Denver recommendations -- Red Rocks concert

1,840 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Matsui
Old School Brother
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Wife and I going to a concert at Red Rocks later this summer on a Sunday night. Is it best to stay in downtown Denver and take one of the shuttles to Red Rocks?
SkiMo
AG
Old School Brother said:

Wife and I going to a concert at Red Rocks later this summer on a Sunday night. Is it best to stay in downtown Denver and take one of the shuttles to Red Rocks?
In my opinion, 100% yes.

bustoshow.org

$25 each round trip

Bring a little cooler that you don't mind throwing away. Tailgate in the parking lot a little before then head in. If you have reserved seats then it's not an issue but the GA fills up fast...especially in the front section.
breezecustomtravel
AG
Agree to all of the above!

We're going for the second time in July and really considering the shuttle option, Bus to Show is looking like our best bet and I'm glad someone can confirm that it is good.

Tailgating is a must at Red Rocks also! We had so much fun meeting new people and hanging out before the show.
Lauren K '07
www.breezecustomtravel.com
@breezecustomtravel
SkiMo
AG
breezecustomtravel said:

We're going for the second time in July and really considering the shuttle option, Bus to Show is looking like our best bet and I'm glad someone can confirm that it is good.

Tailgating is a must at Red Rocks also! We had so much fun meeting new people and hanging out before the show.
Well...it kind of depends on what your definition of good is. When I lived in Denver this is what I used. They would pick us up at Cheba Hut downtown. Don't be late! Then it was a simple school bus. So no a/c. Windows down. You could even drink beer on the bus. I remember the guy said before we took off "If you're gonna enjoy your weed please be a good neighbor and roll down the window". Haha! That's my definition of good but maybe not others.

And who knows...been quite a few years since I used it but figure it's the same.

Make sure to not diddle-daddle around after and get to your bus because they will leave. And don't expect to leave anything on the bus because it might not be the same one taking you home.

But most importantly....simply enjoy the whole experience. Red Rocks is amazing!

The Lost
If you doubt you'll be sober at the end yes, otherwise parkings free and not bad to deal with.

Uber/lyft will be way more $$$/not convenient.
Old School Brother
breezecustomtravel said:

Who you seeing in July? We'll be at the Avett Brothers show on Sunday, 7/7.
breezecustomtravel
AG
We actually contemplated Avett Brothers and also Turnpike Troubadours in June but decided on Cody Jinks on July 13. It worked out the best for our group. There were so many good concerts to choose from this year.

We are also thinking about going in Sept for Tyler Childers if we can make it work out.
Lauren K '07
@breezecustomtravel
AgOutsideAustin
AG
Go to Fitz and the Tantrums in June.
HollywoodBQ
AG
When I went to Red Rocks, I drove. Parking was easy and the amount of Mary Jane in the parking lot was - high.

If you're a flatlander who just flew up from Texas, be physically prepared for hiking uphill and downhill at that altitude/terrain.

Red Rocks is the best concert venue ever. Enjoy!
Old School Brother
breezecustomtravel said:

We actually contemplated Avett Brothers and also Turnpike Troubadours in June but decided on Cody Jinks on July 13. It worked out the best for our group. There were so many good concerts to choose from this year.

We are also thinking about going in Sept for Tyler Childers if we can make it work out.
Those are all great shows. I hadn't seen that Tyler Childers is playing there in September. We also have tickets to the Jason Isbell show there in September, but was probably planning to sell those. I bought them before the Avett Brothers tickets went on sale. I've seen both of them plenty of times, but I always said that Avett Brothers was my dream show at Red Rocks.
SkiMo
AG
Old School Brother said:

breezecustomtravel said:

Those are all great shows. I hadn't seen that Tyler Childers is playing there in September. We also have tickets to the Jason Isbell show there in September, but was probably planning to sell those. I bought them before the Avett Brothers tickets went on sale. I've seen both of them plenty of times, but I always said that Avett Brothers was my dream show at Red Rocks.
I've seen Avett Bros many times at Red Rocks....it's a classic show and a must see there, in my opinion. I've never seen Jason Isbell but pumped to see him this summer. Got tickets to his show here in SLC. There is a really cool small venue here called Red Butte Garden Amphitheater. I highly recommend seeing a show there if any of you are ever in town in the summer. Bonus is you can bring in your own cooler for a picnic including beer/wine/liquor. Not many places like it with big names coming through especially.
Old School Brother
breezecustomtravel said:

Bump. Here in Denver, going to the Avett Bros show tomorrow night.
Let us know how the Cody Jinks show ends up being. I know Cody well, and my friend is opening for him that night, apparently. I would've gone If we weren't already out here a week before.
Shane431
AG
Uber/Lyft there. Take taxi back. They have a taxi line. We went last month. Cool place! Don't let them drop you off at the bottom unless you want some exercise! It's only 24 stories to the top!
breezecustomtravel
AG
Is your friend Mark Chesnutt?? At least that's who's listed as opening for Cody

How was Avett Brothers? I saw a few Instagram stories and they looked great, as per usual at Red Rocks.

We fly up in a few days...will let you know how it goes.
Lauren K '07
@breezecustomtravel
Old School Brother
Haha, no, I don't know Mark chesnutt. My friend is a guy named Tom mcelvain who has been tight with Cody for years and has co-written a couple of his songs. I used to watch Cody and Tom play song swaps in bars and restaurants years ago when there were 5 people there.
I know that Tom and his wife will be at the show and backstage. The story that he's "opening" is from his wife, which could mean that he's playing at a bar down the road on the same day... LOL. I would say it's at least likely that Tom gets invited on stage to sing one song with Cody.
Avett brothers were awesome. It was storming in Denver on Sunday night, so the lightning show behind the stage was an added bonus. I got to see a couple of songs live that are some of my favorites and that they don't play all that often.
Have fun!
breezecustomtravel
AG
We returned yesterday from Denver and it was a great trip again to Colorado and Red Rocks!

Red Rocks Amphitheater did not disappoint again and we were already talking about when we could go back, possibly even this year. Paul Cauthen and Mark Chesnutt opened and they were both great. Cody Jinks was awesome; it was my first time to see him live but have listened to his music for a while now. It's so hard to see him when he comes to TX because of his following - he always sells out in minutes wherever he's playing.

There was a thunderstorm that rolled through just about the time that they opened the doors to get in and so they stopped letting people in for about 30 minutes because of lightning. So, we waited in the pouring rain in line to get in for a while. That would be the only negative, but we made the most of it and even though we were soaking wet it was still a blast. The last time we were at Red Rocks it rained too, and most of the locals we talked to said that was pretty normal for the summer -- that a late afternoon shower/thunderstorm would roll through.

We stayed in RiNo in Denver at The Source Hotel and it was really nice. Very minimalistic and industrial but an overall nice stay. The RiNo area is really nice with lots of restaurants and breweries nearby. Would highly recommend.

Lauren K '07
@breezecustomtravel
Matsui
AG
Thanks for the recap!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.