October Honeymoon Ideas

1,591 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Its Not Rocket Surgery
tukAg10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I wanted to get some opinions on Honeymoon ideas for late September, early October time frame for this year. I dated a teacher for 8 years so I really only traveled during the Summer or Winter Break.

Both early 30's loving a mix of adventure and relaxation. We are not religious, so church site seeing does not interest us, but an attraction/location with rich history is nice.

I've traveled to most major places other than sub sahara africa. I lived in Europe for a bit and did a lot of travel to many european cities.
She has not traveled much. We went to UAE together, Sri Lanka, Honduras, Costa Rica, Nicaragua (terrible mistake), and of course Mexico.

Just wanted to get some ideas of fun, nice places to spend 7-10 days but not empty the bank

Thanks!
breezecustomtravel
AG
Depending on what type of honeymoon you want - relaxing or seeing all the things - there are some really great options in the Caribbean Islands.
Antigua, Anguilla, St. Lucia, Grenada all have some amazing smaller resorts and since they are smaller islands you can really take the time to explore and see what they have to offer.

Hawaii is also another popular honeymoon destination and exploring different islands could be a really memorable experience.

I'm also working on an Italy honeymoon and I think it's going to be spectacular. Especially the wine tasting in Florence they are going to do.

I'm happy to help if you have any questions or want some more information.
Lauren K '07
www.breezecustomtravel.com
@breezecustomtravel
smc05
My husband and I did St. Lucia for a late October honeymoon.
Pasquale Liucci
AG
+1 for October in the Caribbean. Beautiful fall weather and there are usually a late of deals September/October as it is their slow season before stuff picks up for people who winter there.

Only thing to worry about is threat of tropical weather, but October is the very end of hurricane season. If you are worried about that a) buy vacation insurance and/or b) go further south in the Caribbean. St Lucia, Turks and Caicos, Antigua, Anguilla, etc are far enough south that you would dodge most tropical weather anyway.

My wife and I's anniversary is in October and we went to Antigua. We loved it.
tukAg10
AG
She has been talking of Italy for years. We were supposed to go last summer and enjoy some world cup atmosphere but of course Italy didn't make EC and we went somewhere else.

I will need to look into the Carribean option some more. I've only been to Cuba and Jamaica so I haven't explored much of what the islands have to offer, but I have had friends visit and rave about them.

SwissAgg
AG
Neither one of you have traveled to sub-Saharan Africa. My favorite vacation was to Namibia, and

my second favorite was Tanzania. 10 days is doable to Tanzania or Botswana. It isn't cheap however.

Italy is always nice and Romantic.

Fall is my favorite time in Europe. It is not so hot, and there are not many tourists.

In 10 days, you could cover, for example.

Rome, Florence, Siena, and maybe Pompeii.

Milwaukees Best Light
AG
We did Thailand in late October and it was great. Weather was perfect and it was cheap. Long flight and full of Russians, but still an awesome place.
tukAg10
AG
Sub Sahara does interest us. We tinkered with a Kili hike with Sarah and Mayne even beach time but it seems so jammed back for a trip that's supposed to be more relaxing and romantic.

I've been to Thailand and absolutely loved it. So cheap and amazing beaches with some beautiful landscapes in the north. That flight does suck though and we would have to find a good deal to make that flight affordable.

Man who knew this would be so hard!
XPATAG
AG
Depending on flight costs have you looked at Morocco, Greece, or Croatia?
falconace
College station, tx. This place called Kyle field is amazing.

Never get married during football season.
Here4Beer
AG
My wife and I just had our honeymoon in early October this past year. We went to Oktoberfest in Munich, Prague and Tuscany. It was the best trip of my life and I may be biased but man Tuscany is hard to beat at that time of year. Great weather, food, wine and history to see in Italy.
tukAg10
AG
Valid point about football season, but there's a bye week and a few FCS cupcakes to make it work
tukAg10
AG
You might be on to something. Beer for him and wine for her. Plus she's been itching to go to Italy for a while now. I may have to do some research on this itinerary. How many days did you spend?
Here4Beer
AG
13 total. The only thing I would do different was leave off Prague. Not that I didn't enjoy it but simply b/c I enjoyed Munich and Tuscany that much more.
tukAg10
AG
Man, but Prague is probably my favorite European city. Granted I went there once in early/mid 20's with a party mentality but also went back late 20's at a slower pace and still found it to be a hidden gem.

I appreciate the input though, it does sound like a good set up. My only concern with Europe is trying to do too much and not relaxing and enjoying each place.
tukAg10
AG
I have not. I think we briefly discussed Greece. We've had friends and family go there but most say it is experience and full of tourist (unsure if that is as true for October)

I enjoyed Morocco, but not 100% if she would. I went alone last time and had no worries or issues, but she has a tendency to view things a little differently than me and she may feel uncomfortable at times. It may be something to save for any anniversary trip though. Were you thinking something like the Tangier to Casablanca coast?

Croatia... yes! would be awesome. I may take Beer's suggestion and try to lump a hop over to Croatia into it. Especially if taking off prague, that would free up some time. I loved Croatia. Beautiful and relatively cheap!
JoeAggie5
Sounds like Europe or Hawaii to which then you would want to do 10 days.

All I'll say is we went cheap on honeymoon and went to Mexico and said we would do big trip "later." Kids/life happen and still haven't been to Europe and thankfully her parents covered a good portion of Hawaii to make that possible.

I think Caribbean locations could be picked off over long weekends in your future.
Its Not Rocket Surgery
AG
If you haven't been and are into something culturally different from your list, I'd recommend looking into Japan. You can enjoy the hustle and bustle of Tokyo and then hop the Shinkansen and enjoy a more relaxed pace in Kyoto. Tokyo has a rep as a very expensive city (and it can be if you let it) but it can also be surprisingly affordable and extremely easy to get around. There is plenty to see and do that time of year. Just a few include:

• The September grand sumo tournament at the Kokugikan in Tokyo runs from the 8th to the 22nd.
  • Most Mt. Fuji trails are scheduled to stay open until Sept.10th unless weather closes them early
  • Baseball regular season goes until the end of September
  • Bathe in a traditional hot spring bath (Onsen) in the evening as the temperature will be just about right
  • Visit Tanegashima Space Center (which is beautiful); maybe take in a launch

It is a unique and certainly memorable experience and can be both fun and relaxing. United flies nonstop from IAH and I believe Delta does from Atlanta. You can find decent deals on airfare depending on sales.

Whatever you decide to do, have fun!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.