Marriott vs Hilton rewards

2,815 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Squirrel Master
imjustsayin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've been with Hilton for years cause they've had the property availability to some of the more obscure places I travel, but with marriotts family of hotel brands growing through acquisition, this may be different.

Who do you use/prefer for hotel loyalty ...and why?

Discuss.
Fairview
AG
I was a Hilton guy for a long time (over 15 years) and made the switch last year. For me, a lot of the Hilton's I was staying out weren't as nice as they once were. I've found that a lot of people say the rewards systems isn't as good with Bonvoy as it was with Starwood but as you mentioned there are a ton of good hotel choices now.

I also have status at Hyatt because there are some Hyatt Regency's I like to stay at but For the most part it's a Bonvoy hotel now for me.
Jock 07
AG
I've always bounced between Hilton and Starwood. Preferred Starwood prosperities but they were much more limited in location than Hilton. SPG's redemption rates were always much better than Hilton's but that seems to have changed since the merger. I'm finding myself now going to Hiltons pretty much exclusively since the merger as a lot of the perks of being gold with SPG are gone now (welcome drink, free breakfast, etc)
62strat
AG
I started with Marriott 6 years ago and never looked back. The merger just makes the selection ridiculous now. 7,000+ properties or something like that?
ORAggieFan
I switched over 10 years ago from HH to Marriott. With the SPG acquisition, I really enjoy the hotel options.
Always_Right
AG
Lifetime platinum member with Marriott, as another poster said the merger with Starwood only made the selection of hotels better. The only thing that I haven't liked is the increase of points needed for higher end Marriott/Starwood properties from 45k a night to 60k.
htxag09
AG
FWIW, during Hilton's earnings call they announced a surge in membership from people switching from Marriott/SPG because of the merger. 20% growth of Hilton Honors members.

I don't travel for work anymore so don't pay a whole lot of attention, but one trend about Bonvoy that would worry me is the exit of luxury hotels. I specifically save my points to use for luxury hotels.
JMac03
AG
I am Marriott, hubs is Hilton. I feel like it is generally less points to stay at the Marriott chain than the Hilton. I prefer my Marriott amenities, but I also may be biased.
imjustsayin
AG
htxag09 said:

FWIW, during Hilton's earnings call they announced a surge in membership from people switching from Marriott/SPG because of the merger. 20% growth of Hilton Honors members.

I don't travel for work anymore so don't pay a whole lot of attention, but one trend about Bonvoy that would worry me is the exit of luxury hotels. I specifically save my points to use for luxury hotels.

Whoa, didn't realize they were removing the luxury properties... which ones?
htxag09
AG
They aren't removing them. Some luxury properties are just choosing to leave the portfolio.

The Points Guy Link
bufrilla
AG
Been with Marriott for over 20 plus years and been very satisfied. Also was with Hilton/IHG/Sheraton and dropped allot limited use. Also an owner with Marriott and stay a week somewhere every quarter, Definitely liked the merger. Platinum for Life Member with over a 1k nights and none business associated. Luxury Hotels do nothing for me, now Resorts are another thing (especially a week at a time). Marriott has always taken care of any problem I've had.
But the other programs are good, just personal preference.
breezecustomtravel
AG
Husband is now Marriott Lifetime Titanium (used to be Platinum, I think they just changed the names) and he loves it.
It's nice to have the option of upgrades and always being able to use concierge lounge (if available)
We also have Marriott Credit Card so we get points by using that most of the time.

He loves the new brands that they just merged with and is glad to have different options when he travels for work or when we travel on vacation.
Lauren K '07
www.breezecustomtravel.com
@breezecustomtravel
Austintm
Marriott, especially now with Starwood added. We have plenty of options to stay when we travel, which helps us keep Platinum status. With the 6x points per dollar for staying at a property using the Marriott card, easy to add up points. If you get the Ritz card, you get even more perks, like 3 club level upgrades at at Ritz per year. Ritz club is like none of the others, and you can't get the upgrades even with Platinum status.
ColoradoMooseHerd
breezecustomtravel said:

Husband is now Marriott Lifetime Titanium (used to be Platinum, I think they just changed the names) and he loves it.
It's nice to have the option of upgrades and always being able to use concierge lounge (if available)
We also have Marriott Credit Card so we get points by using that most of the time.

He loves the new brands that they just merged with and is glad to have different options when he travels for work or when we travel on vacation.
Had not even realized the switch from Platinum to Titanium. Wonder if they will be sending me a new Titanium Credit Card now
ColoradoMooseHerd
htxag09 said:

The list of hotels that left are really a non-factor for most people unless you travel to Dubai and a few other locations frequently. Only one that I saw that might be an issue for me is Princeville, but they were leaving for other reasons already.
ColoradoMooseHerd
htxag09 said:

They aren't removing them. Some luxury properties are just choosing to leave the portfolio.

The Points Guy Link
List is a really a non-starter, don't think most will be affected by the list
Squirrel Master
AG
ColoradoMooseHerd said:

breezecustomtravel said:

Had not even realized the switch from Platinum to Titanium. Wonder if they will be sending me a new Titanium Credit Card now
There is still a Platinum. Titanium replaces the Platinum Premier they created after the merger.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.