Can I take alcohol on an international flight?

2,442 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by DiskoTroop
kevmiller
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Specifically two 10pk of the 50Ml plastic whisky bottles to Mexico ?

TIA
Cheers
HollywoodBQ
AG
You can carry on alcohol purchased in duty free but you can't open it in flight.

In your checked luggage you can usually bring up to 2.25L or so depending on the country. I don't know what Mexico's limits are.
Jock 07
AG
Can't open legally on the plane
Yesterday
AG
We did this on our trip to Cancun two years ago. Flight attendant noticed it before we landed and told us we weren't allowed to drink because like a bar tender they're supposed to keep track of drinks served to customers. Never said it was illegal. That was it. So I guess he more discreet.
kevmiller
Yeah I'm not talking about consuming on plane.
Just keeping it in carryon or checked luggage till we get there
Yesterday
AG
kevmiller said:

Yeah I'm not talking about consuming on plane.
Just keeping it in carryon or checked luggage till we get there

Of course. What kind of degenerate brings free booze on to a flight?
SkiMo
AG
Curious as to why you wanna bring small bottles but not use them on the plane?
Kurt Gowdy
AG
histag10
AG
03ki11erAG said:

We did this on our trip to Cancun two years ago. Flight attendant noticed it before we landed and told us we weren't allowed to drink because like a bar tender they're supposed to keep track of drinks served to customers. Never said it was illegal. That was it. So I guess he more discreet.

We tried this once. We were told it is illegal, and that if caught, both the airline and us could incur up to a $10,000 fine from the FAA
Vernada
AG
that's why you get smashed BEFORE boarding.
kevmiller
SkiMo said:

Party favors
lazuras_dc
AG
Is this only international? We've taken the little bottles of liquor on our flights and drank on domestic flights without issue.
histag10
AG
SkiMo said:

Make a mixed drink in the terminal before boarding...
Yesterday
AG
histag10 said:

03ki11erAG said:

We tried this once. We were told it is illegal, and that if caught, both the airline and us could incur up to a $10,000 fine from the FAA

Just looked it up and yes it's illegal. Couldn't find anyone prosecuted for it so I imagine it's one of those Jay Walking laws.
V8Aggie
AG
Do it all the time in the states and internationally. Place the bottles on their own zip lock and throw on the X-ray machine. Just be discreet about pouring it on the plane and don't be a drunken sloot.
Seven Costanza
AG
https://thepointsguy.com/2017/09/illegal-drink-own-alcohol-airplane/

This answers all of your questions.

Quote:

121.575 Alcoholic beverages.

(a) No person may drink any alcoholic beverage aboard an aircraft unless the certificate holder operating the aircraft has served that beverage to him.

Quote:

In fact, according to the TSA
Quote:

Travelers may carry as many 3.4 ounce bottles of liquid (mini bottles of liquor are 1.7 ounces) that fit comfortably in one, quart sized, clear plastic, zip-top bag. Comfortable means that the bag will seal without busting at the seams. One bag is permitted per passenger.

And apparently you can drink your own alcohol on JetBlue if you present it to the flight attendant and let them serve it to you.
chickencoupe16
AG
03ki11erAG said:

Wife and I also got our wrists slapped in a Southwest flight. Weren't told that out was illegal, just not allowed. We assumed it was a company policy. I've done it multiple times since, just been more discreet about.
Oak Forest Ag
AG
Travel Tip for the Day:

If you have access to one of the airport lounges, you can order a drink or two at the bar, then transfer it to a disposable coffee cup with lid. Then just board the plane with your "coffee" in hand.

Discretion is the key!
double aught
AG
Though I appreciate your love for alcohol, that move saves no money and is probably more expensive. Might as well just buy your drinks on the plane.

As mentioned before, bringing the little bottles from home is where it's at.

Edit: Oops, reading your post again, you said lounge (with complimentary drinks presumably) not bar. Well played!
SweaterVest
AG
I always carry on the same liquor that the airline serves so that if they do notice me pouring it, maybe they'll assume another flight attendant gave it to me. United serves Buffalo Trace so that's what I carry on.

Like someone else said- If you want a cocktail just mix it in a soda or juice bottle before getting on and ask for a cup of ice from then FA.
Jock 07
AG
The premixed old fashioned that United is selling now isn't half bad, for a premixed drink.
Texan_Aggie
AG
SkiMo said:

They age better in the plastic. The ultimate small batch bourbon.
DiskoTroop
Experienced this last week. Wrist slap on a southwest flight over a shooter bottle of rum I mixed into my coke they served me.

Just don't get caught. Still not sure it's "really" a problem. Just keep the empty bottles in your carry on bag and don't get caught. No one the wiser.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.