Mexico and Zika Risk -- Is it still a thing or is being overblown?

1,858 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by rcaper
Crazy Ag 97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ok, so my buddy has decided to do a cruise to Cozumel for his wedding. I am not thrilled even a little about it as we are not cruise people and we've been to Cozumel many times, none the less, it was his decision, and being that he is one of my closest friends, I will go and not complain one bit. That said, our dilemma....

My wife and I are currently family planning, and she is deadset that she can't go and if we're not pregnant by the time of the cruise, I can't either. All the research I have been doing seems to suggest that the risk of Zika infection is pretty much gone and no worse than anywhere else really. Obviously we would load up on spray and most likely not do the excursions to minimize exposure. I'm curious as to what others on here think about the Zika risk in July? Obviously, I don't want to take unnecessary risks, but from everything I am reading, the risk is essentially no worse than in the US now. Thoughts? Am I crazy? If this was anyone else, i would've declined and moved on, but I really want to be there for him.
TXCityAggie
AG
I live in Guatemala and haven't heard anything about Zika in at least a couple of years.
SquirrellyDan
AG
Just curious---ever been on a cruise? I thought I'd hate it too but I ended up having a great time.
Crazy Ag 97
AG
PrimeTime09 said:

Just curious---ever been on a cruise? I thought I'd hate it too but I ended up having a great time.
Fair question... I have not so I'm hoping I'm wrong. Honestly, I'm sure it'll be fun, especially since there's like 30 people going on the cruise for the wedding, most of which I know. It just seems like a lot of money to just sit on a boat for 2 days each way commuting when I can fly there in a couple hours.
Fairview
AG
The thing with cruises is experiences can vary wildly depending on the cruise line, the specific boat you are on and the type of room you stay in. We have it pretty dialed in to what we like and love them, in fact we are going on one next week. I will say there are more bad boats than good boats and a lot like going to Disney there is a lot of pre-planning you need to do to get reservations at the good restaurants and stuff. We also dont do excursions through the ship anymore. Slightly more risky but ok if you know what you are doing. One day we stop in Grand Cayman and have a boat chartered for the day to snorkel, do the stingrays, tubing, etc. Good times.

With a group of friends its a lot easier to have a good time even if the boat isn't the best.
Crazy Ag 97
AG
This is thru Royal and I decided to get the balcony room. As far as restaurants, from what I understand, most of the dinners are already set up thru the travel agent. I'm definitely not concerned with the organized excursions. We've both been to Cozumel previously and have a good idea of what we would do or better yet, what we don't want to do.
wessimo
AG
If she is that worried about it just stay on board in port, chances are you won't even see a mosquito.
Here4Beer
AG
Tough spot. Honestly I think you should be fine but in the end, do what makes you and your wife feel comfortable.

Edit. Wrong emoji choice
I Play With Guns
S
If you do go and end up having sex, make sure you use a condom during and after the trip for a good while.

I would reach out to your doctor and talk about it as your wife's concern are 100% valid.

I'm currently 12 weeks, 6 days pregnant and every time we go to doctor, we get Zika grilled with questions. It's still a very serious and real concern for people trying to get pregnant or currently pregnant.

We are taking a pre-baby trip and my doctor told me under no circumstances should I travel to any country where Zika has been reported and to check the CDC map and only go where it's 100% safe. We even have to clear the destination with her once it's been decided.

Just .02 cents from a preggo lady!
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Yep the birth defects associated with Zika are real deal. Many physicians are advising a 6 month waiting period after traveling to Zika countries. And yes big cruise lines are blah and Microcephaly is no joke.
beatlesphan
AG
Personal decision. My wife and I are both physicians...work took me to Mexico for a month and we decided to postpone trying to get pregnant til I had been back for 6 months (I was there Feb 2018).

In all likelihood you'll be fine. It's not like people in the Zika endemic countries have stopped having kids (I was laughed at by the Mexicans when I mentioned it). But the CDC recommendation remains, and you'll have to accept the 0.0001% chance or whatever that your kid will have microcephaly.

I like the suggestion from the poster above who said have your wife stay on the boat.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
DropDemNuggetz
AG
I've heard the 6 month window is in no way scientific or proven, and that this is just something that the medical community came up with as their "best guess".
strohag
AG
You'll be fine. Bring bug spray.
murphyag
AG
If you or your wife are worried, just don't go. You have to ask yourself what is more important to you. I assume it's the safety of your future baby. Also, I get tired of people expecting others to spend $1,000's of dollars to attend their destination wedding.
stardustag
AG
Op: if your wife is pregnant by then, you may also want to watch out for cruise policies... in general cruises have pretty strict policy for pregnant women (as in, once you are up to certain months pregnant, you can't get on).
Crazy Ag 97
AG
stardustag said:

Op: if your wife is pregnant by then, you may also want to watch out for cruise policies... in general cruises have pretty strict policy for pregnant women (as in, once you are up to certain months pregnant, you can't get on).
Don't even need to look it up, we already decided that if she is pregnant come departure day, she's not going. It really boils down to if she's not.

Thanks for all the input everyone.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Yeah its true they havent stopped having kids in those countries. We had enough to worry about when we were preggers, the anxiety of Zika would have ruined my trip and I am not an anxious person. We went to Hawaii instead.

Also, I love destination weddings, if you don't want to spend the coin, just don't go, no one will be offended (usually)
AggieOO
its not terribly expensive (in the grand scheme of things) to get tested for zika when you get back. if its less than 2 weeks after your trip, its a quick urine test. if longer than 2 weeks, its a blood test. This would be assuming your wife is not already pregnant...if that's the case, I wouldn't risk it.

I was traveling quite a bit when my wife got pregnant. I got tested just for peace of mind. Because of how much travel I did, I had to do both urine and blood tests. I think it was about $150 all in. Not covered by insurance.
LSB_2002
AG
Crazy Ag 97 said:

stardustag said:

Don't even need to look it up, we already decided that if she is pregnant come departure day, she's not going. It really boils down to if she's not.

Thanks for all the input everyone.
Better start tapping that!
Crazy Ag 97
AG
AggieOO said:

its not terribly expensive (in the grand scheme of things) to get tested for zika when you get back. if its less than 2 weeks after your trip, its a quick urine test. if longer than 2 weeks, its a blood test. This would be assuming your wife is not already pregnant...if that's the case, I wouldn't risk it.

I was traveling quite a bit when my wife got pregnant. I got tested just for peace of mind. Because of how much travel I did, I had to do both urine and blood tests. I think it was about $150 all in. Not covered by insurance.
I'd like to know who your doctor is! (figure of speech) When she requested a test after our honeymoon because we didn't want to wait 6 months to start trying, it raised holy hell. The CDC got involved, even after the initial negative test there were multiple additional tests that they tried to make us agree to at our expense (we politely gave them the finger), and they continued to harass us for almost 6 months about doing them. All I know is it was not a simple undertaking.
AggieOO
Got it done at my wife's OB office when she went in for one of her appointments. Was a super simple process. Nothing like you described.
rcaper
A cruise? Are you kidding? You never actually go to the country on a cruise....
rcaper
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.