Clemson Hotel Wants to Cancel My Reservation

3,132 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by txags92
AggieCaddie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Any of y'all ever received an email from a hotel saying "unforeseen circumstances" and we can't honor your reservation? I booked Courtyard Marriott Clemson for Sept 6-8 months ago for $150/night. Got an email today asking me to rebook at their partner hotel in Greenville that will honor this rate and they'll bus me to the game.

Do I have any recourse? Can I refuse their offer?
Matsui
AG
I'd call Marriott customer service ASAP.
2wealfth Man
AG
I wouldn't hold out hope with respect to Marriott. A few years back they loaded some "incorrect" rates for NY Eve in New York. They would not honor or own their mistake and could have cared less about the fallout to travel plans, etc. It is just the way they roll unfortunately.

Do you know anyone who manages a pretty sizable travel budget or corporate travel program. I would also see if there is anyone on the boards who may have that kind of leverage who could help.
htxag09
AG
That's crap, but doubt there is much you can do. They should at least be giving you a free night or a significantly discounted room when relocating you an hour away. How nice of them to move you an hour from where you wanted to be at the same cost!
Ag_N_Houston
AG
This happened when I booked our hotel for the Auburn game (the year of Johnny). I called and demanded an explanation. Apparently the hotel had a fire. Luckily we were able to find another room last minute.
AlphaBean
AG
I booked a hotel in Clemson way back in September at 200/night. In February they emailed me an automated cancellation and rebooking at a much higher rate. They then left a voicemail that it's a game weekend and the real rate is supposed to be 650, let them know if I want to cancel instead. I didn't call back right away because I just did not want to deal with that at the time, already had some tough personal stuff going on. I had planned to call back and threaten to call the state attorney general for violating consumer protection laws but a couple of days later I received yet another cancellation and rebooking at my original rate, with a voicemail apologizing.

It's not a Marriott, though. I stay at a lot of those and have never had that happen before. Are they advertising rooms available for the same dates? I'd definitely be raising hell.
AggieCaddie
AG
So I called the main Marriott customer service line. They saw my reservation as active and confirmed. I told them about the email and they said I should call the hotel direct and tell them I'm not cancelling.

When I called the hotel directly, I was told there was a "massive computer glitch" and the hotel was oversold by 70 rooms. SEVENTY ROOMS! I had booked the room on 9/18/2018. I asked how they will determine which reservations to cancel. They said it will be based off Marriott loyalty points (garbage) for which I have next to none.

I anticipate a total screw job upcoming.
ColoradoMooseHerd
AggieCaddie said:

So I called the main Marriott customer service line. They saw my reservation as active and confirmed. I told them about the email and they said I should call the hotel direct and tell them I'm not cancelling.

When I called the hotel directly, I was told there was a "massive computer glitch" and the hotel was oversold by 70 rooms. SEVENTY ROOMS! I had booked the room on 9/18/2018. I asked how they will determine which reservations to cancel. They said it will be based off Marriott loyalty points (garbage) for which I have next to none.

I anticipate a total screw job upcoming.
If they are truly over-booked by 70 rooms and you have zero loyalty, than you are screwed. No chance in hell they bump and loyalty member for you.
07ag
AG
so,, last september 18th same as you, i'd booked that same hotel for those nights, and when i booked, it said i could cancel up until 2 days before the booking, on september 4th.

about a week ago (middle of june) i got a 2nd confirmation email for this reservation, but the free cancellation period changed to already be ended in may.

now, i had been slacking about booking flights on this and everything is now expensive. also, i stumbled upon some qantas award availability for biz class to new zealand in august, i'm coming home just before clemson weekend; so i'm probably going to not use this reservation anymore.

was going to call and see about getting the original cancellation period reinstated, but, i wonder if it's possible to transfer my reservation to you or someone if i do cancel my trip to the clemson game

oh, and, i'm a lowly gold elite with 1900 marriot points right now, but i guess that was enough for me to make the cut
https://ts.la/eric59704
fourth deck
AG
AggieCaddie said:

Any of y'all ever received an email from a hotel saying "unforeseen circumstances" and we can't honor your reservation? I booked Courtyard Marriott Clemson for Sept 6-8 months ago for $150/night. Got an email today asking me to rebook at their partner hotel in Greenville that will honor this rate and they'll bus me to the game.

Do I have any recourse? Can I refuse their offer?
Are you hoping to walk to the game? If not, and if their partner hotel is the one in downtown Greenville, then you should absolutely take that deal. Any Ags that don't get to see downtown Greenville will be missing out on this road trip.
FirefightAg
AG
We are going to the game as well and looked at staying in Greenville (we've been there before) it's a neat place with lots to do outside. I bet it's nice that time of year too. Just didn't want to have to deal with the travel but if they were providing a bus I'd be all in.
Leander - Ag
AG
Staying in Greenville as well. It will be a better time.
Aggie@state.gov
AG
I booked 6 rooms also a year out probably the day they released the rooms for that weekend.

I got a hellava rate - lower than AggieCaddie.......

Like 07Ag In the last 2 months the rooms have gone from regular cancellation (2 days prior) to non cancellable 100 days out but now I have been charged for the whole stay prepaid and non refundable.

I am Marriott Golden Pigeon class (LT Titanium) so I don't worry about them cancelling but i am miffed about charging me in full now.........now my buddies owe me now instead of collecting in Sept......

..and we have no tickets........
dcAg
To what airport is everyone flying?
DantheAggie
AG
07ag - I am headed to clemson and could use a hotel room if you think you can transfer your reservation to me.
AggieCaddie
AG
Yeah, here's exactly what happened: https://andystravelblog.boardingarea.com/2019/07/09/courtyard-marriott-clemson-cancellation/

41 comments, too
schmendeler
AG
how do they justify cancelling by point status, rather than reservation date? what's the point of making a reservation if they can cancel it whenever they like if someone with more status wants your room?
txags92
AG
schmendeler said:

how do they justify cancelling by point status, rather than reservation date? what's the point of making a reservation if they can cancel it whenever they like if someone with more status wants your room?
$$$ Pure and simple.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.