Help me plan my family summer vacation, please

1,537 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by txags92
DTP02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My wife and I had been tentatively planning a family trip to Boston, Bar Harbor, and Quebec City (flying into Boston, home from QC) for 10 days in late July, but the Bar Harbor stay with friends has fallen thru and we are thinking of scrapping that whole idea and doing something completely different. We are behind the 8 ball on planning, because of, well, life.

Family likes NYC as an alternative but I'm not sold on it (I'm okay with big city as part of the vacation, but I have to have a mix of nature) and want to go the opposite direction. I need a good plan to sell my family on it.

The kids (teenage boys) have never been west of NM and CO. I'm considering a driving vacation west or Northwest from the promised land, either heading to CA, like Santa Barbara with stops along the way, or heading up to Yellowstone and Rocky Mountain National Park.

I could probably stretch my vacation to 11 days, and might do that because there would be a lot of car time. I'm afraid I'm being overly ambitious, but I only have so many of these vacations left with my kids.

We could fly, but besides the additional expense, we would be bypassing a lot of stuff I want to see. To me the hardest part of driving is the first 12-15 hours or so getting thru either TX and NM, or getting thru TX and OK, which are all areas we've covered before.

If heading west, I'm thinking I want to hit, either there or back, Zion and/or Bryce, Grand Canyon, Vegas, Santa Barbara (not sold on SB necessarily, but want a CA beach scene that is a little less big city and crowded), and maybe up to Big Sur (possible Hearst Castle stop but not sure if worth it).

If heading NW, probably would go up the east side of the Rockies either there or back, or maybe both, because we've done SW Colorado fairly often and will be skiiing in Pagosa this winter, and then over to Rocky Mountain National Park and then Yellowstone. Might come back thru Ouray because I want to fit in some family four-wheeling and I know that area better and don't know the options on the other side of the mountains. I actually need some additional stops on this itinerary, unlike the other option where I'm probably including too much.

I'm usually a planner for vacations, so having a long family vacation completely unplanned has me a little anxious. I'm hoping someone with too much time on their hands can be my vacation hero.

Edited to add: wow that's a lot of text, sorry for the long post and extraneous info, that probably is a sign I'm a little anxious about this.
nosoupforyou
AG
Oh man.. great stuff! Options I know and would be happy to help with include:

- Utah - I'm headed out Saturday for 11 days all though them in an RV

- Glacier National Park, Montana - do this!

- Banff area in Canada.. if you have passports, this is great

Jackson Hole/Grand Tetons - another great one
Wicked Good Ag
I would add the Pacific Northwest to the above ideas. Oregon Washington Idaho would be great with a ferry into Canada and Vancouver
DTP02
AG
nosoupforyou said:

Oh man.. great stuff! Options I know and would be happy to help with include:

- Utah - I'm headed out Saturday for 11 days all though them in an RV

- Glacier National Park, Montana - do this!

- Banff area in Canada.. if you have passports, this is great

Jackson Hole/Grand Tetons - another great one

I've always wanted to do Zion and Bryce, the Arches too, but I don't know if I can do them justice on a west coast road trip like I'm envisioning. I've also heard that the heat of summer is the worst time to go there. What are your thoughts on one overnight in the general southern Utah area, and parts of the days before and after? How would you spend it?
nosoupforyou
AG
Agree on the temp issues with Utah- It is snowy in Utah for spring break and too hot in July That's why we're going practically the day after school ends- leaving on Saturday

Just north of there is Jackson Hole, Wyoming If you're wanting that area, work your way from Urah to Colorado, and up to Jackson hole Maybe? Or skip Utah and fly to Denver and drive or to Jackson

But if you wanted to stay in one region, look at glacier national Park Montana - we went in July last year and it was fine temperatures.. especially in Waterton NP just on the Canadian border- get passports for that though
dcbowers
AG
A few thoughts:

1) Why scrap the whole Boston/Bar Harbor/ Quebec City trip? Just find another place to stay in Bar Harbor?

2) Grand Tetons/Yellowstone would be a spectacular experience. If that is too far, consider Durango/Ouray/Teluride.

3) San Francisco/Northern California

Good luck!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
ToddyHill
AG
I personally would not ditch the trip to Boston/Quebec City.

OK, my background...I'm from Connecticut, my wife is from Boston. Nothing better than New England in the summer!

Start in Boston, do the things tourists do in Boston. Check out Faneuil Hall. Walk the Freedom Trail (which includes the Old North Church). Dine on Italian Food in the North end. Go to the New England Aquarium.

Eat steamed lobster with clarified butter, then some lobster rolls, and also lobster chowder. Nothing better.

Head south to Hyannis and take the Hi Speed Ferry to Nantucket (or stay in Cape Cod, or go to Martha's Vinyard). Some of the best food you'll ever enjoy. The Whaling Museum is a must see. Rent some bikes and explore the island.

If the islands aren't your desire, head to Newport, RI and take in a mansion or two. Hard to believe these once were summer cottages to the filthy stinkin rich.

Head back to Boston, head west and pick up Route 7 and meander north through Vermont on your way to Canada. Way too many places to see on the way. Don't be surprised if you can't understand what the locals are saying. It's hard to explain, one just has to experience it.

Quebec City is just too cool. My recollection of the area (it's been many years since I've been), is that we had a tough time getting around because no one spoke English.

I admit, I'm biased.
DTP02
AG
We actually did the Boston to Bar Harbor to QC trip two summers ago without the kids. QC is a gem hardly anyone ever talks about.
nosoupforyou
AG
I'm not planning it just yet but would be grateful if you shared an itinerary of places to see for this - definitely will add it to my list for a future vacation.. ToddyHill gave a great plan just above, so any additional detiails/places, would be really cool to see
Marauder Blue 6
AG
From Texas I'd do something like this...ICBM silo-Badlands NP-Mt Rushmore-Crazy Horse Monument-Devil's Tower-Cody, WY-Beartooth Hwy-Yellowstone NP-Grand Teton NP-Rocky Mountain NP-Colorado Springs-back to TX.
txags92
AG
We are going to be in Bar Harbor (via Boston) for a week in late July. Take a look on VRBO and Airbnb...tons of places for rent up there, though they are probably booking up fast at this point. Look over around Blue Hill, Stonington, Brooklin area. Lots of cool things to see and do without trying to be square in the middle of Acadia at Bar Harbor.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.