Maui in May

2,271 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by breezecustomtravel
AggieZ2006
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Howdy, 14 year lurker here...

My partner and I are going to Maui for the first time. What hotels do y'all recommend? We're cool with a Four Seasons, but we'd like to be around restaurants, clubs,etc.

Many thanks
Austintm
If you are going to Mauai for the club scene you are going to be disappointed.

Haven't stayed at the Four Seasons but it's nice. Stay away from the Lahaina resort area crowded. Personally, I'd suggest the Ritz or Montage in Kapalua.
AggieZ2006
Great, not necessarily looking for clubs, but just didn't want to be in an area too far remote.

Any experience with the Westin or Regency?
Austintm
I have not stayed at those, but been to the Hyatt because there was a jet ski rental place we used on their beach. Westin is along the same beach (and we have eaten a a restaurant right by it).

This is the area I referred to above as being very crowded. Lots of people with young kids, wall-to wall tourists.

So the Kapalua area where the Ritz and Montage are is a 10-15 minute drive from that area, and a world of difference. The Outrigger is also right there.
AggieZ2006
Great advice... thanks!

Is Uber active on the island?
09Ag
AG
My gf and I stayed at the Westin in October 2017. The hotel has a nice pool scene, and we enjoyed being within walking distance of a lot of the bars and restaurants. Monkeypod is right next door and their Mai Tais were freakin awesome (by far the best I've had anywhere). It's definitely in the busy stretch of beach, but I prefer being near the action vs seclusion. Also, we went in October, which was probably a much less busy time of year (didn't seem crowded at all).
Austintm
I know it's there but haven't used it. I have used it on Oahu several times and it was fine.
AgOutsideAustin
AG
If you stay at the Four Seasons there is a Monkeypod restaurant right by it.
Hit up the 808 deli or Paia Fish Market in Kihei. If you stay up near Kapalua definitely go to Merriman's.
Austintm
Good restaurant suggestions. They are actually owned by the same group (and have locations on other islands we've been to locations on Oahu and Kauai as well). Merriman's is more upscale, but both have excellent food.
AggieZ2006
Thanks everyone. Sounds like the Four Seasons is a solid choice, however I've heard it's a tad remote.... for first timers, would the Westin be a good choice (walkable to other stuff)?
Austintm
AggieZ2006 said:

Thanks everyone. Sounds like the Four Seasons is a solid choice, however I've heard it's a tad remote.... for first timers, would the Westin be a good choice (walkable to other stuff)?
The only thing to walk to from the Westin are other resorts -- seriously. Look at a map. Whether you fight he crowds and stay at the Westin/resort area, or go "remote" to the Four Seasons or up to Kapalua, there is nothing to walk to other than the beach. I'm not sure what you are thinking this island is like, but it's not a place where you are going to be able to stay at a nice resort and walk anywhere other than (1) to restaurants or bars at or near other resorts; (2) the beach or (3) for a scenic hike. This is not Cancun.
AggieZ2006
Great advice... just have no idea what to expect.
TXTransplant
You'll be fine using Uber - we did when we were there a couple of summers ago.

Alternatively, you can rent a car. You should be able to get something for about $30/day. As long as the hotel where you're staying doesn't have an exorbitant charge for parking (and some of them do charge $30+/day for it), a rental car could be an economical choice compared to Uber.
09Ag
AG
Definitely disagree about not being able to walk anywhere from the Westin. Whalers village is literally right next door with tons of shops. It's also right next to Monkeypod/Leilani's/Hula grill, with Tiki bar a little further down. It's on a great stretch of beach, and it's a short walk to black rock for some of the best snorkeling. Plus all the beach activities (catamaran sunset and dinner cruises/jet skis) are stationed right in front of the hotel. Plus the pool area is a great place to hang out and have some drinks. You will still need a vehicle to check out some other places, but that area is a great base camp with lots to do.
09Ag
AG
We liked Merrimans, but it was super expensive and wasn't anything memorable. Mamas Fish House, however, was one of the best meals we've ever had, and the ambiance is spectacular. Paia Fish Market was also great for less expensive dinner options.

Old Lahaina Luau was a lot of fun if you want to drink and enjoy some cliche Hawaii tourist stuff...we'd probably do it again.

Favorite breakfast was at the Plantation House. Man I want to go back to Maui now. Mainly for those Monkeypod Mai Tais.
Austintm
09Ag said:

Definitely disagree about not being able to walk anywhere from the Westin. Whalers village is literally right next door with tons of shops. It's also right next to Monkeypod/Leilani's/Hula grill, with Tiki bar a little further down. It's on a great stretch of beach, and it's a short walk to black rock for some of the best snorkeling. Plus all the beach activities (catamaran sunset and dinner cruises/jet skis) are stationed right in front of the hotel. Plus the pool area is a great place to hang out and have some drinks. You will still need a vehicle to check out some other places, but that area is a great base camp with lots to do.
My point (if you read it) was that you can walk to places that are other resorts or restaurants near them exactly what I said, in fact. Which is what you are saying as well. The shopping, by the way, is nothing you can't get stateside. That whole area is a Hawaiian tourist trap.

It really depends on what you want. Westin is fine, but it is in the middle of a resort "city" in a crowded area. If that's what you want, it's the place to be.
Austintm
09Ag said:

We liked Merrimans, but it was super expensive and wasn't anything memorable. Mamas Fish House, however, was one of the best meals we've ever had, and the ambiance is spectacular. Paia Fish Market was also great for less expensive dinner options.

Old Lahaina Luau was a lot of fun if you want to drink and enjoy some cliche Hawaii tourist stuff...we'd probably do it again.

Favorite breakfast was at the Plantation House. Man I want to go back to Maui now. Mainly for those Monkeypod Mai Tais.
Merriman's is good, but the location and view are what makes it. Monkeypod is always a good choice. The whole chain is good we've had Merriman's on Maui and in Honolulu, Monkeypod at Ko Olina, and Merriman's FIsh House in Kauai. All are consistently good
09Ag
AG
Yes, if you stay at the Westin you will only be able to walk to: restaurants, bars, pools, resorts, shops, the beach, a great snorkeling spot and it's right next to where all the ocean activities are based. If you're looking for more than that in a base location good luck. If you're without your own car I would definitely recommend the location. If you want to just relax and be secluded, obviously that's the worst spot for you, but that's not the impression that I got from the OP.
Austintm
09Ag said:

Yes, if you stay at the Westin you will only be able to walk to: restaurants, bars, pools, resorts, shops, the beach, a great snorkeling spot and it's right next to where all the ocean activities are based. If you're looking for more than that in a base location good luck. If you're without your own car I would definitely recommend the location. If you want to just relax and be secluded, obviously that's the worst spot for you, but that's not the impression that I got from the OP.
Whatever you think. In the last 5 years, I've spent 2 weeks in Maui, 3 1/2 weeks in Oahu, and 3 1/2 weeks in Kauai. Also have a daughter that lives on Oahu so I get a lot of info from her. But I'm sure you know more tha I do, so go ahead.
09Ag
AG
Agreed
62strat
AG
09Ag said:

Agreed
Hey.. he's been to Maui for 2 weeks before, and his daughter lives over 100 miles away. I'm sure he knows every little detail about the island.

Goose
AG
I'd rent a car. Lots to see and do on Maui and the freedom to explore the island with a rental car (ideally a convertible) is part of the allure in my opinion.
AG
Ritz- Stayed there in May once (2005). Seemed like a long walk to the beach and Kapalua seemed pretty remote. That isn't a problem if that's what you want. Awesome hotel though. Also may have a greater chance of rain there.

Four Seasons- Stayed there in July 2005. Thought it was an amazing place with a shorter walk to the beach. I only stayed there one night. We had stayed at another hotel in Wailea earlier that week then went to Kauai and then came back to fly out of Maui. The other hotel in Wailea was the Renaissance and it's something different now. Wailea is also drier and hotter. Still pretty remote, just opposite side of the island.

Westin- Stayed there in June 2016. I liked it. Thought it had more of a family vibe so if kids drive you nuts, may need to consider that. It was windy as all get out when we were there. As in so windy, it was hard to stay on the beach because you just got sandblasted! This was closer to other stuff to do at night though if you want to get away from the hotel.

We used uber in 2016 without issue but also had a jeep rented. I think it's worth it to get out and drive around. I also think Mama's Fish House is a great idea. It also makes you get out and see other parts of the island. Just plan for traffic out of the resort areas to get up to Mama's. Leave with plenty of time before your reservation.
AggieOO
We stayed at the four seasons last June. Rooms are fairly standard, but the property is great.

Uber is easy, but I'd suggest renting a car for at least part of the time. Road to Hana is a must.
09Ag
AG
Download the Shaka tour audio guide app if you do road to Hana. I thought it made the trip a lot more entertaining. And you can hit up mamas fish house on the way back home.
AggieOO
09Ag said:

Download the Shaka tour audio guide app if you do road to Hana. I thought it made the trip a lot more entertaining. And you can hit up mamas fish house on the way back home.
Shaka tour was a fantastic recommendation from this board. Its a bit cheesy sometimes, but it was great.
Phat32
AG
Better threads for OP that don't have a guy ****ting all over one of the top travel destinations in the entire world:

https://texags.com/forums/54/topics/2886564/replies/49906456
https://texags.com/forums/54/topics/2947601/replies
https://texags.com/forums/54/topics/2889942/replies/50106570
breezecustomtravel
AG
Have had clients stay at Fairmont Kea Lani and they loved it. In fact, they are planning return trip soon.

They were trying to decide between Westin, Four Seasons, & Fairmont.
I think all are great choices.

Definitely would also recommend renting a car, a great way to see the island!
Lauren K '07
www.breezecustomtravel.com
@breezecustomtravel
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.