Best place to visit in South America

3,063 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by jakeaggie84
BlueAg2003
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What are your favorites? I am thinking about a few different locations for summer 2020 (Thailand is on the list, as is Eastern Europe). Is there anywhere in South America that compares to these two?
Spore Ag
My favorite is the island is Chiloe. Southern Chilian island noted for their UNESCO churches, great food, variety of cultures.
My bucket list is to go to the Pantanal area in Bolivia.
SkiMo
AG
You could do an Argentina trip. Lots to see there. Get your fill of the big city, Buenos Aires, which is very European and head out to the wine country of Mendoza, and of course explore Patagonia.

Maybe check out Uruguay. I've not been, but I've heard it's great. Nice beaches and culture and the people are nice. Not many tourists go either which can be good or bad based on preference.
FrontPorchAg
Mendoza Argentina is pretty awesome.
All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others
HHAG
AG
Florianopolis, Brazil is awesome.
SkiMo
AG
HHAG said:

Never heard of it and just looked it up. Save to my "Want to Go" list.
HHAG
AG
Great city, superb beaches.
ToddyHill
AG
19 years ago I ran a point to point marathon...beginning at the base of the volcano in this picture, and ending near this church in Puerto Varas, Chile. The crazy thing about the trip...9 hour flight from DFW to Santiago, then another 90 minute flight south to Puerto Montt. The town sits on the shore of Llanquihue Lake, which is the second largest lake in Chile. Only changed two time zones and there was absolutely no jet lag. Had a great time and would go again if I could.

wessimo
AG
We're in El Chalten Argentina right now. Pretty awesome if you like hiking. I can't post pics now but here's a good thread:

https://texags.com/forums/34/topics/2995812/replies
chico
AG
Years ago I went all over Argentina. Tierra del Fuego was incredibly awesome. Scenic, nature, boat/channel tours, funky city (Ushuiaia?). Trelew has penguin colonies that I would walk right up to the new-born chicks. B.A is quite the hoppin' city as well. I took in a River Plate game and saw the bottle rockets go off in the stands and the riot police charge up the stairs - that was exciting!
The Kraken
AG
Machu Picchu. Just an amazing place.
YouBet
AG
SkiMo said:

You could do an Argentina trip. Lots to see there. Get your fill of the big city, Buenos Aires, which is very European and head out to the wine country of Mendoza, and of course explore Patagonia.

Maybe check out Uruguay. I've not been, but I've heard it's great. Nice beaches and culture and the people are nice. Not many tourists go either which can be good or bad based on preference.
I want this to be our next big trip.
malenurse
AG
I would add Ecuador, and then out to the Galpagos Islands.
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But, it's still on the list.
TXCityAggie
AG
I never get tired of going to Colombia. Medellin is one of my favorite cities in the world. There are some great beaches as well.
nomadic_ag
AG
Bolivia doesn't get enough credit. Google the Salar de Uyuni, Sucre, or Santa Cruz. Didn't love La Paz but dream of going back to Southeast Bolivia.
Tree Hugger
AG
I'll second Ecuador and the Galapagos.

My wife thought I was nuts when I said I wanted to go on a trip to see some boobies.
Zona81
AG
I'll second Medellin. One of my favorite cities in the world also.
KALALL
AG
Cartagena Colombia, Uyuni Bolivia, San Pedro De Atacama Chile, Buenos Aires, and Machu Picchu are all places that I've been that I would recommend. My next big south America trip will be Patagonia.
The Kraken
AG
If you do Colombia I'd visit Medellin, Bogota and Cartagena for a first visit. All have something to offer. The climate differences can be sometimes be quite dramatic though they are all located fairy close to each other.

Bogota: High in elevation, it's usually pretty cool. Bring a jacket.
Cartagena: Hot and humid, especially so in summer.
Medellin: "City of Eternal Spring"
randy828
AG
SkiMo said:

HHAG said:

Never heard of it and just looked it up. Save to my "Want to Go" list.
I have been and LOVED it. Great food and great beaches.

I am going to Buzios (and Rio) this summer and have rented a house for the family. Can't wait.
Stat Monitor Repairman
New World Ag said:

Cartagena: Hot and humid, especially so in summer.

Nice place ... that said ... it ranks #1 for me as the hottest most humid place I've ever been.
defroach
SkiMo said:

Literally doing this trip next month. Granted, not the Patagonia leg, but the rest. It also aligns with a total solar eclipse near Mendoza, so that'll be nice.

Been to all the places before, just going on a slower pace this time to relax and not rush.
Truvada_for_prep
Op Medellin you'll love the babes there
Aggie1391
Visiting all 3 next month. Any advice/tips/places to check out?
jakeaggie84
AG
Main camp at Buenos Aires and take a trip or two out to Tierra del Fuego or iguazu falls.

We did iguazu last time and it was pretty amazing. Rain forest and the boat tours are literally scary amazing taking you right up almost under the falls. Puts Niagra to shame.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.