Hotel, site, time recommendations for Costa Rica

6,892 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by AustinCountyAg
jbaum99
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Does anyone have any recommendations for hotels, sites to see and the time needed to see them?

Budget is open, but let's say 1500pp to start.

Secondary question, which could probably use its own topic: What is the best beach in Costa Rica?
Burn-It
AG
My Costa Rican reference is limited to the Pacific side, primarily in the Guanacaste region. Costa Rica is not typically known for their beaches as compared to what you would find in Caribbean or Florida. Costa Rica has a wide variety of volcanic sands. Some beaches are very dark (brown, black), while others are silver`ish tan (Tamarindo). Oftentimes, there are volcanic rock outcroppings instead of sandy beach.

The first time we traveled to CR, we stayed at a great little hotel Capitan Suizo on the southern tip of Tamarindo. That was probably the best decision we made for the first time. Great location, got a beachfront bungalow which was very nice, and the staff helped us with day trip arrangements. Ever since that trip, we now rent houses and pretty much know what we like to do and how to get around.
AKA 13-0
jbaum99
Thank you for your response. Would you mind answering a few more questions?

What did you do for transportation to and from the Libria airport?

Could non-Spanish speaking travelers travel well through the area?

Burn-It
AG
The 1st trip I described, we got a driver to & from LIR, arranged by the hotel. We were unsure about driving in CR, but it's actually no different than the US except the roads suck & the locals take some serious head-on risks. The hotel basically arranged all transport for day trips, very convenient. Tamarindo is a short walk, so no need for vehicles. On a different trip to Plata Santa Teresa, we got a driver to/from the small airport, then rented 4-wheelers, which was great. We now rent a bigazz van when we take the kids/friends etc.

Knowing a little Spanish would be helpful, but not necessary for most activities and within the "major" towns, restaurants, shops, etc. Once you get outside of those areas, English tend to be limited.
AKA 13-0
Potcake
AG
We traveled with another couple to Playa Flamingo in February. We flew into Liberia and rented a car. I've driven in Mexico and Caribbean so I didn't have much anxiety except for driving in the dark the first night getting there. We drove all over Flamingo/Potrero area and to Tamarindo twice. A little working Spanish will get you by, particularly at gasolinera.

ETA, the people are really friendly.
JMac03
AG
I generally recommend 3 resorts to my clients, all 3 are all-inclusive and have great reviews. With that said, I think the Dreams is currently having a problem with noroviris that I hope they get worked out ASAP.

All are on the west side in the Guanacaste area. The Westin is the closet to the airport and to town. Close to excursions. Overall great reviews. Secrets is adults only and also good reviews. Dreams Las Mareas has excellent reviews and awesome family resort but it's far from the airport, about 2 hours. Transfers are pricier in CR that some other countries.
10andBOUNCE
AG
Highly recommend Casa Chameleon. Accessible beach via short hike makes it very unique and remote vs other large resorts. One of the nicer places we have stayed. Adults only boutique hotel.
maroon10
AG
We did Arenal then Tamarindo. Arenal was beautiful, lots to see and do. I would not return to Tamarindo.
rcaper
Costa Rica vacations....they are great!
rcaper
harringtontravelco
I second Costa Rican vacations, we leave for a week long trip there this Friday. We are staying in boutique hotels
They will work with your budget, we are splitting our stay between Arenal Volcano area and Manuel Antonio area. I'm a travel agent myself and use Lisa Cederberg with Costa Rican vacations. Send me a PM if you want her contact info. She truly has answered every question I have had. She lives in Costa Rica and knows the country so well
breezecustomtravel
AG
Some of our agency's favorite resorts in Costa Rica:

El Mangroove
Florblanca
Nayara Resort
Andaz Papagayo

We also send a lot of clients to Secrets Papagayo and Dreams Las Mareas...very popular among the all-inclusive variety.

Lauren K '07
www.breezecustomtravel.com
@breezecustomtravel
water turkey
Los Suenos

Jaco Beach

I've got a buddy that runs charter boats out of Los Suenos, if you want to fish/whale watch.
Burn-It
AG
Curious about the Jaco recommendation. I have not personally been, but have heard from others and read reviews that this area can be pretty shady.
AKA 13-0
evan_aggie
AG
Stayed a few hundred feet down from Capt Suizo. That area is nice because you can still walk to town, the beach, etc.

We had a car and spent a day at the Viejo volcano and did a three hour hike.
PoppaB05
AG
This will be our fourth time going and our favorite is Andaz Papagayo. Costco does some really good deals, make sure you book one of the rooms with a view. Best vacation I've ever been on. Costa Ricans are very friendly and not pushy salesmen like most of Central America and the Caribbean.
Counterpoint
AG
PoppaB05 said:

This will be our fourth time going and our favorite is Andaz Papagayo. Costco does some really good deals, make sure you book one of the rooms with a view. Best vacation I've ever been on. Costa Ricans are very friendly and not pushy salesmen like most of Central America and the Caribbean.
Is this the Hyatt property? And should I request the bay view or the forest view?
95richmondaggie95
AG
Headed RIU Guanacaste for first time in 2 weeks. Anyone know the property? Comments good bad or otherwise?

What are the must do's while in Costa Rica?
JMac03
AG
95richmondaggie95 said:

Headed RIU Guanacaste for first time in 2 weeks. Anyone know the property? Comments good bad or otherwise?

What are the must do's while in Costa Rica?
It is the older of the two Riu resorts there but still a decent option. Several nice pools. Not far from airport. Keep in mind airport transfers are pricier there than other countries. I hope you have a good time!
Zili
My favorite destination! I spent 2 weeks in Costa Rica and had a really great experience. It is a wonderful place to spend some of your time in peace and an amazing place to enjoy your holidays. Here is a good website, there are collected all travel related sites. You'll find there everything you need https://travelsites.com/
texas.aggie.2010
If you want a quiet corner away from everything https://www.lascatalinascr.com/
Also be sure to check out playa conchal
GIJOE
AG

Bharr16 posted this above:
I second Costa Rican vacations, we leave for a week long trip there this Friday. We are staying in boutique hotels

They will work with your budget, we are splitting our stay between Arenal Volcano area and Manuel Antonio area. I'm a travel agent myself and use Lisa Cederberg with Costa Rican vacations. Send me a PM if you want her contact info. She truly has answered every question I have had. She lives in Costa Rica and knows the country so well

I would like to have contact info for Lisa Cederberg if anyone has it. I tried to PM poster Bharr16, but would not go thru. Also tried email in her profile, but that didn't work either. If anyone has good contact for Lisa Cederberg or for Bharr16 I would appreciate it.

aggiemom89
For those that have gone recently, or in June in the past, is it rainy the whole time? Particularly in Arenal and Manuel Antonio areas.
JMac03
AG
aggiemom89 said:

For those that have gone recently, or in June in the past, is it rainy the whole time? Particularly in Arenal and Manuel Antonio areas.
I think it depends on the time of the year. The kicker is - it is usually short bursts. So when I was there (November) - it was maybe 20 minute showers once or twice a day - not all day long. I think that is fairly standard from all my research.
rcaper
Peace Lodge
rcaper
PoppaB05
AG
Yes, it is the Hyatt property. We initially booked a forest view but upgraded to Bay view when we got there. We loved the view so much that we wanted to see it waking up. It's not necessary since everywhere you go on the property has an amazing view but we really enjoyed it. Went last year and going back in a few weeks. The beach house they take you to really was probably the most relaxing place I've ever been. Wife got a massage on the beach and I just drank imperial watching the water and monkeys. Their pools on resort were awesome and never crowded. Fruit and coffee at breakfast is top notch. Really enjoyed everything about the place

If you're looking for things to do, staying a night around Arenal and going to volcano is a top recommendation as is the national park. There are also a couple hot springs/Zipline places that are really fun just north of Liberia. One of them has a crazy waterslide as well that is not for the faint of heart. Didn't love tamarindo or Jaco, not worth the trip in my opinion. Flamingo beach was just as good as those and more laid back but I still prefer the Papagayo peninsula. We did an ATV tour on Flamingo that was a highlight of our first trip together 8 years ago.

Liberia has always had super friendly people that will help and talk to you. They recommended some great places to eat. If you have an early flight out of Liberia the Hilton is nice and relatively cheap. You can take the bus into Liberia as well from near there and explore/eat. If you are in the Playa Flamingo area there is a pizza place by the now Margaritaville resort that is one of the best I've ever had.
SquirrellyDan
AG
Andaz papagayo is fantastic. Also, if you have Hyatt points, it's only 15k points a night which is an amazing value.
harringtontravelco
Sorry my email is brooke@jkmousetravel.com send me an email and I'll send you Lisa's co tact info with Costa Rican vacations
Schall 02
AG
Bump.
AggieWalker
Nice beach, great hiking and waterfalls nearby. Friendly and safe during day and evening. Not a night person
SquirrellyDan
AG
For anyone who visits Papagayo peninsula area, if you have a rental car make sure to stop by Playa Cabuyal, which is about a 15 minute drive from Andaz/4 seasons. Awesome, secluded beach unlike any other I've seen on the pacific side. I spent a whole day there and saw two other people. Also hooked into a massive rooster fish from the surf but couldn't reel him in.
PoppaB05
AG
I agree with this recommendation with one caveat, this is a popular beach for locals, and students are out from mid December through January and so it can be crowded during that time. Would also recommend Playa Panama if you like Black sand beaches which is in the same area and also popular with locals. We've got a friend that is a local that took us all around during our trip at Thanksgiving. Playa Cabuyol was one of our favorite beaches.

Still recommend Andaz which was amazing again. Four Seasons nearby is also a great choice. I don't recommend the Hard Rock which is also nearby unless you just plan on getting hammered every day all day. The Marina Dive Bar is also a great place to eat dinner and the Andaz and Four Seasons will arrange free transportation.

El Patio in Liberia has my vote as best place I've eaten in Costa Rica. The Churrasco steak was fabulous and I would highly recommend it if you plan on going into the city.

Rio Celeste waterfall is worth the drive and long hike. Google it, it's beautiful. If you don't mind hiking and it's the dry season, do it.

Buena Vista is a fun day with Zipline, waterslide(legit scary), and hot springs. If you go MAKE SURE YOU VISIT THE BAR. An unbelievable view and most people don't even know about it. Just gorgeous.
maddiedou
AG
Bump. We are planning for june 6 or so.
Has there been any changes or all the above places still okay

Also what about cigar places to visit
maddiedou
Mr. McGibblets
AG
We booked ours in the Jacco area for spring break. Will report back after. We are staying at Alma Del Pacifico Beach Hotel.
AustinCountyAg
questions for those who've stayed at Casa Chameleon in Las Catalinas.....

1. How accessible is the town of Las Catalinas, and Playa Flamingo? Curious about local restuarants/grocery stores etc? Since the hotel is not AI we need to eat and drink at other places to mix it up.

2. Is a car necessary? How do people normally get around to explore Las Catalinas and Playa Flamingo?

I've been eyeing this hotel for several years, but I remain skeptical for simply not knowing whats around and how accessible everything is. Seems to be located in a new development and I'd hate to get there and basically be stuck in the room with no easy way to venture outside the hotel. I love laying around and doing nothing, but drinking $10 beers at the hotel pool for multiple days straight would get old.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.