Maine

2,819 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by HtownAg92
dylan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Any recs on lakes to visit in Maine with recommendations on activities and food? We are also planning to visit Rockland, Boothbay Harbor and Bar Harbor as well so recs there would be helpful as well. I've heard the lakes are great so would like some suggestions.
Potcake
AG
We stayed in Boothbay several summers ago.
Red's Eats, in Wiscasset, always had a line but we weren't able to stop.
In Boothbay, Boathouse Bistro & Tapas was really good. We also rented SUP boards and paddled around the harbor.
lazuras_dc
AG
Bar Harbor was fantastic. Stayed there a few nights last summer. Anything along Main Street would be solid. Bar Harbor Inn has a couple nice restaurants inside. Make sure you stop at Trenton Bridge Lobster Pound on the way in or out of town !

We hiked in Acadia around Eagle Lake and Jordan Pond.
Sunrise on Cadillac mountain is amazing !

When the tide was low we walked over to bar island which had some trails of its own.
dylan
I read that Red's Eats won best lobster roll again. Thanks for the recs.
Lavender Gooms
AG
When we visited Acadia NP, we spent a morning in Bar Harbor for a whale and puffin watching tour. Would recommend that as well. Take Dramamine even if you don't have motion sickness. And get in line early if you'd want an outside seat, which is better IMO for keeping motion sickness at bay. The ride out to see the whales is pretty choppy and we were lucky to end up going on a calm day as they told us.

The tour we did will let you rebook if you don't end up seeing whales. I think it was good for up to 1 year later.
rcaper
Portland !!!!!
rcaper
Potcake
AG
rcaper said:

Portland !!!!!

I wish we would have spent a night or two there.
Harbor area was cool.
90 bull
AG
We just left Maine. Loved Portland. Loved Boothbay Harbor. Acadia was incredible. Bar Harbor felt super touristy to me.
We actually drove up through Nova Scotia to Halifax. The Bay of Fundy coastline in incredible. Actually enjoyed it more than Maine's
Jay@AgsReward.com
Sponsor
AG
Portland. Amazing food. https://www.bonappetit.com/story/portland-maine-city-of-the-year-2018
dylan
Great recommendations. We are going to start in Portland, go to a lake and then Boothbay Harbor? Anyone go to Rockland? How long did the drive take in Nova Scotia? I defined want to go there sometime. Supposedly there's a great Titanic museum there.
90 bull
AG
We stool several days to get to Halifax, so no clue on actually drive time. Peggy's Cove, just down from Halifax, is simply incredible. Similar to the Giant's Causeway. Hopewell Rock on the Bay of Fundy is also amazing
BlueAg2003
AG
Going to Maine tomorrow! Can't wait!
Aggiewes
AG
Spent a few days in Ogunquit a few years ago in July. Just awesome!
dylan
We need to stop there. So many "stops" too little time. We want to see some of the lakes as well. Any suggestions on lakes would be much appreciated.
90 bull
AG
Hopefully the black flies have settled down. Two weeks ago they were rough.
txags92
AG
My sister spent a few days in a house on Moosehead Lake a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it. If you are interested, I can probably get some recommendations from her for you.
Maximus_Meridius
AG
Potcake said:

We stayed in Boothbay several summers ago.
Red's Eats, in Wiscasset, always had a line but we weren't able to stop.
In Boothbay, Boathouse Bistro & Tapas was really good. We also rented SUP boards and paddled around the harbor.

Sprague's Lobster is just across the street from Red's in Wiscasset, and is one of our favorite places to eat. Eating on the dock watching the sun set on the harbor is pretty nice.

There's also a place in Rockland called "Claws." Damn good eating. We ate there 2 or 3 times when we were in Camden last year.
dylan
Black flies? Didn't think about that. I know about the ticks. Thanks for the other recs. We may towards the end head up to Moosehead Lake
dylan
Rockland was quite a find! We really loved this town and so close to everything
army01
AG
Looking at going to Maine with the Missus in October. How is the beer scene in Portland?
90 bull
AG
Very good. A ton of options. We liked Rising Tide and Austin street breweries (which are right next to each other) but there are a lot of them around Portland. Also several distilleries.
dylan
Allagash brewery in Portland is great. We really loved Rockland.
HtownAg92
AG
Aggiewes said:

Spent a few days in Ogunquit a few years ago in July. Just awesome!
We've done three summer trips to Ogunquit. Our favorite little beach town in the U.S.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.