Napa Winery Tours

11 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by YouBet
El_Gato
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Headed to Napa in late August and looking for a couple winery tour/tasting recs. Last time in we did Del Dotto wine cave tour and Silver Oak tasting. I'm looking for another cool tour or two like the wine cave deal that was more than just a tasting. Fun winery tastings appreciated as well. Schramsberg tour is already on the list.
Lupac
AG
Pride Mountain is a good one.
Austintm
So first I'm going to preach, then give you some suggestions for what I think you are looking for

Sermon: We make regular trips to Napa Valley, and stay up valley. Easier to get around. At some point in your wine growth, I urge you to switch to small production wineries where you can go sit, meet the people, drink great wine (and buy some) and not just go to the large production places (and, yes, Silver Oak and Del Dotto qualify as larger production, especially Silver Oak. And by the way, there are a lot better wines).

Suggestions: For some "different" experiences you are looking for:

-- Sterling. Go up valley., Take the gondola ride up to the winery. The tour is self-guided, but fine. They view from up high back down the valley is pretty amazing -- nice outdoor patio overlooking the valley.

--Chappellet. Drive up Pritchard Hill. Take the tour. Enjoy another great view from up high.

--Hess. Drink the wine, enjoy the pretty extensive collection of modern art that they have there.

There are a lot of great places to eat. If you want recommendations, let me know. I will suggest one place: go to Addendum. It is a shack behind Ad Hoc (both owned by Thomas Keller). Go for lunch. You walk up to a window, and order fried chicken, ribs or pulled pork. The BBQ is actually pretty good, but the fried chicken is amazing. Just imagine what Thomas Keller could do with fried chicken -- yes, he can.
Ag_N_Houston
AG
Quintessa was a nice tour and tasting.
MAROON
AG
Cade is a beautiful setting.
mpl35
AG
Based on Recs from Texags, wife and I did Venge 2 summers ago. Reservation only. Loved it. Great wine. You sit on the porch overlooking the vineyard and drink wine. It isn't crowded. It isn't rushed. Quiet and nice.

I second Austintm's preaching. I have grown to like the smaller quieter places. He is also dead on about Addendum. Delicious fried chicken there that is actually cheap. With all the great food in NAPA it is hard to find great and inexpensive. They nailed it there.

I will also throw out Chateau Montelena. The grounds are quite nice and the wines are good too.
AG Custom
AG
Normally go once a year so here is my $0.02. Me and the wife (as well as our group that always goes) like red wines only and specifically more Cab fans than anything else so my suggestions are going to lean toward the more full and heavier cabs.

Del Dotto is always good and even if you have done it, it is worth it again just for the quality of wine as well as the experience.

O'Brien is a smaller private winery but if you call them, they can set up a tasting. Off the main area so vineyard feels exclusive and quite. Beautiful grounds and great wine. Hope the weather is nice to sit outside.

Duckhorn - more mainstream and commercialized but the wines are good, patio is very nice even in bad weather, and they are normally pretty generous. If you talk to your server a bit most of the time they will throw in a few extra wines to taste as well.

Alpha and Omega - This is right off the main road, great grounds with a lake in front and great wines.

You can do Sterling for the experience but honestly all their wines IMO are not good (i admit i am pretty snobby with my wines), but the view of the valley from up top on a nice day is really a treat.

Oakville Grocery is a cool little spot for lunch with a deli style menu. We also like to go to Gott's Roadside for the garlic fries. If you really like garlic, this is right up your alley....if not, dont even bother (my wife loves the, i can handle 2-3 fries as i am not a huge fresh garlic fan).

You really cant go wrong also by just picking out a random winery and going. We have found that the smaller wineries have better stories and give you much more personal attention.

We typically stay on North end of valley in Calistoga.

Best of luck.
TxAg20
AG
I'll 2nd Chappellet and add Vineyard 29 for wineries. Also, eat at Farmstead restaurant.

Of the others mentioned in this thread, I've been to Del Dotto and Alpha and Omega. Del Dotto is kind of cool and they have some good wines. It's a little more touristy, but you'll try probably 8 wines (versus 4 at most tastings) and they feed you. Alpha and Omega is fine, but it probably wouldn't make my short list.

For a small winery, I recommend William Cole.
752bro4
AG
O'Brien - been members for 3 years, love it
Caldwell if you want a colorful tasting experience
Schramsberg if you're into bubbles
Hall

Also been to Del Dotto caves (heavy handed pours, worth doing once)
Duckhorn - great patio/porch for a tasting
Far Niente - eh, garage is cool at least
Mondavi - good for a tour of the wine making process, eh on the rest
Cakebread - great tasting
Rombauer - great views
Domaine Carneros - castle-like venue up on a hill, good views, great people watching out on the patio

Tasting rooms:
Silver Trident
Beau Vinge
Modus Operandi
Orin Swift
JCB

Food recs for lunch above are great. Order ahead online for Gott's and avoid standing in line. Walk up and get a Pliny if you're into beer.
mpl35
AG
Alpha and omega are over priced IMO. They think they are awesome and act like it.
Big Al 1992
AG
Platypus Tours - take a bus with 10 people max - see 4-5 great independent wineries, have a picnic lunch at one of them, and you don't have to drive. They will box and ship any wines you buy on the tour.
SockDePot
The Don't miss I tell everyone- Caldwell

O'Brien is mentioned a few times above and is a good place.

If you can get it set up way ahead of time, black cat is the only club we've ever joined.
TitanAGGIE09
AG
Big Al 1992 said:

Platypus Tours - take a bus with 10 people max - see 4-5 great independent wineries, have a picnic lunch at one of them, and you don't have to drive. They will box and ship any wines you buy on the tour.

We were referred to do Platypus as well by a few people and it did not disappoint. Believe it's the #1 rated guided tour group and it was a fantastic time
YouBet
AG
FTR, one of the best bang for your buck wine clubs is Frank Family.

Cade is beautiful.

Caldwell is tops for the experience if you can swing a tasting with John F'ing Caldwell.

There are almost too many to even list, but I would probably randomly hit smaller wineries. You will most likely have a much more memorable experience.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.