Seaweed in Playa and Cancun

3,039 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by strohag
Yesterday
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So I just checked in on our resort regarding the seaweed problem and it basically looks horrible and the beach is inaccessible. This one is in Playa but i'm curious if this problem exists in Cancun as well? Any advice? Thanks.
Yesterday
AG
did some googling and found some pretty good info.

Just in case someone else was interested.

https://www.mexicanist.com/l/playa-del-carmen-sargassum-seaweed/
JMac03
AG
There has not been much on the hotel strip that I have noticed. There was zero over Spring Break, and I look from time to time at Hard Rock Cancun's webcams - and usually the are seaweed free. They definitely have far less than what the Riviera Maya area is experiencing - it has been terrible there this year. If you are open to other locations, Puerto Vallarta shouldn't have any either.
Here4Beer
AG
Was in Playa a month ago and the beach wasn't even usable. The smell is disgusting.
Yesterday
AG
JMac03 said:

There has not been much on the hotel strip that I have noticed. There was zero over Spring Break, and I look from time to time at Hard Rock Cancun's webcams - and usually the are seaweed free. They definitely have far less than what the Riviera Maya area is experiencing - it has been terrible there this year. If you are open to other locations, Puerto Vallarta shouldn't have any either.

I think we're going to change to Cancun. We bought trip insurance for the flights because we have kids and who knows if one of them will get sick last minute. Our friends did not, so we want to keep the same flights. Hotel has a 72 hour cancellation policy which is nice.
JMac03
AG
If you want any info about some of the hotels on the strip feel free to PM me. I have lots of personal photos from Hard Rock.
strohag
AG
Seaweed was fine at Excellence Playa Mujeres in early June. They keep the beach maintained but even the water didn't have much in it.
breezecustomtravel
AG
I'm hearing Cancun and everything north is fine with little to no seaweed.
And yes, you can check the Hard Rock Cancun webcams, they'll show the beach and how it looks.
Playa Mujeres should be good too!
Lauren K '07
www.breezecustomtravel.com
@breezecustomtravel
bmet
AG
I'm currently at iberostar quetzal playacar (south end of playa). At least in the last week it really hasn't been all that bad. It'll come in a couple waves/day, imagine 10-20 yards wide, but the tractors on the beach quickly remove it here. Mornings have been fine/calm with blue to the beach. After the wind kicks up in the day it seems to kick the seaweed particles around. So from the beach to around 20 yards out it's Galveston brown, but quickly blue beyond that. Water is <5ft deep way out there, so easy to walk out into the clear water Haven't noticed a smell and the beach completely pleasant to be at all day. Again, this is just from my perspective where I'm at. I was thinking on canceling before I left too, but glad I didn't
rondis23
AG
No seaweed mid to end of June at Finest Playa Mujeres. They do an Excellent job of keeping the area clean. Their sister property next door- Excellence, looked the same as well.
maverick12
AG
This is a great source of information regarding the sargassum invasion in Mexico. There forecasts as well as links to various webcams so you can see first hand.

http://seas-forecast.com/
eiggA2002
AG
A little color on the seaweed. We just got back from 8 days in Playa.

It's very dependent on where you are. Basically it'll come in and out depending on currents, winds, storms etc. For instance there was none the day we arrived. It came in the next day and then was gone a couple of days later. Came back in for a day and so forth. There are some areas that have it very bad and most of those are locations where none is cleaned up. Virtually all of it washes onshore and if it's not cleaned, it will pile up. I heard the public beaches in Playa were terrible.

The water was no issue and to be honest, it was clear especially if you get past the shoreline. I wouldn't cancel a trip over it. Since it cleaned by the resort, it wasn't just floating along the shoreline like some disgusting shag carpet.

Also, some resorts (including ours) clean the seaweed everyday. That's extremely important. If your resort doesn't your going to have a problem. If they do, it'll be fine. We love it down there and while there is seaweed, I think it's been blown out of proportion like pretty much every other story coming out of there.

Bmac04
AG
Just got back from Secrets Maroma and the beach was not usable. The smell was awful as well.
AgOutsideAustin
AG
Bmac04 said:

Just got back from Secrets Maroma and the beach was not usable. The smell was awful as well.

Damn, that's not good.
Softest sand I've ever been on.
Chickenag06
AG
Does anyone have an update on the seaweed? Looking at booking a trip late October and I'm wondering if it will be an issue then...
JMac03
AG
Chickenag06 said:

Does anyone have an update on the seaweed? Looking at booking a trip late October and I'm wondering if it will be an issue then...
It varies day by day, resort by resort. The least likely place for it to occur is the Cancun Hotel strip. You can view camera of the beach in the Hard Rock Cancun website. The Riviera Maya hasn't been extremely bad this summer. I can tell you we didn't see any at Hard Rock Riviera Maya over Spring Break but they do have areas that have a barrier. I had clients at El Dorado Royale in late April and it was awful.
MookieBlaylock
AG
just got back- Playa is still terrible-

Isla Mujeres gorgeous

wouldn't risk it with Playa
wcb
AG
Bmac04 said:

Headed there Thursday. Fingers crossed.
mike073
AG
I normally just add a small international data plan to my normal phone. There is normally enough Wi-Fi around for early and late day use.
Gig 'em Aggies!

Furlock Bones
AG
my wife and i getting away for a long weekend in 2 weeks. i was reading all about the seaweed problems. i was thinking about Secrets due to the better beach. but, i found a webcam near there. the beach was covered.

so, we're going to Excellence Playa Mujeres again instead.
culdeus
AG
I've heard a couple of reports this week of this thing just murdering the area. It's gotten so bad you can't even go outside for the smell, let alone hanging a the pool. It's not just the act of hauling the grass off the beach it's all in the water too.
wcb
AG
wcb said:

Bmac04 said:

Headed there Thursday. Fingers crossed.
Got back yesterday. Beach was definitely usable. Even did some swim training. The smell was hit and miss; better or worse at any given time. Never noticed it from the pools.
(removed:10EA24-2)
Will never know what that's like because I will never go- mortified of Mexico-
My kids go and it terrifies me .

Florida Forever ...
strohag
AG
I understand you don't think it's safe however you never know. People shopping in Wal-Mart were shot up this past weekend in El Paso. Honestly I've felt more unsafe in parts of Houston than I ever have in Cancun or Cabo. Personal preference but ive even recently talked my parents into giving Mexico a shot.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.