UNICO Resort Cancun

2,384 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Z100
Strategy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone been? Was referred to me over Excellence. Taking the wife over the 4th. Would love any recommendations!!
JMac03
AG
I have heard nothing but fabulous things from travelers and travel agents alike. Wonderful service, food, etc. I am going this fall. Excellence is also on the top of my list, but I will be visiting Unico first.

I do know you can get massages, some excursions and other items with their unlimited resort credit, only paying a 25% service fee.
Strategy
AG
Thanks JMAC. You da man!
JMac03
AG
RebelgentlemenE2 said:

Thanks JMAC. You da man!
Thanks! Add a WO in front of that man
breezecustomtravel
AG
My new favorite resort in Cancun!
Just had clients return from there for their 20th Anniversary and they could not stop talking about it and how wonderful the staff, food, and rooms were.

I love the Secrets brand and always thought they couldn't be topped but UNICO has done it.
Lauren K '07
www.breezecustomtravel.com
@breezecustomtravel
Tabasco
AG
Following. If people are liking it more than Excellence Playa Mujeres, I am definitely looking into it.
Tabasco
AG
And UNICO sounds like some sort of international charity organization. Does that mean we can write off the trip on our taxes?

10K donation- UNICO
OjoDelMono77
AG
Wife and I went to UNICO for our first wedding anniversary in April, having been to other numerous AI resorts.

Beautiful resort, better than average food, terrible, impersonal customer service. Our hostess was worthless. Day one I told her the app wasn't working for room requests, room service, etc. Her response, "Hmm." Instead of her owning the problem and finding a solution, I took 30 minutes out of my trip on the phone with the hotel IT department getting the issue fixed. Frustrating. 2 of the days our hostess was completely unreachable. Just awful.

Poolside service was spotty at best, I regularly moved our umbrella and fetched new towels, even went to the bar to get our own drinks. We'd often go an hour without anyone stopping by to ask if we needed anything. Disappointing. Beach is unusable. Tons of stinky seaweed.

The hotel did nothing to help us memorialize our occasion. Nothing. We mentioned it during booking, pre arrival, when we made dinner reservations (side note: you have to make reservations if you want to eat at a reasonable hour. The reservations are made thru open table, and are clearly being abused). We would have been happy with just flowers in the room or a bottle of champagne, but they did nothing. So impersonal.

The next to the last day I took to their Facebook page (they post to social media multiple times daily) , and was finally able to get some attention. After that, the hotel made a decent attempt to correct what was an "oversight" but the trip was already a disappointment in our books.

If your budget is $500+ a night, you can do better than UNICO.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Dam.
Ezra Brooks
AG
We went in April 2017, about 6 weeks after they opened.

It was my first trip to Mexico. I had been to Excellence Punta Cana in DR.

I was over the top impressed and look forward to going back.

The food was amazing. Service was acceptable, not in your face, though we didn't see our host too much.

If you want to be on the beach, it may not be the best place as there is a lot of sea weed, but for us the pools were great.
strohag
AG
Just got back from Excellence Playa Mujeres. First trip there. I'll be back. Best all inclusive I've been to.

We had been interested in UNICO but after above review I'll give it sometime before we head there. No dinner reservations required at EPM unless you are doing hibachi one night.
Z100
AG
RebelGent - trip report? Headed to Unico in next couple weeks. TIA.
rondis23
AG
Went to Finest Playa Mujeres...Excellence family friendly property next door and was completely blown away! Amazing food, and the best staff in the world! Ive heard the same about Excellence next door.
Strategy
AG
TRIP REPORT: Overall Excellent

There is a lot to type so I am going to bullet point this for effectiveness:

-Take a wad of $1's and $5's for tipping. I took $200. Only tipped about $120 or $20 per day. It makes excellent service spectacular.
-Take the shuttle $35 per person round trip from the airport to the resort. They will have beer to drink on the way in. It is about an hour and some change.
-There are 3-4 pools with escalating activity. Party pool to serene. On your way to breakfast in the morning place your towels where you want to lounge all day.
-There are 3 restaurants: Italian, Steakhouse, and Mexican for evening dining options. They are good in that order. Make a reservation if you can...otherwise you shouldn't have a problem walking up.
-The buffet for breakfast and lunch is the tits. There is a smorgasbord of cerviche and anything you can imagine for breakfast...including some of the freshest fruit you have ever tasted. I had salmon toast For lunch the sushi is OUTSTANDING. Go order all the sashimi you want or rolls. It is in the back right of the building.
-We did not too any of the excursions. Spoke with a couple from Cali who did the snorkeling in Cozomel. Have one of best natural coral reefs in the world. Told me if that is ALL he got to do the rest of the trip it was well worth it. It was literally like Planet Earth. He said he walked next door to the neighboring resort (Renaissance) I believe where the instructors were giving the initial scuba lessons. Saved some money going direct than through hotel. Regardless DO IT. I'd would loved to have gone...but didn't have the time.
-SPA was fantastic. I got the sports massage when we did our couples massage and was sore for a week after. Your lady will love all it has to offer. Treat her. It will make her trip.
-GYM is very nice, new and super clean.
-We rode in with a couple that had been there before and they were staying for another 10 days and going to take a trip to the neighboring town of Tulum. You can go drink/eat/explore/post up on the beach for cheap. Sounded like something worth considering for sure.
-The beach is not the best...so beware and not disappointed.
-Have them make a bath for you every night...your lady will like it and order turn-down service.
-SAFTEY: Felt very safe and would have gone exploring if I had time Met multiple Americans/Canadians with vacations homes in Cancun. It is safe...with most of the violence being in the city...not in the resort area (an hour south). Don't do anything stupid like walk down a dark street and you will be fine.

HOPE this helps!!

Z100
AG
Thanks for the details Rebel. We depart in the morning for Unico.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.