1 day in Washington DC

1,234 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by jwoodmd
NoahAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Gonna try to visit the swamp when we're in the area. I know we can't do an exhaustive tour in a day, but given a few hours what 1 or 2 high points would you see?

Right now, I'm thinking we'll just try to see as many of the monuments as possible; take a picture of the White House.
The Lost
Probably that. I'd say walk the mall and maybe pick 1 museum that sounds interesting to the group.
HollywoodBQ
AG
I'd walk past:
White House
Washington, Lincoln, Jefferson, MLK memorials
Spend a little time viewing:
Monuments - WWII, Korea, Vietnam Wall, Vietnam Women's sculpture

I did all of this during a cold afternoon with my daughter a few years ago. We also rented a paddleboat near the Jefferson memorial and made a mess of my "map my walk" tracking app.
CanyonAg77
AG
Depending on weather, you can cover a heck of a lot of ground on the rental bikes. Or you could opt for a hop on/hop off trolley tour
Yesterday
AG
Arlington National Cemetery.

The Cemetery
JFK Eternal Flame
Changing of the gaurd
Robert E Lee house and view of DC
Audie Murphy grave
USS Maine Mast

Swing by Marine Corps Iwo Jima monument on the way or on the way out.

That's what I would do. Plenty of other things to do in that town but that's what I've enjoyed the most.
Garrelli 5000
AG
The American History Museum at the Smithsonian. If you only go to 1 museum at the S, that's the one to do.
mrsbeer05
AG
Just got back from there Tuesday. Walk the mall and pick one museum. Air and space is renovating so I wouldn't pick that.
aggeeme
Night tour if you can, its spectacular at night but I have done a lot of Hop On Hop Off in Boston and in NYC and its a great way to see a lot in a short time.
CanyonAg77
AG
Sitting on the Arlington Cemetery tram right now for a tour, I'll let you know how it goes. Open air tram, $15 (cheaper for military, free if in uniform.). Supposed to take an hour, it's about a 5 minute walk from the Metro

Apparently construction will keep us from Iwo Jima

It's a step on step off, one tram every 15 minutes
CanyonAg77
AG
Beautiful day in the Capitol. I do recommend the Arlington tour. You can hop off the tram and catch another later. It stops at the major things like JFK and Tomb of the Unknowns, but there are other stops you can explore at your leisure, then catch the next one.

Sucked a little because the President of Brazil was laying a wreath, and construction kept us from the Iwo Jima memorial, as well as Arlington house, but still worth it.
Wicked Good Ag
Adam Ag 98 said:

The American History Museum at the Smithsonian. If you only go to 1 museum at the S, that's the one to do.

This. If you want an American History museum in the USA you can find different eras in different cities but everything in one place in this exhibit
jwoodmd
Wicked Good Ag said:

Adam Ag 98 said:

This. If you want an American History museum in the USA you can find different eras in different cities but everything in one place in this exhibit
This one is a great one. But, the Air and Space Museum is one that is also hard to bypass.
CanyonAg77
AG
Quote:

the Air and Space Museum is one that is also hard to bypass.
Caveat: They are remodeling it right now, so some exhibits are closed. Check their web site.

If you're an airplane nut (like me) Udvar-Hazy is a Do Not Miss. But for a one day trip, it will kill the whole day, with the trip out to Dulles.
jwoodmd
CanyonAg77 said:

Quote:

the Air and Space Museum is one that is also hard to bypass.
Caveat: They are remodeling it right now, so some exhibits are closed. Check their web site.

If you're an airplane nut (like me) Udvar-Hazy is a Do Not Miss. But for a one day trip, it will kill the whole day, with the trip out to Dulles.
Didn't know there's some remodeling currently. And agree that the larger "wow" exhibits out at Dulles are better. But, it's out at Dulles so it's a special voyage to get to.

The beauty of the Mall is spending a day there walking among monuments, hitting any museum, etc. is a can't miss day. Sure, you'll not see everything but whatever you do see is a great experience - although there are two I've only visited once and can't go back (Vietnam Memorial and Holocaust Museum - incredible places but they're too emotional for me). I've had trips through DC where I have just a few hours before a flight and I hit the Mall on any end or site I can fit in. For as ****ed up as our government is, that area is spectacular to hang around. Damn, just sitting on a bench eating an ice cream on a spring day there is great. And Canyon, I know you know all that, it's more for OP and general readers.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.