California vacation help: SF, Carmel, central coast, LA

4,254 Views | 41 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Jock 07
DTP02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So I've slacked off on vacation planning and don't have any SF dining options figured out.

I need a Fri night option for SF. I was thinking of Top of the Mark. Thoughts on it for family with teens? Not sure if I want to get dressed up or, especially, force the kids to dress up.

I also need a recommendation for ChinaTown, probably for lunch although it could be dinner. I'm thinking maybe a Dim Sum place. Fodor's likes City View restaurant in Chinatown. Thoughts?

We also plan to do lunch or dinner in Fisherman's Wharf. Any recommendations there?

We'll be staying a few blocks from Union Square so any breakfast, lunch or dinner options in that area would be great as well.

Lastly, dining recs for Sausalito? We will be coming off a long bike ride there over the GG bridge, so it would need to be fairly casual. Probably either a late lunch or early dinner.
SW AG80
AG
In ChinaTown try RJs. Think that's the name. When we played California in baseball back in 2015? we ran into the California baseball coaches at dinner late one night. They recommended RJs, as did people at the hotel. For breakfast around Union Square, go to Sears. It is on the cable car line about 1 block from Union Square.

Have dinner at Original Joe's. Best steak I have ever had and really good pasta made in house. Right off Columbus (I believe) on the far side of Little Italy. Right down the hill from Coit Tower.
Pahdz
We stayed at the Mark Hopkins, Top of the Mark is just appetizers and drinks. Great views and we had our 8 year old. All types of attire were there
DTP02
AG
Thanks, that's good to know on the dress code. How's the food? Would you recommend starting there for appys and drinks and going somewhere else for dinner, or making a meal out of multiple appys?
DTP02
AG
SW AG80 said:

In ChinaTown try RJs. Think that's the name. When we played California in baseball back in 2015? we ran into the California baseball coaches at dinner late one night. They recommended RJs, as did people at the hotel. For breakfast around Union Square, go to Sears. It is on the cable car line about 1 block from Union Square.

Have dinner at Original Joe's. Best steak I have ever had and really good pasta made in house. Right off Columbus (I believe) on the far side of Little Italy. Right down the hill from Coit Tower.

Could it have been R&G's in Chinatown? That's one I've seen recommended.
SW AG80
AG
Yes, it is R&G.
DTP02
AG
Basically two nights and most of two days in LA. Staying in Santa Monica and will spend several hours/ half day exploring SM pier and Venice Beach area.

That should be fun, but really not sure what to do with the rest of my time.

I'm somewhat interested in Griffith Observatory.

Kids want to see some celebrity type stuff but can't really articulate what that means exactly. Drive Rodeo drive, Beverly Hills? Walk of fame?

Universal Studios- is this more like an attraction or can you actually get behind scene and see stuff or get in an audience somewhere?

This is so not my cup of tea. I've got the rest of the trip pretty we'll figured out, including some input from those on here, but I'm lost in LA.
Jock 07
AG
Space shuttle is at the science center if that interests you
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.