Floating the Frio

3,303 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Diggity
Txmoe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Wife wants to organize a cheaper vacation in August. We thought floating the Frio might be fun but we've never done it. Any advice from those who have made the trip would be most appreciated.
FSGuide
Lat couple times we have floated the Frio we have rented a cabin in Leakey and then used one of the local services to tube. John's river outfitter or Josh's or something like that. There are a lot of cabins an Airbnb's in that area to fit whatever your budget is.
Punked Shank
AG
Buying your own tube from academy and getting an inflator can he much cheaper. Especially if youre going for multiple days. Rather than renting.

one MEEN Ag
AG
If you buy your own tube, be sure to have transportation squared away. Most tubing rental places rent the tube+bus ride for like $15, or the bus ride by itself for like $13.

ladyinmaroon11
AG
We go every year and stay in the Concan area. We usually rent a house, but there are tons of rental options in this area from RV spots to houses with pools that sleep 20+ people. Check out Neal's Lodges, Frio Country Resort, Seven Bluffs, and Frio River Vacation Rentals just to name a few.

We usually bring our own tubes from Academy and have a designated person to drop off and pick up the crew that is floating. But you can also rent tubes and pay for shuttles through Andy's on River Road, Josh's and Neals Lodges too.

Also, Concan is in a dry county so BYOB!
lil99chris
AG
My family would go to Garner State Park/Frio year-after-year when I was growing up (typically July 1-14). We picked up the 'tradition' when my wife and I had children. About 3-4 years ago we stopped going. It seemed like the people tubing got a lot more rowdy and the river had more trash than I would have like to have seen.

I understand having fun, but it seems like the area has become a bit less family-friendly and more geared toward the college/young adult crowd.
ladyinmaroon11
AG
I agree that it has gotten more crowded. We avoid the weekends now and that seems to help reduce the number of college kids and "day visitors." We don't go into Garner, though I know a lot of people do and enjoy it.
ChipFTAC01
AG
lil99chris said:

My family would go to Garner State Park/Frio year-after-year when I was growing up (typically July 1-14). We picked up the 'tradition' when my wife and I had children. About 3-4 years ago we stopped going. It seemed like the people tubing got a lot more rowdy and the river had more trash than I would have like to have seen.

I understand having fun, but it seems like the area has become a bit less family-friendly and more party geared toward the college/young adult crowd.

We started an annual trip with college friends in 2003 staying near Comanche Crossing. We've definitely noticed the shift over the last 6-7 years. Granted we were the idiots 15 years ago but there's a ton more young and old idiots now. The scene at the Third Crossing is packed and there used to maybe be a family or two just splashing around there. At the next couple of crossings people will set up all day with tents and canopies and stereos.
Punked Shank
AG
Was there two weekends ago. The trash is sad to see and oir group (older twenties to 50s) do our part to pack out more off the river than we bring. People suck.
ChipFTAC01
AG
This too. A lot more trash that there used to be. We always end up with at least an extra bag more than we produce.
ChipFTAC01
AG
That being said, I'm headed that way tomorrow and couldn't be more excited.
Punked Shank
AG
Its still an absolute blast. The flow was great. Have fun and wish we were still there
GigEmAgs15
AG
The Frio is amazing -- more rapids than the Comal, so it's a bit more thrilling of float.
ChipFTAC01
AG
Good float this weekend. The water was perfect. Flow was great and beer was cold.

We've taken in the last few years to not getting into the river until close to 3pm. I think that helps cut down on some of the traffic/idiots. The scene on Saturday up at their third crossing was a madhouse.
aggiegal99
We're looking at going next summer (2020) and staying at an RV park along with another family. I'm having a hard time finding a place that will take a 4 night reservation. Any suggestions of an RV park on the river that will book for next summer?
(removed:10EA24-2)
My daughter is there with her best friend right now- the friend's family has a house on the Frio - such a blast every year. I'm jealous- wish we were there now.
If they still do the dances at the state park , don't miss it - such a blast ! One of my favorite places in a Texas.
Diggity
AG
We were there for the holiday weekend and it was crowded but people behaved fine for the most part. Never worried about my kids hearing it seeing anything too crazy.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.