Against reason...

42,656 Views | 178 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by wessimo
sawemoffshort85
How long do you want to ignore this user?
My father-in-law has taken up a relationship with a lady from Kiev, Ukraine. Other than I think he's a big catfish in all of this, is there any reason he shouldn't go next month. I keep having these thoughts of getting a call demanding ransom! I'm not convinced that I would want him back! LOK
(removed:10EA24-2)
Have mercy ... he should NOT go
Vernada
AG
K&R Insurance
Vernada
AG
just to be clear: has he actually met her before?

Like he's making the trip with her?

Or is this the online type thing and he's going to meet her for the first time?
JMac03
AG
Allianz, CSA and Travel Guard are all good travel insurance companies. Make sure you insure his trip.
txags92
AG
Make sure he leaves behind a will and PoA for his kids and puts a block on his credit file. Has catfish written all over it...
histag10
AG
Can someone go with him?
GigEmAgs15
AG
Hit up @NevSchulman on Twitter...he's the host of Catfish and will probably offer up some words of wisdom....
\_()_/
SwissAgg
AG
Which city is he going to?

A friend of mine was robbed and beaten there a few years ago.

Another friend of mine goes there regularly. Maybe it is luck of the draw.
Vernada
AG
GigEmAgs15 said:

\_()_/
Is that supposed to be a shoulder shrug? Or what catfish uncle is going to Kiev for?
(removed:10EA24-2)
He may be just lonely- see if you can help him join a card group, men's church group, y'all visit more often and stagger the visits, call up his closest friends and voice your concern and they'll go visit him more often I bet, get him interested in his old hobbies, get a caregiver/ companion to go visit him for a few hours a couple of times a week, rent or buy him audio books... just try to think of diversions for him.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Good for him. This is pretty common. I know / have heard of many folks that go this route. Make sure its an established agent / tour company and tell him to have a good time.

You are gonna pay either way, but way more cost effective to go this route than finance some worn out local re-tread on her third marriage. Listen to a bunch of ****bird kids. No thanks. If the dudes got a shot a fit Ukrainian woman with reasonable expectations, Godspeed to him.
aggiepaintrain
AG
Might as well kiss entire net worth good bye.
This is a bad idea.
NoahAg
Hostel Part 3
TXCityAggie
AG
Need more information here.
Stat Monitor Repairman
TXCityAggie said:

True. Post pic(s) of 'lady from Kiev'
wessimo
AG
nm
SwissAgg
AG
Stat Monitor Repairman said:

TXCityAggie said:

True. Post pic(s) of 'lady from Kiev'
Right. I just re-read the original post.

My friend was robbed in Kiev. Perhaps it was just bad luck.

It could happen in Houston as well.

I would not go to personal residences and only stay in the kind

of tourist areas.
wessimo
AG
The ladies are MUCH more dangerous to financial wellbeing than a street thug.
Vernada
AG
we certainly need clarification - to me, there are two completely trips possible here.

He is traveling with her to visit her home country - probably OK

He is making a trip to Ukraine to meet her - almost certainly not OK
Seabreeze
How much money has he already given her (them) to this point is the question.
SwissAgg
AG
wessimo said:

The friend of mine was in the hospital for two months and almost died.
wessimo
AG
Sorry for your friend, hope he's doing better.

Of course a street thug could kill you. I just meant that they aren't likely to take your house and half (or more) of your assets.
Stat Monitor Repairman
wessimo said:

Fixed this.

These girls want to gtfo of the Ukraine and into the west. They aren't gonna be robbing people off the matchmaking service they are signed up with. Thats short sighted and counter to their objective.

Brazil and SA generally, yes. Hold onto your butt, but thats not whats going on here.

IMO the dude should go on this trip and check it out. Nothings gonna happen to him other than having a good time.

Alternative is waitin around to die, going to church potlucks chasing after some old retreads.

I hope the dude goes on this trip and reports back. Should be entertaining.

Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Hopefully the have at least video chatted. I might also suggest finding a company that does background checks to make sure she appears on the up and up. I'd advise him to met with her at his hotel or public places and register with the local embassy. Keep his valuables locked up and setup scheduled checkins daily to make sure things havent gone south.

I agree, its a good option compared to his options here unless he has a full head of hair, slim waist and 5M net worth.
ColoradoMooseHerd
Post Pic of Ukraine woman
Vernada
AG
Really need op to come back and give us some more info
KJN86
AG
Tell him to pay for her to fly here.
sawemoffshort85
Sounds like most see things the way I do.

He has talked to her via email and video chat- at exorbitant rates. He pays through the nose for all communication. Seriously, I think he's paying about $100 per email and several hundred per chat. I have no idea what the personal visit is going to cost him, but I'm guessing in the thousands.

The plan, as I understand it, is that he will be picked up at the airport by limo and driven to a hotel.

I'm more than a little concerned. This man has flown maybe 10 times in his 70+ years. He has never flown internationally.

I really have a bad feeling about this, and he's so hardheaded to see any danger.
Vernada
AG
Holy crap. Yeah. That's terrible. He's knows this isn't normal right?

He can't find a stateside prostitute that can do this for him?
TXCityAggie
AG
Tha hell? Tell him to go to Pattaya, Thailand...it'll be a lot cheaper.
Vernada
AG
This was from my first google attempt.

https://www.scamwatch.gov.au/types-of-scams/dating-romance

Surely with a bit of effort you can find something to persuade him that this is not only a terrible idea but also almost certainly very dangerous.
Stat Monitor Repairman
I hope I'm still doing **** like this when i'm 70.
HollywoodBQ
AG
As long as he's not on Malaysia Airlines, he should be fine travelling to Ukraine.

Seriously though, I have a late uncle who went the Colombian mail order bride route. It's big business and it's a long process. In my uncle's case, the marriage lasted about a decade before she figured out that he didn't really have any money and split.

She never did the paperwork to get her green card and my uncle refused to turn her in even though she continued to steal from him as they were legally still married and she had access to his bank account.

She knew which day his Social Security check got deposited and would suck all the money out immediately. My parents ultimately helped my uncle open a new bank account and redirect his Social Security into the new account.

Last I heard she's somewhere in Florida. I hope she gets deported along with her Colombian child who never got her paperwork sorted out either.
TXCityAggie
AG
Read this article.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.