Long Weekend Recommendations

1,748 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by dcbowers
Tx95Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Our 20 year anniversary is coming up in June. We were saving money for a big 20th trip, but ended up going on a trip to Israel last year, spending what we saved and more. We are in Houston and have done San Antonio, New Orleans, Hill Country, etc. We also did a longer (distance/travel time) trip to Maine two years ago. Oh, and we've done Vegas.

I'm thinking 4 days of something relaxing with access to good food. Light to moderate hiking is ok. Art, shows, wine are all good. Prefer to drive, but I'm not opposed to a shorter flight, unlike the trip to Maine. Hot Springs, Santa Fe, Phoenix, some B&B somewhere in Texas (too hot?)? Anyone have a good suggestion?
TXCityAggie
AG
You could easily fly down here to Guatemala and spend a long weekend in Antigua. Flights have been very cheap lately. It's a beautiful colonial town with great restaurants, bars, plenty of things to keep you busy for a few days. It'a about a 2.5 hour flight from Houston.
TXTransplant
I love Phoenix/Scottsdale. Short flight, you gain a couple of hours flying over, nice resorts, lots of fun stuff to do in/around the area (the art museum and Desert a Botanical Garden in Phoenix are great, and a day trip to Sedona would be fantastic), but in June, it will be warm - probably the low 100s. But depending on what the weather in HOU is like, that might actually feel cooler, due to the reduced humidity.

I visited last July, and they were having a "cool front". It barely got over 100, and I thought the weather was great (it was definitely better than the weather back in Houston on the same days).
Ag_07
AG
Charleston

Short flight, great food, great sight seeing, head to Kiawah for a day for plenty of hiking/biking/nature trails
CanyonAg77
AG
If you like the artsy fartsy stuff, see if you can fly direct to ABQ, rent a car and head to Santa Fe. If it's hot, it's a quick drive up to Valles Caldera
Austintm
Lots of places in Colorado -- Beaver Creek, Aspen, Breck, Durango or my favorite, Telluride. And you get the benefit of betting out of the heat.
Tx95Ag
AG
Thanks for the suggestions. Guatemala sounds like a cool trip. I don't see cheap flights in June time frame, but need to settle on some exact dates.
TXCityAggie
AG
Tx95Ag said:

Thanks for the suggestions. Guatemala sounds like a cool trip. I don't see cheap flights in June time frame, but need to settle on some exact dates.
What airport would you be flying out of?
Tx95Ag
AG
Houston, either airport. Depart something like 27, 28 or 29 June, so back before the 4th.
Wicked Good Ag
Another vote for Charleston and maybe Savannah perfect for an extended weekend if you love food, history, potential beaches

Asheville also in that area works but a bit harder to get to but exploding and has nature/hiking
dcbowers
AG
Charleston, Savannah, and New Orleans are all great places to visit, but it will be hot in June/July. I would favor Colorado or Napa area (which is where we spent our 20th anniversary).

Btw, congrats on your 20th anniversary!
dcbowers
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.