State Parks

1,216 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Apache
Wicked Good Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
After reading the Favorite National Park thread (again) are there any state parks that you have visited that rival some of the better national parks ??
We are thinking of planning a summer 2020 trip to various national parks and wanted to add some great state parks that are on par with the best national parks in terms of scenery, hiking, camping etc

Suggestions ?
Apache
AG
Three of my favorites (Not my pics)

California:
Point Lobos State Natural Reserve: Just south of Carmel... incredible scenery. We were there when the seals were calving.

Oregon:
Ecola Beach State Park: Just up the road from Cannon Beach. We built a fire on the beach, watched surfers catch waves while a frickin' Bald Eagle drank from the creek that drained into the Pacific nearby. Oh yeah, we also checked out the starfish & anemones all over the rocks at low tide.

New Hampshire:
White Mountains National Forest & Franconia Notch State Park: Beautiful country... the Flume Gorge is a gorgeous place.
Neches21
I won't say they "rival" national parks but here are some incredible state parks that are I highly recommend:

Colorado:
Eldorado Canyon State Park (near Boulder) has incredible views and history and isn't near as crowded as the state's National Parks

Tennessee:
Fall Creek Falls State Park (between Nashville and Knoxville) has the highest water fall east of the Mississippi

Minnesota:
Itasca State Park (North Central MN) is the head waters of the Mississippi River and is set in a beautiful forest of red and white pines
AgRyan04
The handful that I hear repeatedly via the RV blogs/podcasts are:

Dead Horse Point State Park in Utah
Petit Jean State Park in Arkansas
Mueller State Park in Colorado
McNeil River Falls State Park in Alaska
Big Bend State Park here in Texas

I've heard that New Mexico has an incredible state park program as well.

Here is a link I ran across a few months ago on some others

https://blog.thediscoverer.com/the-best-state-park-in-each-state/
Apache
AG
Taking the family to Dead Horse in Utah as well as Goblin Valley State Park. I've heard great things about both.
Another great stop in Oregon in Oneonta Gorge in the Columbia River Scenic Area (Not a state park, but close). You hike up the river in the bottom of a slot canyon:
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.