Best stop between Jackson, MS and Birmingham

1,225 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by bufrilla
tamc91
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Driving kid No. 1 to start school in NC in August.
We pick up wife in Charlotte late the next day, so we have flexibility in where we stop.

Looking for a town that is relatively safe along I20 with a good non-chain restaurant. I've never spent much time in that part of the world, so open to suggestions.
TXTransplant
Grew up in MS, went to school in Starkville, and lived in North AL for a while. My advice would be to either stay in the outskirts/suburbs of Jackson or push on to Tuscaloosa or Birmingham and stay just outside the city there (Bessemer and Hoover are good 'burbs of B'Ham and are on your route). The only other real option is Meridian, MS, but I'd choose Tuscaloosa or Birmingham over that option. There will be lots of interstate hotel options to choose from (Hampton Inn, Holiday In Express, etc) and plenty of recognizable restaurants. You're not going to find non-chain unless you venture off the interstate and into the city.
dcbowers
AG
Birmingham is a nice place. I suggest pushing on and stopping in Birmingham.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
bufrilla
AG
Made that drive many times. Our normal stop is Pearl, Ms (Courtyard/Fairfield Inn&Suites). Have stayed several times recently in Meridian, Ms (Fairfield Inn&Suites/ Holiday Inn). As for restaurant, Pearl has at least half dozen within 1/4-1/2 mile of hotel (all chains). Meridian, we always use the Cracker Barrel and very close to (FIS).
Excellent non chain downtown Meridian, name I forget, but off the beaten path. Have stayed in Tuscaloosa, but stopped doing that long ago because of service at hotels/their prices way above Pearl/Meridan and even Bham.

Pearl leaves 625 miles to Charlotte. Meridian is about 550, Tuscaloosa about 460

If it's Tuscaloosa, might as well go the extra miles to Birmingham, won't have to fight the traffic next morning.
fourth deck
AG
We make the drive between Greenville, SC and DFW once or twice a year along that route. When going westbound we stop in Ridgeland on the northside of Jackson. That's a very nice part of Jackson, but not far enough going the other way. When going eastbound we usually stop in Meridian and stay at the Hilton Garden Inn. There are a handful of hotels clustered in that area and some chain restaurants, but I can't say Meridian really has anything else to offer. Tuscaloosa is the next decently-sized town after Meridian and then Hoover/Birmingham.
(removed:10EA24-2)
Check out Ave Maria Grotto and Simmons Wright General Store
CanyonAg77
AG
dcbowers said:

Birmingham is a nice place. I suggest pushing on and stopping in Birmingham.
You serious, Clark?

Maybe it's because we only went in to the airport, and that's an area where you wish you were well armed.

We never went that southern route, because we only went through Columbus MS. It would add an hour or more to your drive to go that way, but you could visit Miss State and even Ole Miss, if you wanted. Given that you have over 9 hours from Jackson to Charlotte, I'm with those who say push on, and get at least to, if not past, Birmingham.

Past puts you with a shorter trip the second day, and it would be great to be past morning rush hour. Then, all you have to worry about is trying to hit Atlanta after morning rush and before noon. Atlanta will suck to drive through.
TXTransplant
Yeah, the airport is not an area where they would want to stay. But the B'Ham 'burbs (Bessemer, Hoover, Vestavia Hills) are all pretty nice areas.

If you take the 459 loop to bypass the city, the airport area would be out of the way.
jarz94
AG
Currently live in Birmingham, would agree with TXtransplant. If you decide to stay in Birmingham would recommend Hoover over Bessemer, for one it's a much safer/nicer area, and two - interstate 20-59 is completely closed through downtown due to reconstruction, requiring detours through the city. Taking I-459 is the best option to drive through the city regardless.
tamc91
AG
I think y'all convinced me to drive the longer leg to Birmingham the first day. That will allow us to relax a little on day 2 since we don't need to hit Charlotte until 7pm. Thanks for suggestions.

Any suggestions on local non-chain places for lunch or dinners along the route is also appreciated.
bufrilla
AG
Walnut Hill in Vicksburg is excellent. Old Home converted to restaurant, offer all you can eat or order off menu. Excellent service. Half dozen blocks from downtown.

Weidmann's in Meridian. Close to downtown Meridian. Excellent.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.