Turks & Caicos

1,652 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by nosoupforyou
FlyFish95
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Looking to schedule a family vacation this summer. Thouhgts? I assume late May/early June is best to avoid hurricane season.
maroon10
AG
We stayed at Alexandra resort back in 2016 before it was an AI. We enjoyed Turks, very peaceful. We rented a car, explored the island, loved Taylor Bay. I think quite a bit has changed since then as I think Taylor Bay is only accessible by boat now. Groceries are expensive though, so just be mindful of that if you want an affordable vacation. We checked a bag and packed snacks and liquor. Have fun!
ta ta toothy
AG
I took my daughters there four years ago when they were 9 and 11yrs old. We stayed at the Beaches resort and had a great time. We left the resort a couple of times via cab but if I were to go back and planned on exploring the island I definitely would rent a car. I was skeptical of the Beaches resort going into it but I have to say for a single dad trying to entertain my two daughters that the resort was perfect for their ages at the time. We usually don't like to repeat our summer vacations but we would do that one again for sure.
breezecustomtravel
AG
Beaches Turks & Caicos is the flagship family all-inclusive resort and it's the most booked property at my agency and has the most return bookings.

I have 2 client families going this summer and can't wait to for them to experience it.

If you're not really into all-inclusive I've heard great things about Grace Bay Club and The Shore Club Resort.
Lauren K '07
www.breezecustomtravel.com
@breezecustomtravel
KW02
AG
Went last year but with no kids though. Grace Bay is truly one of the top beaches in the world. We stayed at The Sands
The pool area there there is not that great but we didn't spend one minute at the pool. You do need to visit the other beaches while there. You can still access Taylor and Sapodilla Bays by car and walking. Food is expensive but somewhat expected there. We really liked it and would return.
Texas Ag Mom
We are leaving in 2 weeks on our first visit there. We rented an ocean front condo on Grace Bay beach. Would love any bar, restaurant, don't miss to do things.
KW02
AG
Where are you staying? Are you getting a car? Here is a list of suggestions:

1. Go to the grocery store when you get there and pick up any food items that you want but be warned that it is expensive. Go to Turks Head Brewery and pick up local beer if you want to get it cheaper than at Grocery Store (they actually sell the beer at the water store in the front of Turks Head). Turks Head beer is about $35-40 a case v. $63 (Coors) to $70 (Corona).

2. We rented a Kayak at Chalk Sound and did some kayaking there. It was nice but have to go when it is not too windy. We rented our kayak at Las Brisas and also had a very good lunch there.

3. Also in the area of Chalk Sound are Sapodilla Bay Beach and Taylor Bay Beach which are very nice beaches and off the hustle and bustle of Gracy Bay. It was a nice trip over for a 1/2 day getaway. At the entrance to Sapodilla there are paths to climb the hill opposite the entrance to get some great views from higher up.

4. Place to eat: Covovan (Upscale food truck) and Coco Bistro (need reservations) both of which were great. Also had a good dinners at Bay Bistro and Caicos Cafe. Lots of people eat at Da Conch Shack for the views and the food is not bad there either. Lunch at Turks Kebab was good as well and was the least expensive meal we had the entire trip. We ate breakfast at Shay Cafe and Caicos Bakery. Depending on what the place you are staying offers, we had bikes that we road to lunch and breakfast every morning. We did not do much bar scene while there.

5. We did an excursion with Caicos Dream Tours (1/2 day) that was a snorkel and stop at Half Moon Bay that was $100 per person. The snorkel was not that great but the trip to Half Moon Bay was worth it. We only stayed there about an hour and would have liked to stay longer. Looks like you can get some private charters or a water taxi there for less and spend more time there.

Let me know if you have any other questions. Probably one of the tops for beach and water color that I have been to in the Caribbean.

Texas Ag Mom
Thanks! Yes we are renting a car & we are staying at Coral Gardens. We love to get out & explore on our own. Love to check out hole in the wall places to eat. We don't do much "fine dining". I know prices are high so thanks for any bargain tips.
KW02
AG
As for other hole in the wall of cost friendly spots, Chinson's is pretty good and reasonable. I have heard Sweet T's is good but they only serve fried chicken and fries and it is not a place to sit down and eat. You should also go check out Fish Fry for lots of local places to eat and music. It is on Thursday evenings but go early so you can get parking close by on the street.
96AgGrad
AG
Been there twice with the family. We were on a budget, but we enjoyed the Royal West Indies both times as a great bang-for-the buck resort on Grace Bay.
Aggie85-Mom11
AG
Seven Stars Resort

The Best Value out there.
Right next to the grocery store.
Other restaurants just down the street - Can walk to - Safe & Easy
Stayed a week last summer.
nosoupforyou
AG
Did you go yet? Details? Favorite things you did?
nosoupforyou
AG
How was it? Can you share your itinerary, things you liked or didn't think were worth it?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.