roam Right.
Hincemm
AG
Ba just emailed me and said strike was called off
SwissAgg
AG
Hincemm said:

Ba just emailed me and said strike was called off
I am flying to DFW on September 12th. The same notices were sent to me.

I was think about taking Iberia instead.
Potcake
AG
Yep, we were looking at all the more expensive options and wife got the email. Don't know which side flinched but I'm glad they did. I know I would take an 11.5% raise any time.
Potcake
AG
So, strike is not over. This CF is a public relations disaster. They have reinstated our flights but we're expecting a s***show trying to get back. Worst case (or best case?) scenario is BA has to put us up and feed us in Split a couple of days.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-49460958
JMac03
AG
Potcake said:

So, strike is not over. This CF is a public relations disaster. They have reinstated our flights but we're expecting a s***show trying to get back. Worst case (or best case?) scenario is BA has to put us up and feed us in Split a couple of days.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-49460958
Another reason I always recommend travel insurance. They should be able to get you on another airline if needed if you run into issues with BA (although not sure if it would be first class).
Potcake
AG
Yea, that's what we're afraid of. They would probably just try to get us on a plane. We'll have ten days in Split and islands before we have to deal with that.
Hincemm
AG
I coincidentally just got an annual plan from Allianz. I supposed this may give me an opportunity on how to use the policy.
JMac03
AG
Hincemm said:

I coincidentally just got an annual plan from Allianz. I supposed this may give me an opportunity on how to use the policy.
The only thing to be careful on annual plans is that you may have a max amount per trip (like $10k). I have only briefly looked in to them. Just keep in mind if you are going in an expensive trip, to verify the annual coverages are high enough or if you need a supplemental. I should have done an annual plan for me this year since I've now bought 3 individuals (my fam was on my first one) and I'll be taking a 4th trip in November. I know someone I work with really recommends RoamRight for annual plans but I haven't looked into them yet (I use Allianz and Travel Guard).
eiggA2002
AG
There are worse places to be stranded than London or Croatia. YOLO.
Hincemm
AG
JMac03 said:

Hincemm said:

The only thing to be careful on annual plans is that you may have a max amount per trip (like $10k). I have only briefly looked in to them. Just keep in mind if you are going in an expensive trip, to verify the annual coverages are high enough or if you need a supplemental. I should have done an annual plan for me this year since I've now bought 3 individuals (my fam was on my first one) and I'll be taking a 4th trip in November. I know someone I work with really recommends RoamRight for annual plans but I haven't looked into them yet (I use Allianz and Travel Guard).
it's funny...i looked up the policy details, and it sounds like it doesn't cover strikes by the carrier. oh well. we'll be ok.
JMac03
AG
Hope all turns out well for you. I never had to look into strike issues for me or any of my clients. I try not to get into specifics of insurance as if we start saying what it does/doesn't cover, we can be held liable, so we always point them to the documents. I always just get it for medical/cancellation coverage, never thought about strikes. I mainly don't want to fall and break my foot and get screwed in Mexico.
07ag
AG
did ya'll wind up keeping the flights that were supposed to go today?
Potcake
AG
We flew BA from Split to London and London to JFK yesterday, the 8th. Our last leg back to Austin was AA operating under BA. We dodged a bullet on that one because we got back to Austin around midnight.
07ag
AG
glad it turned out well and ya'll didn't get stuck in it!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.