California vacation help: SF, Carmel, central coast, LA

4,253 Views | 41 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Jock 07
DTP02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I posted a topic asking for help for our summer vacation a while back, but our plans have since evolved considerably.

Now we are doing 10 days in CA, flying into Sacramento, renting a car for the duration, and flying out from LA. We have the flights and the cars and are now working on the lodging and itineraries.

Tentative outline for itinerary is 2 nights in SF, 3 nights in Carmel (possibly 2 Carmel plus one Big Sur depending on lodging etc, although I'm hesitant to do a bag drag for such a short distance), 3 nights in a coastal town TBD (looking at Pismo Beach, Cambria, and Santa Barbara right now), plus a full Sat and Sun in LA before catching a red eye home.

This is a family trip with two athletic teen boys. We are fairly active, although I'm a bigger hiker than the rest, and we like to eat well and the boys are fairly adventurous eaters for the most part. I don't know that we want to eat too upscale because I'm not sure I want to pack anything nicer than one business casual outfit.

On our arrival day we are getting in at lunch time and planning to drive to SF via the northern route and stopping at Muir Woods. The missus and I have been before quite a while back, but I think it was just a short stop and I don't remember doing any real hikes or anything. Is it more of a stop and see the redwoods or are there worthwhile hikes or other sites?

Also, any lunch rec's en route from Sac (SMF) to Muir Woods, probably closer to Sac since our bellies will be on CST?

Any other recommended stops coming in on that route from Sac to SF? We like wine and wine tastings, but I don't want to subject my boys to too many of them, so a winery that had something to occupy them would be ideal. Same for Monterrey wineries and points south.
-
San Francisco
We haven't been in 15+ years. Is the Union Square area still a good option for basing out of? We want to park our car and walk or cable car as much as possible, and will want to take kids to Chinatown, Lombard, and the wharf. You hear about the increased homeless problems and associated fecal issues and I'd like to not be right in the middle of that.

Any lodging recommendations, either area or specific places? Location is big, I'd like it to be fairly nice and comfortable, but I don't care much about 5* amenities because we won't be spending a ton of time there. My wife and I stayed at the Sir Francis Drake last time, is that still a good option?

We are planning to rent bikes and and ride across the GG bridge to Sausalito, and then ferry back across. I assume I can find a place to do this online, but if you have a vendor that'd be great. Is Sausalito worth allocating a lot of time for, including lunch and/or dinner? Never been and don't know much about it other than a destination for our bike ride.

Any recs in ChinaTown, lunch or dinner. I'm think a Dim Sum place but can be persuaded otherwise.

Any other lunch or dinner options? I'm thinking we'll probably get some seafood for lunch when down at the wharf.

Any other activities or must sees for our relatively short time in SF?
-
Carmel, Monterey, Big Sur
We are planning to base out of Carmel for our next leg because we feel like we can let the kids have some freedom to run around town on their own there, which means we can have some separation from them including maybe meals and/or date night.

I know we will spend some time at Carmel beach, and I remember being impressed by the Monterey aquarium and may take the kids there if they're up for it. I remember seeing that there is a Sea Otter area to the south and I love otters so I wonder if anyone has been there.

Looking for lodging, dining, activities, sights recommendations in the area. Open to staying a night in Big Sur just to be closer to nature.

I'd like to do at least one hike in Big Sur area.
-
Central Coast: Pismo Beach, Cambria, Santa Barbara, other

We want to base the next few days on the coast somewhere heading toward LA. I've never been anywhere between Big Sur and LA, so I'm completely open.

I get the idea that Pismo or Cambria would be much more laid back and less crowded than Santa Barbara, which I think fits what we want, but I can be persuaded. I'm open to other locations as well, but those three are the ones that jumped out as options in my brief research.

Don't have a whole lot in my mind for this stretch. I'd like us to take some surfing lessons and try to surf. I think it might be fun to do a dune buggy outing but I don't know if you get to have fun or it's more like just riding in a golf cart.

Thoughts on Hearst Castle as a stop? Do you think teens would think it's cool?

Any suggestions for location, lodging, dining, sights or activities in this part of the state would be greatly appreciated. We have nothing flgured out for this leg.

LA
Per son's request we included LA on this trip. If you can get me excited for this leg of the trip that would be outstanding.

I'm thinking we may base out of Santa Monica. Any lodging or dining recommendations in that area would be appreciated.

We will either come in Fri night and have two full days, or come in Sat morning.

Hanging out in Santa Monica pier area is on the agenda.

Don't have much more than that.

I'm guessing the boys will want to do some touristy Beverly Hills or Hollywood type stuff.

I may update this section as I get input from the boys but any suggestions on lodging, activities, eats, etc would be appreciated.
-

Great Wall of text, I know. If you have any thoughts or suggestions on any of the above I would appreciate it.

A general question I have is traffic. Will it be bad yet heading the northerly route from Sac to SF if I'm leaving Sac by 130 or so on a Friday?

I'm assuming LA won't be as horrendous on the weekend, and I'm just looking more at general congestion than huge delays when getting around?

Since we are Hop-scotching down the coast, I'm thinking we will just take 1 from place to place as we head south from Carmel to LA.
HollywoodBQ
AG
Wow, that's a lot to digest. Looks like you're somewhat knowledgeable.

Friday afternoon traffic in the Bay is going to be a nightmare.

What is your arrival date?
GigEmAgs15
AG
Walt Disney Family Museum in SF is incredible and very interesting, regardless of ages (not just for kids). I'd allow at least an afternoon.
DTP02
AG
HollywoodBQ said:

Wow, that's a lot to digest. Looks like you're somewhat knowledgeable.

Friday afternoon traffic in the Bay is going to be a nightmare.

What is your arrival date?

7/19. I had assumed that in terms of coming into SF that I'd be going counter to most of the traffic until I get close to central SF.
BSD
AG
Muir Woods is an hour hike even if you take it slow. You just need to realize that you know need parking reservations or else you'll have to shuttle in from elsewhere. I like it in the morning before too many people get there. Ive never been in the evening though.
FirefightAg
AG
Not a fan of central LA. San Diego and up north are great but you've already got flights

Santa Monica is ok it was pain for us to get there from LA. There's a huge shopping area right there your wife will like. Venice Beach muscle beach is just down the road I had always wanted to go see it and was pretty let down. It's close enough you could walk since you said y'all are athletic. I bet you'd have a week Worth's of stories after that walk. There's fishi g peirs In The area as well.

We went to a dodgers game and traffic was terrible. We were there for the UCLA Aggie game. The Rose bowl tour was actually pretty neat.

Drove out to Mailbu and down to marina del Rey but neither offered much from what I remember.
AggieMainland
Hearst Castle is super underrated if the weather is nice. I went in March and it was awesome. They have finished renovating the outside pool which is nice.

Stayed in Cambria one night. Good location but boring town. I expected more life. But can't beat location.

Stayed in San Luis Obispo as well. Amazing college town. I ate tri tip at Old San Luis Barbecue Company twice in 24 hours. So good. Not really sure that fits your plan but throwing it out there.
ladyinmaroon11
AG
In San Francisco - check out the Vantigo tours. Fun way to see the entire city in about 4 hours and you can always go back to the places they point out if you'd like to explore further. Plus they make some great restaurant recommendations along the way!
Also, a night tour at Alcatraz might be good to look into as well.
Scoma's is a great restaurant at the Wharf.

In Monterey, we stayed in Pacific Grove as it was more low key. Kayaking or paddleboarding in the bay would be a great option. We did a whale watching tour that was really fun.

We drove down to Big Sur and back in a day, but exploring Point Lobos was great for some quick trails and beautiful scenery.
Wicked Good Ag
Solvang might be an interesting side trip
SW AG80
AG
We love Carmel and go often. The aquarium is great. Last time there we took a whale watching cruise and saw 25-30 blue whales. It was amazing. Also saw some whales when we were at Point Lobos State Park south of Carmel.

If you are there on Sunday morning, go to the brunch at Mission Ranch. It is Eastwood's place. Price is very reasonable for what you get. Great food. Eat outside. It is where the Carmel River runs into the bay. With 2 boys the age of yours, you will get your money's worth.

And I will second the Hearst Castle. Finally went there last trip and it was much, much better than I expected. Beautiful drive down the coast on the way to your next stop after leaving Carmel. I would skip Cambria and go on down to San Louis Obispo.
FirefightAg
AG
SW what time of year was that and do you know when peak whale watching is?
SW AG80
AG
It was in August. Probably later into the fall is peak season. Google one of the whale watching cruises and their website will tell you or call them. That was an unusual year for whales in Monterrey Bay.
aggiedata
AG
I like spending time in Sausalito more than SF. Good restaurants on and over the water. Scoma's and Spinnaker. May not be fun for kids but we hike the residential areas above the town. Discovering small hotel bars and coffee shops along the way.

Ferry will put you back in SF near the Hyatt Embarcadero. We make that our headquarters. It's in business district but the trolley ends and begins it's route there. Easy to get places.
DTP02
AG
Thanks for all the input so far.

The toughest part I'm trying to work thru right now is the central coast part. I'm looking at some lodging options in Pismo Beach, Shell Beach, Avila Beach, as well as some closer to San Luis Obispo. I'm also intrigued by Morro Bay because it sounds like there is a lot of wildlife, but I'm wondering if the logistics hassle of driving to the beach and traffic and parking make staying in walking distance a requisite.

Also weighing 3 nights in the central coast, with an early Sat morning departure into LA and hitting the ground running on seeing the sights, vs getting into LA Fri night. I'm assuming that I'll be going against traffic into LA for the most part, and at nonpeak times, so that shouldn't be a huge consideration.
AggieEP
I currently live in Monterey, and I'll second all of the current advice which has been given. Point Lobos is a must if you like to hike, it's not strenuous and the coast line is beautiful. If you are up for a slightly more difficult hike with some elevation gain, head down highway 1 a bit further (but still before Big Sur) and go to Garrapata State Park. It's not super well marked from the road, but you'll likely see a bunch of cars parked along the side of the road and that's how I usually know I'm there. Big Sur is beautiful but I don't remember seeing a lot of lodging options when we've been. Maybe that's because I haven't paid attention, but I personally might plan on just staying in Carmel if you find a good place and just driving in and out.

If you venture into Monterey/Pacific Grove to eat, my favorite places are Rosine's which is on Alvarado street downtown and Gianni's Pizza on Lighthouse Ave. (The Calzones are awesome)

If you are into Mediterranean food/Lebanese food there is a restaurant called Dametra Cafe in Carmel (also some cheaper fast food versions owned by the same guy in Monterey and Marina). (You mentioned being adventurous)

YouBet
AG
The few lodging options I've explored in Big Sur itself are astronomically expensive.

Carmel by the Sea has fantastic restaurants. Le Bicycle is awesome. If you head east from Cbts into the hills/mountains you could stay at Carmel Valley Ranch which is a full blown resort.

Carmel Village east of that is in the Santa Lucia Highlands wine region and there are many wine tasting rooms in that village if you like Pinot Noir.
DTP02
AG
Yeah, we stayed at the Bernardus on a couple's trip last time and loved it. Good wine and restaurant too.

We've booked lodging in Carmel by the sea for this trip as we wanted to be in town with the kids.

Hoping to have central coast accommodations and maybe LA too by end of this weekend.
YouBet
AG
DTP02 said:

Yeah, we stayed at the Bernardus on a couple's trip last time and loved it. Good wine and restaurant too.

We've booked lodging in Carmel by the sea for this trip as we wanted to be in town with the kids.

Hoping to have central coast accommodations and maybe LA too by end of this weekend.
We ate there. Good place.
jammer262
LA- we rented an Airbnb in Marina Del Rey. It overlooked the boats and the location couldn't be beat. 5 minutes from Venice and 15 from Santa Monica. We had a blast, went up to Hollywood via Sunset one day, did all the wonderful tourist stuff up there. Did a beach day at Venice, there was only us and the surfers on the beach, it was great. We had the best time and can't wait to go back.

Edit to add Airbnb link https://abnb.me/gCQQXTypXX
Two queens in one room and a king in the master. Owner lives in the building.
WoMD
DTP02 said:

The toughest part I'm trying to work thru right now is the central coast part. I'm looking at some lodging options in Pismo Beach, Shell Beach, Avila Beach, as well as some closer to San Luis Obispo. I'm also intrigued by Morro Bay because it sounds like there is a lot of wildlife, but I'm wondering if the logistics hassle of driving to the beach and traffic and parking make staying in walking distance a requisite.

Also weighing 3 nights in the central coast, with an early Sat morning departure into LA and hitting the ground running on seeing the sights, vs getting into LA Fri night. I'm assuming that I'll be going against traffic into LA for the most part, and at nonpeak times, so that shouldn't be a huge consideration.

Parking in Morro is stupidly easy and traffic getting there is a nonissue. I go there all the time. Just came back from SLO (these students are so damn spoiled) for a job a couple hours ago, and went to Avila beach two days ago and Morro yesterday. Avila is a warmer area with a more touristy vibe, and because of that parking is more of a challenge on weekends. It's beautiful though, and I highly recommend it. Personally I'm very partial to Morro, and to a lesser extend Cayucos, but I like the more peaceful and quiet setting (some read that as boring, which to younger crowds it is). It's cooler and windier at times, but I love walking the beach with my dog. Compare to the beach at SF (where I live) and LA beaches (that I go to a few times a year), some time away from the crowds and stressors of the city is very appealing to me.

Central California coast is my favorite place in the state. Incredibly beautiful and since it's out of the way not many people know about it. Which is part of the appeal. And absolutely perfect weather, no contest the best in the state. I would move there if I could, but for now I'll just keep driving down regularly for work and will love every minute I'm there.

Have fun!
WoMD
Oh, and there's no such thing as "against traffic" in LA. Sometimes traffic patterns fit logic, but often there's traffic for no damn reason at all and you're sitting there hating life. You can do your best to time it, but always plan on drives taking two to three times longer than they should. LA I would absolutely stay within a few miles of where you plan to go for the day. I'm not exaggerating. My last work trip down there I stayed at a place fifteen miles from work driving "against traffic" and one morning it took 45 minutes, the next took an hour and a half. Getting home one day took an hour, the next 30 minutes. Same times day to day, but insanely different traffic patterns for no damn reason. I hate HATE driving anywhere near LA.
Whoop Delecto
AG
HollywoodBQ
AG
WoMD said:

Oh, and there's no such thing as "against traffic" in LA. Sometimes traffic patterns fit logic, but often there's traffic for no damn reason at all and you're sitting there hating life. You can do your best to time it, but always plan on drives taking two to three times longer than they should. LA I would absolutely stay within a few miles of where you plan to go for the day. I'm not exaggerating. My last work trip down there I stayed at a place fifteen miles from work driving "against traffic" and one morning it took 45 minutes, the next took an hour and a half. Getting home one day took an hour, the next 30 minutes. Same times day to day, but insanely different traffic patterns for no damn reason. I hate HATE driving anywhere near LA.
Driving in LA, I always plan for 20mph. Peak hours, or if there's an entertainment even screwing up traffic, it can take longer. Late at night, the freeways are usually wide open which is when you've got to be on the lookout for crazies doing 120mph.

I was in LA two weeks ago and my 40 minute Uber ride took about 1:15. If it's possible, I think the traffic has gotten worse.
WoMD
HollywoodBQ said:

WoMD said:

Driving in LA, I always plan for 20mph. Peak hours, or if there's an entertainment even screwing up traffic, it can take longer. Late at night, the freeways are usually wide open which is when you've got to be on the lookout for crazies doing 120mph.

I was in LA two weeks ago and my 40 minute Uber ride took about 1:15. If it's possible, I think the traffic has gotten worse.

Yeah, every now and then it will surprise you, again for no good reason. I took an Uber from Long Beach to dodger stadium for a 7pm weekday game last year and we went 70mph the entire time. I was beyond shocked. Just was accepting we'd get there late.
WoMD
WhoopRAB said:

http://texags.com/forums/54/topics/3017128

Don't miss the coastal hiking south of Moro Bay at the Oro State Park.

Good choice.
Pahdz
My wife and I along with our 8 year old daughter leave for a similar trip tomorrow. Here is a rough schedule for us, open for all opinions:

Friday/Saturday/Sunday AM - San Francisco

Arrive to SFO around 3, we are staying at the Intercontinental Mark Hopkins. Figure we'll take our daughter to Top of the Mark for dinner Friday night. Saturday is wide open minus meeting my wife's boss for lunch Saturday. Leaning towards go over to Sausalito that afternoon and eating dinner over there. Sunday morning before we pick up our rental car and head out, we need to find a place to watch the USWNT (we're all huge soccer fans)

Sunday afternoon/Monday

Drive down to Monterrey Sunday, figuring to stop at Half Moon Bay for lunch and stop at Santa Cruz. Staying at The Clement in Monterey. Monday try and do the aquarium early, then then start our drive.

Monday Night/Tuesday

Spending Monday night in Cambria Landing, then Tuesday morning planning to do Hearst Castle. After that, I'm trying to convince my girls to do the dune buggy rental at Pismo Beach, and then head on towards Santa Barbara

Tuesday Night/Wednesday

Spending that night at the Kimpton Goodland in Goleta, know nothing really about the Santa Barbara area, so any suggestions for that night and early Wednesday I'm open

Wednesday night through departure Saturday afternoon

Spending these nights at the Kimpton Palomar in Beverley Hills. We bought the VIP passes to Universal Studios for Thursday. I've done LA like 15 years ago when my girlfriend lived there, Figured all Friday we'd do all the touristy Santa Monica stuff, but anything an 8 year old girl might like I'm down for suggestions

Thanks in advance...we haven't planned too much (I don't feel like) and maybe we're doing it completely wrong
Pahdz
Really appreciate the Old SLO BBQ tip...tri tip sandwich was the bomb.
DTP02
AG
WoMD said:

DTP02 said:

Parking in Morro is stupidly easy and traffic getting there is a nonissue. I go there all the time. Just came back from SLO (these students are so damn spoiled) for a job a couple hours ago, and went to Avila beach two days ago and Morro yesterday. Avila is a warmer area with a more touristy vibe, and because of that parking is more of a challenge on weekends. It's beautiful though, and I highly recommend it. Personally I'm very partial to Morro, and to a lesser extend Cayucos, but I like the more peaceful and quiet setting (some read that as boring, which to younger crowds it is). It's cooler and windier at times, but I love walking the beach with my dog. Compare to the beach at SF (where I live) and LA beaches (that I go to a few times a year), some time away from the crowds and stressors of the city is very appealing to me.

Central California coast is my favorite place in the state. Incredibly beautiful and since it's out of the way not many people know about it. Which is part of the appeal. And absolutely perfect weather, no contest the best in the state. I would move there if I could, but for now I'll just keep driving down regularly for work and will love every minute I'm there.

Have fun!

I'm interested in Morro but didn't find a lodging option we liked. I'm happy with our place in Pismo but I am intrigued by Morro, and would be up for canceling the Pismo place if I find a good option in Morro.

It's supposed to be a bit of a wildlife haven. How easy is it to find otters, seals and other wildlife? Do you have any dining or lodging recs there? Other activities there besides walking the beach and walking to the rock?

Any other insight into Morro Bay is appreciated.
Pahdz
Just drove through Pismo today, looked like a cool Beach town that's not touristy but we didn't stop so don't hold me to that. If you do stay there I hear the Sun Buggy rentals are great for riding the dunes.
Whoop Delecto
AG
Jock 07
AG
Not much to add but I'm planning on trying to catch one of these shows looks really cool.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.latimes.com/entertainment/arts/la-et-cm-apollo-11-live-show-pasadena-20190708-story.html%3foutputType=amp

Also, some of the best tri tip I ever ate while living in Lompoc was at the r country market in Los Olivos
DTP02
AG
BSD said:

Muir Woods is an hour hike even if you take it slow. You just need to realize that you know need parking reservations or else you'll have to shuttle in from elsewhere. I like it in the morning before too many people get there. Ive never been in the evening though.

I was on the Muir Woods website trying to book a parking reservation today but I couldn't figure out from the FAQ if it's okay to show up after the window. I'm not sure if I can guess our arrival time within 30 minutes. Do you know what happens if you show after your window, do you lose your spot or do you get the next available or what ?
DannyDuberstein
AG
They are supposedly strict about not letting you in, and given they may be sold out by then, you'd be SOL. My recommendation would be to buy a 2nd backup reservation for a little later to give yourself some options/flexibility. The cost is nominal at $8 a pop. Before we went last year, I bought a 2pm and a 4pm to give ourselves some flex depending how the day went

Also, there is a good chance you will not have cell service when there, so make sure you print or otherwise screen capture your reservation before getting there. Some people have missed their window because they can't get service, and by the time they go back far enough to get it, their time window closed.
DTP02
AG
Thanks for the suggestion and input; I have made multiple reservations. Wasn't sure if they weee going to let me do that.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Good deal. And I'd emphasize again the advice to print/screen capture them beforehand because showing up and being unable to pull up your confirmation via phone seems to be a very common problem, and I can vouch that we did not have service there and it took getting a decent distance from it before we got service again.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.