1 free day in Jerusalem?

985 Views | 2 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by craigernaught
cupofjoe04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
For those who have been to Israel, I'm going to have a free day in Jerusalem coming up. Will have already hit all of the major religious/historical sites. What would you recommend doing with a free day? Any off the radar sites? Any can't miss places I should visit? Cool things to do? Great places to eat?
Thanks in advance
malenurse
AG
If you haven't already done it, City Of David and Hezekiah's Tunnel.

You could spend the entire day in the Old City. Get breakfast early in the market and watch all the people and the shops come to life.

Explore the markets and find some TAMU t-shirts in Hebrew

Walk the Via Dolorasa and the Stations of the Cross

If it's Sunday, the Palestinian Police allow visitors to the Temple Mount.

The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But, it's still on the list.
mike073
AG
Just saw this request.

We spend one full day as follows:

Underground from the City of David to the West Wall

Israel Museum, Shrine of the Book (Dead Sea Scroll Museum) Outdoor map of old Jerusalem

Enter the old town through the Damascus gate (closest to the Garden tomb) and wonder through to the plaza adjacent to the Tower of David. Along that is where you will find the Aggie shirts.

Dinner at the Eucalyptus just down the street from the Tower of David

Tower of David light show at dark

We found a local guide who could get us around and drop us off at appropriate spots, map our route and pick us up at the other end. They are not hard to find.

Gig 'em Aggies!

craigernaught
AG
I live across the river in Jordan and have been over quite a bit. If you've already hit the major sites, I'd recommend doing a few of these:

• Ramparts Walk: After entering into the old city at the Jaffa Gate, turn left. There is a ticket counter in a travel/souvenier shop where you can buy tickets to walk the rampart walls. You can walk to your left towards the Dung Gate/Temple Mount or right towards the Damascus Gate. I recommend going to the Damascus Gate.
  • Zedekiah's Cave: It's a large quarry underneath the old city. The entrance is near the Damascus Gate, outside the city walls. It's pretty crazy that this is underneath the city. Highly recommend, especially if you exit the Ramparts walk by the Damascus Gate.
  • Hike in Ein Prat: My wife and I hiked from Ein Prat (just outside Jerusalem) to Jericho through Wadi Qelt on the old Jerusalem to Jericho road as depicted in the story of the Good Samaritan. Unless you love long 9 hour hikes and don't mind navigating yourself back to Jerusalem from the West Bank via taxi and wandering around Jericho, I don't recommend doing the whole thing - but its awesome! You can do a looping trail to finish where you start at the national park entrance or exit at Alon and get a taxi. The hike is beautiful. Alternatively, you could take a taxi or organize a trip to St George's monastery that's in Wadi Qelt in the West Bank. Really cool place.
  • Western Tunnel Tour: These are awesome. The entrance to the left of the western wall before the viewing area. You should make a reservation online at the Kotel Tunnel Tour website. It's my favorite thing to do in the city. If you haven't done this yet, you absolutely need to.
  • As others have said, The City of David and Hezekiah's Tunnel are cool.
  • For food, I like Tmol Shilshom (Israeli Jewish, vegetarian but very, very good). Abu Shukri (Palestinian Muslim) has the best hummus and falafel in the old city - on the via dolorosa near the 5th station, I think. Amigo Emil (Palestinian Christian) in the old city near the via dolorosa is also really good and great to sit down in a nice place for a rest. If you're adventurous, search for Green Door Pizza (Palestinian Muslim) by the Damascus Gate (Abu Ali's Pizza to the locals). They speak Arabic so ask for a pizza with lahme u jibneh (meat and cheese) kol ishee (with everything). They're nice and you get a taste of an authentic Jerusalem that few tourists would ever try. I also really like going to Notre Dame of Jerusalem Center and eating on the balcony overlooking the old city - probably best for wine and cheese. The food is good but there are better places and you pay for the atmosphere. Make a reservation. One of the best views of the city. Mahane Yehuda has a bunch of really good restaurants, sweet shops, and bars in the market.

Also, if you haven't made trips to Masada, the Dead Sea, and Caeserea by the Sea (my favorite), you should go. Even better make the trip to Jordan and go to Petra and/or Wadi Rum!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.