Prague and Vienna

6,309 Views | 46 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by notheranymore
Texaggie7nine
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Vienna, I wished I had longer there.

So many museums. I'm an old art enthusiast so a lot of what I say is based on that.

I think my absolute favorite thing there was the Kunsthistorisches Museum near the Hoffburg. Not only for it's incredible collection of art but for the building itself, especially inside. We only did 4 hours there and still that was not near enough.

The Belvedere Palace, both upper and lower were worth it. Get there early or late if you don't want to wait in a long line to see The Kiss painting.

The Hofburg Palace is a must see from the outside, but the inside really isn't a MUST see but it's impressive inside. I was just bored with it being pretty much ONLY about the Empress Elizabeth and Emperor Joseph. It is cool, but I'm more intrigued about the earlier Habsburg years than the 1800s.

The Shonbrun Palace is also a must see, at least the outside and the Gardens. The inside was worth it to us, very impressive rooms and it wasn't all about Sisi and Franz Joseph. It also had several rooms that were similar to how they were when Maria Theresa was in power. Like the room where Mozart first played for her when he was 7.

If you are going to do both Palaces interiors, I'd recommend buying the SiSi ticket package which cover both Palaces.

We really enjoyed listening to Rick Steve's guides on Vienna and did a few walking tours he had. I would at least to the ring tram but the only place to board it is at Swedenplatz, otherwise you will need to just use the 1 and 2 trams that both do a half circle around the ring to combine to make a ring.

Also, if you are not renting a car, I highly recommend the CAT (city airport train) from the airport to town. You can buy a round trip at the airport at any of the places you see CAT and it's totally worth it even though its like $24 a person. The amazing thing about it is you can check in your bags for your flight up to 24 hours before your flight at the CAT station in the city. You don't have to worry about them from there. You can ride the train to the airport and just go straight to security.

It's also worth getting a week metro pass even though you will never be checked for it on any of the trams or buses. We only used uber like 2 times there. It's super easy to get around with public transit.

The Albertina was also a great art museum with a lot of big names.

We saw an Opera in Prague and in Vienna. If I had to do it over again, I would have seen the Opera in Prague and went to a classical symphony performance in Vienna. Especially since the Opera in Prague (Mozart and Friends) was in english and had english subtitles and was much cheaper. We had no clue what was being said in Orlando in Vienna though it was fun to watch. I'd say see at least one opera in either Prague or Vienna.

If you like classical music, they have small chamber concerts all over Vienna and Prague, so book to your hearts delight if that's your bag.

Of the things we saw in Vienna, those were my favorite.

We unfortunately weren't in Vienna for the weekend so we missed a chance to see the Lipizzaner stallions. I would definitely do that if you are there on Saturday.

As for Prague, get used to crowds. I cannot stress enough to get up before 8 and get to the Charles Bridge to make your way to the Castle. After 10 everything from Charles Bridge to the Castle is insanity. We stayed in an air B&B right near charles bridge and enjoyed getting to know our way around all the street and avoiding the busiest times for crowds.

Something that really helped us get ready for Prague was this youtube Channel.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCt7oj318jVQi7vRbc1bNjJA Learned a lot of tips and tricks.

My favorite things in Prague were Prague Castle and the royal art museum there, plus the Lobkowitz Palace which you have to pay for separately than the Prague Castle and other Palaces. Just remember, if you really enjoy the Prague Castle, take your time, you can always come back another day and do the second half, just do it early in the morning or late in the evening. The Lobkowitz Palace has a great cafe with a view over the entire city.

Also really enjoyed Colloredo-Mansfeld Palace right by the Charles Bridge entrance on the other side from the Castle as I discovered it through one of The Honest Guide's youtube videos. It's a bit more expensive than when he went when he only paid 1 crown, I think its like 90 crowns now, but worth it. We were the only ones in the entire place and an old lady had to follow us through it all to make sure we didn't do anything bad, but we could take pictures.

We went to a soccer match at Prague Sparta little stadium. It was like $12USD for front row seats. Lots of fun. You can get there with a train. We hardly used the Prague Subway and never really used busses or trams. Pretty much walked everywhere. We did uber to the airport and back, otherwise the bus is the only other way if you aren't renting a car.

We didn't do as many museums and stuff in Prague, mainly because we just enjoyed strolling the old town streets and eating local food and drinking their amazing beer.

The Ufleku beer hall was worth it. Great beer and good food. Recommend making a reservation, otherwise you may be waiting for a bit.

Beer spa's are a real thing and you can soak in a beer bath with unlimited beer to drink for 1 or 2 hours and I now regret not doing that. They had it in Karlovy Vary as well.

The Jewish Cemetery and Synagogues in the Jewish town were worth it to us.

I do regret not fitting in the Vysehrad Castle in Prague, it's a bit out of the main city.

Other than that, all I can say is, read up on all the histories if you have not already, especially the Habsburgs and King Wenceslas if you have not already. As for language issues, Vienna was really easy to talk to everyone in english even though you hear german all around you. For Prague, learn a little basic Czech, like good day, how are you, how much does this cost, yes, no, thank you and do you speak english. Any time you venture out of the super touristy areas, you will meet with many people who really don't know much english. And even for the ones that do, they seem to be much more cordial if you approach them in Czech first then ask if they speak english. If you start with english, you will get a lot of cold attitudes.

Also, as with all of Europe, if you walk by a cool looking cathedral, walk in.

Feel free to ask me any other questions here or through facebook. Happy to answer.

7nine
07ag
AG
thanks! lots of intriguing ideas there!
Texaggie7nine
Vernada said:

If you haven't already, spend some time reading up on the Hapsburg Dynasty.
Yes, I'm very glad I did before I went. Watched every documentary I could online and read what I could.

I knew somewhat about them before from history classes in school but never knew just how powerful and interesting they were. I always thought of WWI as the end of the austro /hungarian empire but never really understood how much it was the end of the Habsburg Dynasty.

I became obsessed with the Medici's after going to Florence, and now I feel the same with the Habsburgs.

I'm a bit bummed we didn't go see the Habsburg Imperial Crypt in the City Center.

7nine
Vernada
AG
It probably seems like silly advice to most folks. But, I ended up in Vienna for 4 days at one point on a whim. I SO wished I knew more about them and spent lots of time later reading about them.
07ag
AG
catacombs in vienna cathedral were really cool

tried to go to prague soccer, but the playoffs had started and tickets were sold out

kosel beer was great, as was all the beer

prague was overrun by tourists, vysehrad castle was supposed to be better but apparently the secret is out on it. still really cool. did a walking tour there, then kinda wandered back to hotel near main square, saw a lot of neat sites on the way, like an important ww2 church, and the 'cheapest beer in prague'

trip started a bit rough, aa delays caused us to miss connection in miami, got to vienna a day late and missing a checked bag, but trip went well after that

should have done the sisi ticket, didn't, but did go see both palaces, schonbrunn definitely the better experience

was wanting to do a day trip to bratislava from vienna, but due to getting there a day late we chose to drop that from our plans
Texaggie7nine
That sucks. Hope you got a free flight or something from AA.
7nine
notheranymore
Here's our itin for this summer. Fixed points are arrival and departure into/out of Munich (b/c of direct flight from IAH and don't desire to connect to elsewhere).

Thoughts?

Friday, Aug 2 - Depart @ 4:30

Saturday, Aug 3 - Arrive Munich a.m. - drop bags/rest at hotel if room is ready
-Do Rick Steve's walk: Marientplatz, Glockenspiel, Hofbrauhaus, New Town Hall Tower (take elevator up for views), Kaufinger Strasse (pedestrian only street)

Sunday, Aug 4 - Train to Prague
-Hotel will pick us up at train station, drop bags
-Do Rick Steve's Old Town walk (we're staying in Old Town) - see Jewish Quarter (good shopping), Charles Bridge

Monday, Aug 5 - Prague
-St. Vitus Cathedral (get there early), Prague Castle, Lobkowicz Palace
-Tram to Mucha's Slav Epic
-R.S.'s New Town Walk (some museums are closed on Mondays)

Tuesday, Aug 6 - Prague
-Day trip to Pilsen?
-or New Town walk if we didn't do it Monday
-Svetozor Mall, get ice cream, Bat'a shoe store, look for leaded crystal by Moser
-Tram #22

Wednesday, Aug 7 - Prague to Vienna
-Ringstrasse Tram Tour
-R.S.'s City Walk
-Opera house tour? (45 mins)
-Sacher torte
-St. Stephens Cathedral

Thursday, Aug 8 - Vienna
-Hofsburg Imperial Apartments & Treasury
-Concert or opera
-Kunst museum
-Heuriger (HOY rih gur) - like a beer garden but wine - mostly white, with buffet - in town is Gigerl Stadtheuriger or out of town see pg 142 in R.S. Book)

Friday, Aug 9 - Vienna to Munich
-Residenz tour
-English garden
-Neighborhood Biergarten

Saturday, Aug 10 - Day trip
-Train to Fussen then taxi to Neuschwanstein Castle (carriage ride to top)
-Tour castle, then bridge/gorge?

Sunday, Aug 11 - Return home
Texaggie7nine
Looks good though I would try to fit in Ufleku in Prague for dinner or lunch.

Also, if you can fit it, I would try to fit in the Hofburg palace in on the first day and shorten the walk or something so you can do th Schonbrun Palace the next morning. We liked it better than the Hofburg.

Also the Kuntshistorisch Museum is really spectacular if you love art.
7nine
notheranymore
Thx!
07ag
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

Looks good though I would try to fit in Ufleku in Prague for dinner or lunch.

Also, if you can fit it, I would try to fit in the Hofburg palace in on the first day and shorten the walk or something so you can do th Schonbrun Palace the next morning. We liked it better than the Hofburg.

Also the Kuntshistorisch Museum is really spectacular if you love art.
i liked ufleku, but the wife did not enjoy the communal seating (plus she was tired of czech food at that point)
notheranymore
We're thinking we'll drive between Vienna and Munich. Should be pretty.
Cen-Tex
AG
prisschris said:

We're thinking we'll drive between Vienna and Munich. Should be pretty.
Check to ensure the roads your driving do/don't require a toll (Zoll) pass. The Austrian police require immediate cash payment if stopped w/out a toll pass.
notheranymore
Trip report:
Flew into Munich and landed 8/3 - (Flew Biz First on a retrofitted 767 with the new Polaris seats - ahhhhhhh)
Gorgeous, cool weather when we landed. Picked up rental car and drove to our hotel - Hilton Munich Park. Dropped luggage and walked through the English Garden and grabbed a bite/beer there. After a nap we took a Ride Free (uber alternative) to town and checked out the Glockenspiel (didn't see it operate) then headed to Hoffbrauhaus.

On 8/4 we drove to Pilsen and visited Pilsner Urquell and had lunch there. Then drove into Prague and stayed at the Residence Agnes (cannot recommend them enough!). Walked to the square and all around town.

On 8/5 we toured the Castle complex, shopped around and crossed the Charles Bridge. Checked out the Astrological clock, saw the Jewish area and had a great dinner.

On 8/6 we drove to Vienna and stayed at the Hilton Danube Waterfront which is not in the center of things but has a great position on the river. Checked out the cathedral, then shopped and drooled over watches and dreamed of VAT refunds.

On 8/7 we toured the Hofburg palace/ground then Schoenbrunn palace (agree it's much better) and grounds. Had dinner at a Peruvian restaurant (it was amazing and a nice break from sausage and kraut).

On 8/8 we drove towards Budapest and stopped in Bratislava for brunch. Wow, what a pretty town. We want to go back someday. We arrived in Budapest and stayed at the Hilton by Matthias cathedral. Budapest blew me away. The view from the hotel was breathtaking. We toured the cathedral, checked out the bastion, crossed the river and toured Pest and checked out the exterior of Parliament. Came back to the area near our hotel and had an amazing dinner. Budapest is cheap cheap cheap and so lovely. Will definitely go back.

On 8/9 we drove back towards Munich. This was a lonnnnnnng day in the car. We drove through Slovenia but skipped Croatia due to currency/toll system. We parked in Ljubljana for lunch but the place I picked was closed and we got a ticket for parking without paying (Slovenia is apparently infamous for this). Absolutely gorgeous country and drove by a lake (Velencei-to?) that looked amazing. Would love to go back and stay there some time. Drove through Austria and the Alps. It was a Sound of Music scene the whole way through. I was blown away. Got back to Munich and stayed at the same hotel as before.

On 8/10 we had considered a trip to see Neuchwanstein but didn't book tickets ahead of time and it was raining and foggy so we just shopped Munich, caught the Glockenspiel show, and purchased a ****oo clock (being shipped to us).

On 8/11 we flew back and were lucky enough to pick up the retrofitted 767 again.

We didn't go as in-depth in these towns as many of you like to but we really enjoyed it The husband likes to drive and we knocked out about 2K kilometers. We had an amazing time.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.