Flying with friend's kids

1,384 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by BSD
BSD
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My 10 yr old son and I travel quite a bit and he's been asking for his buddies to come along on some of our adventures. His buddies' parents are cool with it but when thinking about logistics, I started thinking about getting through security at the airport with a child that isn't mine. Has anyone done this? Do they just ask the standard "who are you" question or do I need some sort of document? Or are there other considerations?
TXTransplant
If you're traveling domestically, I think it's unlikely anyone will even ask. My son and I have different last names, and no one has ever questioned me. The only time my son gets quizzed is when he's traveling as an unaccompanied minor.

If you're traveling internationally, you may get asked for documentation by the ticket agent or by passport control/immigration officials (this often happens when a parent tries to take their kid(s) out of the country without the other parent present).

Either way, the answer is to have a letter from the kid's parents specifying where y'all are going and the dates. I travel with one from my son's dad (we typically also have it notarized, but I don't think that's absolutely necessary).
malenurse
AG
My wife and I have both traveled internationally with our son without the other spouse. We carry a notarized document from the other giving us permission to travel.

It has always been acceptable.
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But, it's still on the list.
HollywoodBQ
AG
Our international travel was always after the kids were able to carry on a conversation but, I was always concerned that we might get questioned about why they were only traveling with one parent in those situations where we did that.

FYI - Internationally, you're considered an Adult at 16 y/o if you do that when your kids are a little older, it won't matter.

Now, as a frequent traveler, one thing that you will want to plan for is - flight delays, missed connections, etc.

So, it would be ideal if you are all on the same itinerary. In other words, you buy the tickets for everybody and have the other parents pay you back. Because, if you have everybody buy their tickets individually and try to get on the same flights, it might be be more difficult to get rebooked if there is a flight cancellation.

I've even had situations where my wife and I were on the same flights but were on separate tickets (mine was paid by work, her's was paid by me), so, it was difficult to get us seated together, or in one case re-booked after a flight cancellation. If they have to re-route you, you'll all want to get re-routed together.
TXTransplant
The only place we've ever been asked for extra documentation was when we had our passports checked as we entered Canada a few weeks ago. I can't remember what the agent said, but as soon as he said it, I told my son to get the letter out of his backpack (my son is 14). We were warned ahead of time that Canada is strict about this (I've heard Mexico is the same).

Another time, I heard a Southwest ticket agent question a dad who was trying to travel to somewhere in the Caribbean/Central America with his two kids. The mom had just dropped them off, so he just called her to park and come inside.
JMac03
AG
Besides the regular notarized letter others mentioned, I would also get one for consent to medically treat if necessary. We had both done for my inlaws (who have my son in Canada right now).
BMX Bandit
Can you take me and my kids on your adventures? Please? Pretty please?
ChipFTAC01
AG
My wife has been out of the country twice with our kids and both times I've forgotten to do this. Glad it hasn't been an issue.
jammer262
JMac03 said:

Besides the regular notarized letter others mentioned, I would also get one for consent to medically treat if necessary. We had both done for my inlaws (who have my son in Canada right now).

Consent to treat is very, very important!

Make sure there is contact info on the permission sheet as well. My friend was nearly rejected in Canada because her ex wasn't picking up the phone. The agent ended up texting from her personal phone and he picked up the next try.
Kool
AG
I am SO glad I read this thread last night. I'm flying with my wife and son and our son's friend (an Aggie's kid) to Europe tomorrow evening, and I never even thought of this. Wife is right now going crazy getting all of these things notarized and overnighted to us. What a disaster it would've been to arrive at the airport for an international flight and not be able to go, or to be able to fly between countries in Europe. Thanks, TexAgs!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
TXTransplant
Kool said:

I am SO glad I read this thread last night. I'm flying with my wife and son and our son's friend (an Aggie's kid) to Europe tomorrow evening, and I never even thought of this. Wife is right now going crazy getting all of these things notarized and overnighted to us. What a disaster it would've been to arrive at the airport for an international flight and not be able to go, or to be able to fly between countries in Europe. Thanks, TexAgs!

I've been to Europe a couple of times with my son, and they've never asked for any additional documentation. Canada is the only country where I've shown the letter. But I wouldn't risk it - because when you don't have it is when they will surely ask for it!
Kool
AG
Yup, thanks. A teenage boy, he has an expedited passport and a foreign-sounding last name. He just returned from Europe a few weeks ago with his grandparents and now he's going with us, he doesn't live in the same state that we live in. I really wouldn't blame an official trying to do their job for putting us through lots of hassle if we didn't have the proper notarized release from his parents.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
JMac03
AG
It is even important for things as minor as cruises - anything going out of the country. 9 times out of 10 they won't ask for it - but what they are trying to protect is one parent taking a child out of the country without the other's permission and risk not getting them back (or someone else's kid, etc). I never knew about it prior to being a travel agent, it was one of the first things I learned.
histag10
AG
I have never travelled with someone else's kids, and I never travelled with someone else as a child. I did, however, travel with an organization while I was still a minor.

We were required to have a medical power of attorney allowing the sponsors to care for us if we were injured or ill. They checked that documentation with ids (and my passport - travelling overseas).

If nothing else, I would at least get a medical POA for the kid.
BSD
AG
Thanks for all the great insights. This will be domestic travel for now, as I haven't even thought about international travel yet.

BMX Bandit said:

Can you take me and my kids on your adventures? Please? Pretty please?

Haha. Get in line...
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.