where can I buy British pounds locally

1,955 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by javajaws
happyinBCS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
any thoughts
07ag
AG
memorial city mall customer service
https://ts.la/eric59704
SW AG80
AG
Major banks will get them for you. Have to give them 7-10 days notice.
Potcake
AG
We always get foreign currency at our Wells Fargo
Stat Monitor Repairman
Chase bank downtown has it on hand. Need chase acct or cc.
schmendeler
AG
Do you mean kilograms?
wessimo
AG
If you are planning to travel to Britian to spend them you'll be better off getting them once you arrive.
dcbowers
AG
If you have a no-fee credit card, then you may not need British currency.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Potcake
AG
It's still helpful to have currency for tips and such.
Austintm
Most major malls have a Travelex. Used them recently to get some euros so I didn't have to immediately find a place when we landed to have tip money:

https://www.travelex.com

eiggA2002
AG
Airports have ATMs. I've not once gotten local currency prior to leaving the US.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Second for Chase downtown. Had to get Chilean pesos the other day. Said it would take 2-3 business days for them to be delivered but they arrived the following business day.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Also, the cheapest way to get foreign currency is at your bank followed by activating your debit card in the country you're visiting and pulling cash straight from the ATM.

All of the money changing spots charge crazy premiums.
SkiMo
AG
And remember when you're in a foreign country using a card, always choose the option to pay in whatever currency they use and not to pay in USD. You'll save yourself money.
ChipFTAC01
AG
Amegy keeps pounds, euros, yen, pesos, CAD and some other currency on hand. I know they have it at their HQ on 610. Not sure about regular branches.
jammer262
Most important thing, make sure your bank knows you are going to use your debit card in England. If you don't the machine will suck your card in and not give it back. It was a hard lesson to learn.
javajaws
AG
Get a free Schwab account that pays any atm fee and conversion fee and get money at airport atm when you arrive. I've been using one for a couple years for foreign travel and it's great. Bonus is you get a brokerage account as well.
javajaws
AG
...and yeah always set a travel alert on whatever card you plan to use when traveling.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.