Driving the Overseas Highway to Key West

1,363 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by DallasAggies01
TXAG 05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone done this? Always wanted to rent a car and do this and stay in he keys a couple days. Ay advice?
Potcake
AG
We've done it twice. First time stayed in South Beach a couple nights and then drove down. We spent the night on Long Key, I think, and rented a pontoon boat for four hours an puttered around the bay. It was kind of cool to go for a run on the old unused bridge. Then went on to KW.

Second time was after the Miami game disaster. We drove straight down.
Fall92
AG
We've done it several times and have several recs. Text me amigo.
"I did nothing. I did absolutely nothing, and it was everything that I thought it could be."
jammer262
Yep did it last December. Flew into Ft Lauderdale, rented an Audi A5 convertible from Silvercar. It was a nice drive. It's slower than you think, expect 45-50 mph most the way. Stopped at the Everglades on the way back, saw a ton of gators. Overall, we would do again.
Burnsey
AG
My FIL has a place and boat in the middle keys, so we go there every summer. We fly into FTL and rent a car. We will make the trip to Key West once a trip. Like was mentioned earlier, you're usually driving at 40-50 mph, so don't be in a hurry. There are a ton of great beaches and restaurants. We like to spend an afternoon or day at a reef and/or sandbar. A day in Key West shopping. Maybe a day sport fishing. We've also visited the Turtle Hospital and swam in the Aquarium in Marathon. I highly recommend both. US dollars are accepted, English is spoken, it's a short flight, and you're protected by the Constitution. So yeah, great place to go for a vacation.
Potcake
AG
Why would US dollars not be accepted or English be the primary language, in the US?
ToddyHill
AG
This past March, we flew to Miami and drove down to Key West for my nephew's wedding. I was expecting more views of the ocean/keys. You definitely get that when you cross the bridges, but most of the drive is on land. Candidly, my expectations weren't met and I seriously doubt I'll ever go to the Keys again. That said, I would definitely recommend it as you may love it.
HollywoodBQ
AG
Back in 2000 or so, I had some time to burn one afternoon when I finished up work early in Coral Gables. I decided I would drive to Key West and back. I had done no research and just had a rental car map.

So... after about 2+ hours of driving at less than 50 mph, I got as far as Marathon. Since it was getting dark and I still had a ways to go, I turned back.

I had dinner at the Outback Steakhouse in Islamorada and then headed back to my hotel in Miami.
I still haven't made it to Key West but, I'm due for a work trip to Miami in August.
DallasAggies01
AG
My wife and I enjoy the drive. From FLL to Key West expect a 3-4 hour drive without stopping much at all. There are plenty of great restaurants on the drive and other attractions. As said above about 1/2 of the drive is over land especially in the early keys. It gets more spread out the closer you get to Key West. Great views and places along the way to stop and even fish off the bridges.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.