Damn summer rental car prices

2,024 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by one MEEN Ag
wangus12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I typically drive up to CO when I go so I don't have to rent a vehicle, but I'm taking a quick trip up there in the middle of July for a friend's wedding so I'm flying. I'll be there less than 36 hours all told, but I was gonna grab a rental car and go hit Mt. Evans the day I leave. $260 bucks for the tiniest car they have at the airport for 1.5 days is pretty nuts.
Marauder Blue 6
AG
Supply, demand, and uninformed consumers. The airport is the worst place to rent a car. Never go direct either. Try Costco, Orbitz, Travelocity, etc at an off-airport agency.
jammer262
Denver always has the highest rates. I use Silvercar there, at least you get a nice car for the $$$.
histag10
AG
Also try dealerships. I did nit know this until recently, but some rent cars out.
txags92
AG
Can you take a train or Uber somewhere and rent from an off-airport location? I know for our trip to Boston this summer, I found it was much cheaper to rent from Avis at a location near our hotel and return it to the airport at the end of the trip instead of renting from the airport location. That saves us the cost of parking the car at the hotel the 1st night (hotels near the freedom trail seem to uniformly charge $50/night for parking) and the cost of the 1st day's rental. Since we are coming in Friday night, we will just take an uber or a taxi to the hotel and then rent the car the next day.
Mustang1
AG
I took the train from airport to downtown Denver last summer & rented at a local Hertz location down there.
aggiedata
AG
I had luck with Hotwire out of Denver. San Diego in June is less than normal. Depends on market.

lil99chris
AG
Get away from the airport and your price will be more favorable.
CDub06
AG
This was an option I was was given for my trip from Bozeman to Jackson Hole next week.

Tree Hugger
AG
I have paid over $400 for a full size truck at the Midland airport, I typically don't have them more than 12 hours.
EMY92
AG
I'm currently in Ireland, my 4 door decent car is $8/day.
txags92
AG
I rented a car in Tulsa for about 2 days a couple of years ago. Turned it back in and the clerk said we will email you a receipt, our system isn't working right now. Never got a recent...and my credit card was never charged for the rental.
EMY92
AG
You don't get the fear factor when driving in Tulsa that you get on the backroads in Ireland. The adrenaline rush is worth the $8.
txags92
AG
The "fear factor" on my Tulsa trips was always going back through TSA and watching them swab my backpack after spending a couple of days at the Army Ammunition Plant in McAlester.
62strat
AG
wangus12 said:

but I'm taking a quick trip up there in the middle of July for a friend's wedding so I'm flying.
Your friend's and about 10k other Colorado July weddings. That's a lot of people needing rental cars. It ain't rocket science, and they don't rent for half days.

As mentioned, take the rail and rent from non-airport locations, or do a mountain shuttle.
GrayMatter
AG

Did a quick search and found $111-$126 (economy-full size) for 2 day rental from Denver Downtown Avis through Costco.
The conversations will be uncomfortable, but we all have to get comfortable with being uncomfortable for progress to be made.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Damn, they proud of that Malibu aint they.
jammer262
Audi A4 is $341, July 12 - 14. That's the all in price. They pass tolls though, car seats are free, and they car you $10, plus the cost of fuel when you are done. Silvercar is the best deal in Denver.
malenurse
AG
txags92 said:

Can you take a train or Uber somewhere and rent from an off-airport location? I know for our trip to Boston this summer, I found it was much cheaper to rent from Avis at a location near our hotel and return it to the airport at the end of the trip instead of renting from the airport location. That saves us the cost of parking the car at the hotel the 1st night (hotels near the freedom trail seem to uniformly charge $50/night for parking) and the cost of the 1st day's rental. Since we are coming in Friday night, we will just take an uber or a taxi to the hotel and then rent the car the next day.
I don't know your complete plans, but there is hardly any reason to rent a car in Boston.
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But, it's still on the list.
txags92
AG
malenurse said:

txags92 said:

I don't know your complete plans, but there is hardly any reason to rent a car in Boston.
We are flying in Friday night, spending a half day there, then driving to Bar Harbor in Maine for the rest of the week.
malenurse
AG
txags92 said:

malenurse said:

txags92 said:

We are flying in Friday night, spending a half day there, then driving to Bar Harbor in Maine for the rest of the week.
That's a good reason.
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But, it's still on the list.
NWE
AG
Hotwire routinely has the lowest rates. I always use them. Since they're opaque, you don't know which company you're getting. But that doesn't really matter. I'll take the savings any day.
The Lost
If you're doing wedding in the city and take the train, you can also look at zip car and things like that which can be reasonable for a day
FrontPorchAg
Marauder Blue 6 said:

Supply, demand, and uninformed consumers. The airport is the worst place to rent a car. Never go direct either. Try Costco, Orbitz, Travelocity, etc at an off-airport agency.
Not always true but more times than not.
All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others
one MEEN Ag
AG
'Day of' hotwire rates are incredibly cheap. You've just got to have the stomach to purposefully not pay for that in advance.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.